Accusound

January 17, 2006 at 11:32 PM · I'm back with another question for you :)

Does anyone have any experience with using Accusound's violin pickup? Here's the link:

http://proaudio.judicael.co.uk/accusound_violin_microphone.php

Is the price reasonable? I've heard it is a much better alternative to pickups that attach to the bridge. So what do you all think?

Lauren

Replies (4)

January 19, 2006 at 01:11 AM · I always liked Griff's pick-ups. I have now moved onto his hypercardioid mic, but the strips give the most accurate/loudest sound I know of, IF and only if you learn how to position them properly on your violin.

gc

January 23, 2006 at 09:49 AM · Ok thanks for the recommendation... I'll have to check them out. But don't strips stick right on the violin body? Because I prefer something that clips to, say, the tailpiece so there's no risk of damaging the wood or finish. Could you post a link to the Griff's site? I googled it but couldn't find a website :)

One last question for you: What exactly is the difference between a violin pickup vs. a mic? I will be using this to play with a band, so which do you recommend and why?

January 23, 2006 at 08:41 PM · A pickup typically rests against the instrument -- either the body or the bridge -- and picks up the vibrations from it. A good pickup will have a very accurate sound, but with no ambience or color, no bow noise, etc.

A microphone hovers over the instrument (I find that with mine, I put it over the bass sound hole) and does what a microphone does. A good microphone will reproduce the real character of the violin, because you're literally playing into it at very close range.

How loud a band, and what style?

If it's super-loud, may I suggest earplugs to protect your hearing? Heck, I bring earplugs into loud movie theaters.

If you're in a rock band, you might have a good time with a pick-up, because it won't sound quite so acoustic. Don't forget to add a wah-wah pedal or a distortion box. ;)

If you're in a jazz or country band, you might prefer a microphone because you get more of the real live acoustic fiddle sound.

February 3, 2006 at 02:51 PM · No, the band is not terribly loud...some stuff we play is more country, some more rocky, so I kinda want to stick with the accoustic sound. Thanks for your help! Violin mic here I come...

:)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe