Igor Ozim

January 13, 2006 at 08:43 AM · Hello!

Does anyone have thoughts on the teaching of Igor Ozim, or any other teachers in Austria?

Thank you!

Replies (24)

January 13, 2006 at 09:38 AM · hello ! i've heard a lot about Ozim,thought i study with Kuschnir.

i have a few friends who study with him and they're verry happy. as i understood, when someone comes to a lesson with him,the piece you have to play has to be perfect,already.

then he starts working on the music,in a verry detailed way. cant tell you more,never played for him...

if you come to Austria,let me know !:)

January 13, 2006 at 06:36 PM · Alexandra is totally right. Everything you do in the lesson has to be already at a very high level because he is not willing to put the time and effort in overseeing every little technical mistakes that the student makes. His musical approach is very cold and brain calculated, as well as his fingerings. But he is a very interesting teacher. His studio's level is generally extremely high and he is in juries for eve4ry competitions. In austria, besides Ozim, there is Kushnir, whom I think is more of and old fashioned traditional teacher that takes you from point A to point Z and teaches you how to live as well as how to play the violin.

January 14, 2006 at 09:20 AM · wow Paul you're sooo right !! i came to Kuschnir when i was 10, and we started everythzing from the begining as he (as long as i know) does with anybody.

he taught me how to live,how to THINK,how to practice. i consider him as my father, also because he has only 7 or 8 students,so we're like a family:)but working with him is not always easy: he can make you practice one line for 2 hours. and then on the next lesson the wholoe piece should be perfect in tempo, so you never know !!! but i love him:)

January 14, 2006 at 02:43 PM · Prof. Kuschnir is indeed very famous, and judging by his students is a very accomplished teacher. Out of sheer curiosity, what is his method for dealing with technical problems in students. For example, does he pick and choose the etudes acccording to the persons weaknesses or does he go about it systematically (basically giving all of etudes from lets say, Dont to a person who had not previously played Dont). Also, does he insist on scales? Thanks to all who answer :).

January 14, 2006 at 03:43 PM · well, i started with Professor when i was 10,everything from open strings, and scales. that took us about 7 months. he's doing that with everybody who enters his class,or most of the time anyway.

we did Schradek, and then double notes scales. a few small pieces... and then Paganini Concerto number 1 :)

anyone who's in his class will tell you that we consider him a a "doctor" : if you practice and pracitce and something just doesnt work,he'll find out in 2 minutes, and explain WHY the problem is and HOW to make it well. in fact he works a lot with us: at least 3 times a week.

he expects a lot from his students, too...

when i came first to him,with my father (who's a violinist too) and played for him, he talked with us, and then i remember he asked:

" so how much do you practice a day?" my father said: "about 4 hours" and he replied: "well all my students work at least 9 hours a day" :) i asked him a few years later about it, and he replied he just wanted to tell me know that he wants the best, and that i should practice as much as i NEED ( what i've been doing before anyway:) )

but i have to say that i was 1 year a private student from him, because he always takes time to see how the contact goes between him and his student. as long as i know, it worked !!;)))

January 14, 2006 at 04:43 PM · Ah, thanks for your illuminating answer:). One more question, I noticed that you said that your father is a violinist. So, did you study the purely technical repertoire with him (again, I am talking of etudes and scales)?

January 14, 2006 at 06:07 PM · my father studied with Spivakov and Berlinsky ( chellist from borodin quartet) in Moscow. he has been my first teacher and till i came to Professor i used to play a looooot of technical stuff. most of all small pieces like Molinara,or the Last rose, or other stuff like that. he didnt really go deep into me, not like Kuschnir who's actually makes me feel sometimes as he was a psychanalist, and after some lessons i feel tired and "empty", but in a verry good way !! :)

its true that with my father we did a lot technichly and i was happy that even after starting all over again from open strings,all the technique didnt go away!!

i used to play scales a lot,everyday... now, whoever, i have my "weekly programm", wich includes once a week ALL the possible scales, in double notes,etc...

i also play the 4th Schevchik book quite a lot:hard but useful ;)

always happy to help you in any way i can o:)

January 14, 2006 at 07:17 PM · Thanks!:)

January 14, 2006 at 07:36 PM · Thank you Alexandra for sharing your experiences with us!

I'd like to ask a further question about you starting with prof. Kuschnir. At that time you had played for years and practised really a lot with your father ( I assume most of the time practising with someone helping and watching you). And you got to study with prof. Kuschnir, so you must have played extremely well for your age then. What was his aproach? Did you have to actually change things like like left hand position or bow hold etc. or did he just want to take the basics you knew to a new level?

January 14, 2006 at 08:10 PM · hello Janne. :) yes my dad used to work as much as he could with me ( he still tries but i'm not shure weither thats a good idea....)

Prof.Kuschnir changed a lot from the left hand,like the position of the fingers and made it easier for me because i have an extremly small hand. he adapted some things so it could be better.

he also changed a bit my right hand, but i cant really explain it thought internet thats pretty hard... he made me aware of things i didnt know,like some muscles,and some bones (in the fingers)wich can be really helpful for a nice sound !! :))

i think the biggest change he did was...in my head !!! he changed totally my view of playing violin, wich when i came to him was:

" verry serious work, making my parents happy, and play a lot of concerts" to

" playing violin and on stage is FUN, practicing is FUN (if you know how) and life is BEAUTIFUL" !!!!! he made my aware that i was good, because my father always put me down(he didnt want to, he just wanted the best for me... but you know parents;) )

are you guys all gonna come to Vienna?? :)) that would be cool;)))

January 15, 2006 at 08:36 PM · Alexandra

Is the feed of you playing Paganini 1 still available on the web? A fantastic performance I might add, and a well deserved victory.

David

January 15, 2006 at 09:09 PM · thank you David. :) are you the one who wrote me an email? i think it is still on the web but you know i never look actually...i was 2 years ago, so i recon i play better now :)

January 15, 2006 at 09:15 PM · I second David, I recently had the chance to see that video...fanastic, great job.

January 16, 2006 at 12:02 AM · No, it was'nt me.

David

January 16, 2006 at 08:52 AM · thanks guys, its really nice to hear that after 2 years,some people still wanna see that video !!!

but this year will be the new Eurovision, and people will just forget that i played some time in 2004 this contest. but thats normal !:)

January 16, 2006 at 10:59 AM · and by the way we're supposed to speak about Prof. Ozim here !!! not about Kuschnir nor me!! :)

January 16, 2006 at 03:32 PM · But lets do it for the sake of diversity :).

January 16, 2006 at 04:34 PM · I second David, Alexandra. You played the heck out of that Paganini. =)

January 16, 2006 at 05:31 PM · Thank you so much for the feedback!

January 16, 2006 at 06:22 PM · Well, about Ozim..He is a very organized man. He has special scales that he wrote as a variation on Galamian, crazy martele bowings etc...also He has like a book shelve filled with all the concertos, pieces and anyuthing written for the violin, with the bowings and fingerings neately written and he has like four copies of each part. And everytime you're going to play something, he gives you the music and you have to play exactly what's written. When coming across an interpretation problem he will always go for good taste and logic. It's an interesting experience though

January 17, 2006 at 03:11 PM · Actually, I really thinks he does. But I don't remember him owning a strad...anyway.

January 17, 2006 at 03:40 PM · Guys, you should go check that web site...it's pretty interesting:

http://pro.wanadoo.fr/bach.bogen/index.htm

or just go to google and type Bach.Bogen, I've never seen that before

February 5, 2006 at 01:41 PM · I studied for Igor Ozim during a year in Cologne and I really found his teaching extremely helpful! He has a very analytical mind and has almost an engineering approach to solving your technical problems. We worked mainly on my right hand deficiencies and he really opened my eyes how the mechanics works. I regret very much that I didn't studied with him in my early youth. He's musical interpretations are extremely logical and makes a lot of sense. I always felt it's up to the student to take it from there and take his musical framework and add whatever personality and passion to his foundation. Summa summarum: a very intelligent and efficient teacher with outstanding results.

February 6, 2006 at 03:42 AM · Thank you so much for your helpful advice!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe