Is it worth it?

January 7, 2006 at 08:56 PM · I'd like your opinion on something. Nigel Kennedy is coming to Perth in March to perform Vivaldi's Four Seasons concertos. It's being held in an outdoor venue (Kings Park). What I want to ask is whether it would be worth paying the $70 to go and see.

To my mind, it's a lot of money (considering that A reserve tickets to a concert in the Concert Hall would cost about $30), but I'm not likely to get a chance to see Nigel Kennedy again.

What do you think? Should I see Kennedy, or save my money and put it into a recording or three?

Replies (10)

January 7, 2006 at 11:23 PM · Hmm, at first I didn't recall who you were talking about. So I googled him. No I personally wouldn't bother. But I am biased, I only want to hear Baroque music preformed on period inst. Also his vibrato sounds nervous, and that bothers me. If you like it, than go. I would give my sense of smell to hear Itzak in concert. He could play twinkle, I wouldn't give a damn. I missed my opportunity. If he is your Jascha Heifitz, than go for it man. It's "just" money.

January 7, 2006 at 11:29 PM · Greetings,

nobody can tell you whether or not to save your money. But the issue of value is fairly straightforward. Whatever the venue, how much would you pay to hear any -top- violinist (Perlman ,Kavakos, Tetzlaff et al) compared to that price.

Cheers,

Buri

January 8, 2006 at 05:07 AM · In my opinion, Mr. Kennedy is just about the only touring violinist I wouldn't pay money to see.

Regardless of my half baked opinions, you should decide whether or not you like his playing. If nothing else, you will learn something. He's a totally awesome violinist, I just don't get him.

January 8, 2006 at 10:47 AM · Greetings,

well, he does need the money to repair the hotel rooms he smashes up en route,

Cheers,

Buri

January 8, 2006 at 01:54 PM · Hi,

I would suggest the opposite. Go. I think that it is good and important to see as many people as possible. There is always something to learn and knowledge is worth more than 70$. Plus, no recording can compare to a live concert. It's just not the same.

Cheers!

January 8, 2006 at 03:21 PM · go and see him! He didnt sell a million vivaldi records for nothing you know. :-)

January 8, 2006 at 05:01 PM · If enough people stay away from concerts with high prices then prices will drop. This is true of sports as well as music. The top artists deserve a good living, as do CEO's of major corporations, but the bar is ridiculously high. I have heard some of my favorite quartets in the last few years, all in the 35 to 50 dollar per ticket range (that's four players, right?). I don't know of a violinist alive I would pay 70.00 to see and hear. I think enough is enough, and I for one am not going to feed the monster. Don't tell me about expenses because lower-level artists (sometimes superior musicians, IMO) manage on far, far less.

Bottom line: if you think someone is worth it, pay up and enjoy. If not, spend your money elsewhere.

January 8, 2006 at 05:30 PM · The concert is outdoors. It's summer there. Just get as close to it as you can to hear and save your $70. Make it a picnic.

January 8, 2006 at 09:40 PM · I personally wouldn't spend $70 to see Kennedy but I did spend about that much to see Zukerman this coming Thursday. If you like him and really want to see it and have the money than go. I wouldn't spend that much money to see someone I don't like very much just for the sake of going or whatever. Everyone has a different opinion on what's worth what. If you enjoy his playing and think it's worth it than by all means go.

January 9, 2006 at 06:54 AM · A few days ago I watched (on Australian TV) Nigel play the Four Seasons with a Polish Chamber Orchestra. Very amusing (occasional shouts of "Oi" from all the players, sword fights with the 2nd Violinist using his bow, walking around amoung the audience, super long cadenzas...) The ticket price is steep. I would go out and buy a dvd of his performance. If you have a bit of money to throw around though, I am sure it would be a very entertaining night.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe