I need some suggestions for pieces I may play next.

November 9, 2005 at 09:22 PM · Hi

I have been playing Sarasate's Zigeurnerweisen for couple months and my teacher wants me to decide which piece I want to do after this one.. and I'm in a dilemma. So I was wondering if there is any good piece I could play.

I would be very much appreciative for any input, thank you.

Replies (6)

November 9, 2005 at 11:24 PM · Are you looking for showpieces or very deep musical pieces? What have you played thus far?

November 10, 2005 at 12:11 AM · Greetings,

George`s answer reflects the basic impossibilty of giving an answer to this kind of question. Aside from his veyr important observation about the kind of piece you -need- next there is no way of telling whether you were approaching the Sarasate as a means of drawing your tehcnique up or it was well within your capabilities and was designed to bring out some stylistic aspects of your musical knowledge or what....

One way you can help yourself is to consult the Asta list of pieces and find out how they have been graded roughly speaking. Then acocrding to an honest evaluation of how you relate to the pice you might choose to play a piec eform the same level, go up a grade or even back down one for some consolidation work if the Saraste was designed to really overstretch you which is an approach teachers use on ocassion.

Cheers,

Buri

November 10, 2005 at 12:21 AM · This topic is becoming quite trite...simple suggestion, ask your instructor for his/her ideas.

November 10, 2005 at 01:16 AM · violinmasterclass.com has a list of graded repertoire and you could get some ideas there.

November 10, 2005 at 09:48 AM · You could listen to a lot of music and see if something grabs you. Hopefully, it would be something appropriate.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Anne Akiko Meyers Shining Night
Anne Akiko Meyers Shining Night

Johnny Gandelsman at The Wallis
Johnny Gandelsman at The Wallis

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Mio Cannone Violini
Mio Cannone Violini

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Heifetz Institute: Crescendo

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe