Little 4th finger's complain!!!!!!

January 8, 2006 at 10:37 PM · It would have been a great help if I could do something with the pain on my little 4 th finger , [left hand ] , when playing my violin .

Is it because I am exerting pressure too much or straining on the little finger ?

Then I wonder how I can relax it ?

Replies (8)

January 9, 2006 at 04:24 AM · Practice your grip. Get a soft sack or a rubber ball, and squeeze it 50 times, and repeat that 4 times a day. Over time, you will build up strength.

January 9, 2006 at 08:07 AM · Greetings,

aside from squeezing balls there are a lot of posisble reasons.

One might be that your hand is too far back towards the scroll and your little finger is constantly over stetched. You can work on this by practicing thirds in which the fourth and second finger are [placed while the others remain in the air. Once these are comfortable and nicel curved stretch backwards for the lower third. This is the opposite of normal practice.

Anothe rpossibility is that you are rotating the violin up incorrectly . The axis of rotation is the little finger side of the arm. The The thumb side swivels around this to put the instrument up.

Or you have serious tension problems in the base joint of the first finger. Lots of stopping and checking/releaing.

Or you have tension in the base joint of the thumb which is linked to the little finger. Practice with the scroll supported and the thumb off. Or do the wiping exercises. Eternal vigilance.

Or you are pressing too hard with the third finger.

You might try playing extende dpassages with no pressure (a la harmonics) then 25 percent weight, then fifty then 75% until you find exactly what the maximum pressure required is and no more.

Check that your little finger is above the elbow . That means that when you change string the elbow position changes.

Cheers,

Buri

January 9, 2006 at 09:00 AM · Mine used to hurt, but then it stopped and is fine now...don't know if this helps. Maybe has something to do with the balance of the hand?

January 9, 2006 at 01:44 PM · Hi,

Buri and Jenna make good points. A common cause. You don't bring your left elbow far enough inside when you playing forcing the over-extension of the finger. Buri probably said that one, but that is a common one that I have observed.

Cheers!

January 10, 2006 at 01:10 AM · Greetings,

yes I did, but it bears repetition. Whereas this ball squeezing stuff is best kept in the murkier regions of ones private life.

Cheers,

Buri

PS One thing I did forget was to ask where the pain is and what kind is it. This is an important question. If it is a burning sensation in the tip then one should of course, stop playing immediately and desist until healed. This kind of nerve damage can be fatal to careers.

January 10, 2006 at 07:49 AM · Lol stephen- "aside from squeezing balls"

Come on......... You have to admit thats funny.

February 7, 2006 at 01:01 AM · If it was Golfer's Elbow (medial epicondylitis), you'd probably feel the pain in the elbow....I experienced this a while ago and it is no fun. I believe it was a result of extending the pinky to make up for an arm that wasn't under the violin enough.

Good luck!

Daniel

February 7, 2006 at 02:54 AM · make sure that your left wrist isnt popping out away from the violin, but rather slightly pushed in. When it is puching out it makes the wrong muscles work (lower knuckle muscles) instead of the actual 4th finger.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe