Choosing conservetoire place,Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama vs. Birmingham Conservatoire

January 5, 2006 at 06:04 AM · I have just been offered places to do my BMus at both the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama , and Birmingham Conservetoire. Has anyone for V.com studied in either of these institutions who could give me some feedback on what it is like to live and study there? At the moment I am leaning towards the RWCMD but am still open to feedback positive and negative that could help me decide.

Many thanks and happy new year!

Replies (11)

January 5, 2006 at 11:40 AM · Can anybody help?

January 5, 2006 at 06:10 PM · Congratulations!

I'm in the same year as you!, but I'll be studying at Trinity College of Music later this year.

I've spent the last year looking round all the UK colleges and auditioning for them all.

My personal preference would be Birmingham Conservatoire, due to reputation, standard,

location and the links it has with CBSO.

There are 3 things I would advise to look at when choosing a college.

Teacher - it is so important to get the correct teacher, I suggest researching things they've done in the past, ask your current teacher if they can advise, speak to current students at the colleges and most of all - arrange consultation lessons.

Location - Go and visit the two cities, find out about the facilities, and just get a feel for the place, imagine what it would be like to study there for four years. You might also want to take into account living expenses, I think Birmingham is more expensive than Cardiff.

College - I'm sure everyone will be able to say that each college has its own personality, and they are all very different.

Both BC and RWCMD are very friendly places, I would say that there is more of a family atmosphere at the Welsh college,but it really depends on your preferences.

Have a look at the courses and opportunities available.

Birmingham is well known for it's Early music department.

I hope this has been some help, and that you enjoy wherever you are going to go!

EDIT - Sorry, misread your post.

I haven't studied at either so you can ignore my comment. lol, whoops.

January 5, 2006 at 06:58 PM · Thanks for your response! congrats on getting into Trinity,my teacher studied there and her teacher still teaches there! I really liked both colleges but the RWCMD is my first choice.

Good luck,

Lauren

January 5, 2006 at 07:18 PM · This isn't an answer to your question, Lauren, but I was wondering if you or Hannah had ever visited the RAM in your search. I started a thread in pursuit of information, and it would appear you two know the UK music colleges and conservatories. Hannah, you had some insightful comments here - anything on the RAM?

Sorry to hijack your thread, Lauren - hope you don't mind! Congrats to you on being offered places at both institutions, and good luck to you in whichever you choose. And I hope, for both of us, that more people chime in here and offer their opinions. I find it all very interesting.

January 6, 2006 at 05:03 PM · Hi Terez

Sorry but the only academy that I didn't visit was the RAM. Sorry I'm not much help on this one,where abouts can I find your online writing by the way?

January 7, 2006 at 02:24 AM · Thanks, Lauren. And to answer your question, If you Google me using the last name Rose instead of Mertes, you'll find some of my writing stuff online.

January 8, 2006 at 06:28 PM · Anyone else have any opinion???

January 9, 2006 at 11:48 AM · Can nobody give me any feedback???? :(

January 9, 2006 at 02:58 PM · Lauren, I'm gnashing my teeth alongside you here - would love to hear people's opinions. Oh well...

January 9, 2006 at 04:23 PM · Terez, I might be able to help you with your RAM research.

I live a 20 minute drive away, and have been there about 4/5 times on different occasions, I also have friends who study there.

What is it exactly you want to know?

January 10, 2006 at 04:59 AM · Ooh, Hannah! I'll send you a private message and ramble there.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe