Collapsing 4th finger in vibrato

January 11, 2006 at 07:14 AM · Help help help, please. Ase you always have.

During my break I have been starting vibrato practise, using the exercise for beginers on vio masterclass - resting the wrist against the heel, practising with all fingers in fourthe position just trying to get a steady rocking motion with my wrist. I think I'm doing okay with everything but my fourth finger. I have always had to watch it for collapsing - I can't even force myself to get it to collapse until I have a violin neck near it, but it always wants to flex at the metacarpal, and at the first interphalangeal (finger) joint, then it extends for the 2nd and 3rd interphalangeals. When I'm being studious, I can make it curve, I try to make it fall like a little piano hammer, and usually I can do that. But obviously I've been fooling myself, because in trying vibrato, the apalling position of this little finger is clar. It actually feels like it locks into its collapsed posture, and I can't 'make' it curve. Needless to say, I can't possibly vibrate with a finger like that.

What to do?

PS to Buri, I have now taken delivery of the Kievman practise book. His wife Mura is gorgeous. and the book's good too. thanks for the advice.

Replies (1)

January 11, 2006 at 01:07 PM · Lower-string players sometimes use a hand-held strengthening device to make fingers stronger. I wonder if your pinky would benefit from this? Or, squeeze a tennis ball with curved pinky?

Just a thought.

You might also have a weak joint and I have seen some finger braces advertised for this kind of thing...to support the joint and make it more useable. But I would suggest the strengthening exercise first.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe