Need a New Violin Case

August 29, 2005 at 03:56 PM · Hey everyone!

I bought a unlabeled violin for about one to two thousand dollars (or 9,500 Yen in China where I got it) about 2 years ago. It has a extremely nice tone and a huge sound. It came with a average case: 2 bow holders, one storage compartment, blue blanket, light (styrofoam)

Recently, I bought another bow for $500 made of pernumbuco (spell?) wood from Brazil. I don't know if this matters, but when I had one bow, I stored it on the bottom bow rack in the case with the bow hair facing down, because the bow couldn;t fit in the upper section unless the hair was facing up. (I always believed that was bad for the hair, Not really sure though. Is it?) The outside screws on my case are also starting to fall off and the little ribbon (you know, the thing normally on the right side that keep the case from opening to a 180o angle?) ripped off.

I need a fairly cheap new violin case (less than $175 or around that price)perferably with:

1. 4 bow holders

2. A hydrometer (Thing that tells the humidity)

3. A zipper on the outside of the case for music storage, etc.

4. A good looking inside and out =P

I was searching through the cases on Sharmusic yesterdy and came up with this case

http://sharmusic.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=537SP+BLU+44&Cat=

Will someone tell me if it's any good? If not, what do you recommend?

Replies (21)

August 29, 2005 at 04:16 PM · God and cheap violin case:

http://store.musicbasics.com/vln-cs630-light-brown.html

Only 92,90 !

Deluxe Oblong Case ( $187.50 ):

http://www.stringworks.com/vlncases.htm

August 30, 2005 at 07:31 PM · Thanks EF, I checked them out. The first:Good features but I seriously don't like the look.

The second: I'll keep it in mind... Little over what my parents would probably spend though.

August 30, 2005 at 12:53 PM · Bobelock has relatively inexpensive cases. Try the Johnson String Instruments web site or your local luthier.

August 30, 2005 at 08:01 PM · I ordered something from music basics a couple years ago and was impressed. They don't have just the same old stuff. They're in Queens, N.Y.

Linda, you should get the first case. Notice the cover has a full pocket. From the enlargements you can even see a subway handle. Plus the cover is suede. Crazy at that price. It's probably not as yellow as the picture, but I'd like it even if it was. If it hurts your eyes you can always send it back.

August 30, 2005 at 08:17 PM · Ooh, I'm in the market for a new case too and hadn't gotten around to posting for recommendations, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in your thread, Linda.

I'm seriously thinking of this one:

http://store.musicbasics.com/vln-cs400.html

Not as much of a steal as the suede Centurion, but I prefer the waterproof cover and the inside setup. I don't travel with my instrument or live in extreme weather conditions so I just want something with good storage that protects my instrument against bumping around. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Thanks, Karin

August 30, 2005 at 11:50 PM · Personally, I love ProTec cases...

~Jessica

August 31, 2005 at 12:00 AM · Thanks for the recommendation, Jessica. I've decided not to buy online, at least until after I've looked at some stuff in a violin shop. I'm just not comfortable making a decision unless I can see what I'm buying.

September 3, 2005 at 03:14 PM · As you know, you get what you pay for.

All of the cases under $200 are made cheaply and most likely in China.

I have had my GEWA Jaeger Original- Brown case for 20 years, and it is as good as new. They are built like a Tank. I have dropped my case once, and the fiddle did not even go out of tune.

These cases are not cheap, but worth every penny of the initial investment. Afterall, your prized posession will be stored in it, you don't want the case to be falling apart within a year as before.

Just a thought!

September 3, 2005 at 03:51 PM · Hee, I get your point Gennady. How much was your case?

September 3, 2005 at 05:03 PM · Hi,

Linda, shar has come up with an excellent case called Courier. Looks very nice and has all the features you want, and the price seems unusually good at 139$. I don't own one, so I can't vouch for it, but it might be something to consider as it seems fairly good (at least in pictures).

Cheers!

September 3, 2005 at 05:17 PM · to Christian:

As I have stated just previously, most cases under $200 are made in China including the one made for Shar. I have seen it and there is no comparison w/the GEWA Jaeger case. If the Shar case fell, I doubt the fiddle would survive in it.

to Linda:

20 years ago (when I was a student), the classic model was about $375.

Today Gewa makes several models between $289-$1,568.

September 4, 2005 at 06:34 AM · Hello,

Gennady, you are right. Personally I use a case made of airplane aluminium and steel by a Montréal company called Valises d'Aluminium Rouillard. I have had it for a long time (14 years this fall), it was expensive, but it is probaly the safest case out there.

It is true that you get what you pay for, and with cases like Jaergar and Gorge you really get what you pay for: outstanding quality. However, in the below 200 range, there isn't too much and this case seemed the nicest.

I know a world famous violinist who carries his Strad in a moonshaped case by like Heritage or something. Like he told me, it's not like he is going to through it around either, so in the end it is relative...

Cheers!

September 3, 2005 at 06:47 PM · hi linda,

i'd suggest you get pretty much the cheapest case you can find- as long as it's not broken and isn't too heavy, and start saving up for a high-quality case..

the three cases that i got for around 200-300 (canadian) all fell apart within three years. i guess you could argue that i could've got it fixed, but often that costs almost as much as buying a new one.

i got sick of buying a new case every few years, so i went out and bought a musafia- and it's still like the day i bought it! had i just gotten the musafia to start with, i would've saved about $700...

September 3, 2005 at 07:20 PM · I think if you're going to buy a case for safety, get a Musafia Enigma.

They have tested those cases under ludicrous conditions, and they are quite confident that as a case it outperforms anything else.

I've ordered an Enigma and it will come in another month.

September 4, 2005 at 02:29 AM · caveat emptor - cheap price means cheap build quality.

BUT, if you want a case for a lifetime, check out the Calton cases of Calgary. http://www.cybozone.com/fg/calton.html

In a Calton case, your violin will withstand airport luggage handling. Not cheap cases, but required for any one who goes on the road.

September 4, 2005 at 06:11 AM · I'll second Pieter on the Musafia cases.

I've owned several (changed a few times until I settled on a model I liked), covering most of their lineup from their standard luxury model up to an Enigma (a $1500+ case that's better equipped than your average family auto). I currently use a prototype model dart case (which is now in production).

However, it's up to you to decide if a $500+ investment in a case is worthwhile for your instrument.

September 6, 2005 at 12:29 AM · I personally would love a Musafia. Unfortunly, my dad wouldn't spend 1.5 k on a case if he was in the best mood in the world. I'll buy a cheap case now, wait til I can get a job and then buy one myslef. Unless, I chenged my mind by then of course :o

September 9, 2005 at 03:01 AM · I got my case on eBay. It is somewhat like that brown case except black ballistic nylon cover on the outside, emerald green plush inside. 4 bow holders (like I will ever have 4 bows), fitted place for the violin, two spring-closing compartments (one perfect for rosin and peg dope, and the other is great for my Bonmusica shoulder rest and my tuner). I keep my polishing cloth under the neck of the violin (which is held in place by velcro). There is a full length pocket on the outside of the case for music. It is not a $1500 case but works for me. :)

September 9, 2005 at 03:42 AM · ooh- i'd be careful with cases off ebay- i got a double case for travelling with my violin and viola this summer, and out of the 4 bow spinners, only two were wide enough on the tip-end to actually fit a bow in without literally cramming it in.. so i only carried one violin bow and one viola bow.. and one really heavy crappy violin bow for 'just incase' cuz i didn't want to ruin a nicer spare bow.

oh, and the rings that you attach the straps onto weren't made of strong enough material- they were literally wires- one pulled apart so much that the strap kept slipping off- and on my last flight of the summer, the ring itself fell off the case. sure it was like, $70 before shipping, but it was ridiculously inconvenient.. i still can't believe only two of the bow spinners could actually fit bows... i also developed a wicked right-hand palm-callus from having to carry the thing all summer, not to mention elbow problems.. never underestimate the importance of the strap on your case!

September 9, 2005 at 01:57 PM · Probably as with most everything, there are good and bad products on eBay. If you're going to get something, do some research on the vendor and the products they've sold. That will help tip the scales towards making a successful purchase.

I have a case from eBay that, to this point, am satisfied with. I've had it for only 1.5 years so it would still have to prove itself for longevity. But it demonstrates none of the problems mentioned in the earlier post. One of bow spinners came loose (not locking open or closed) however and I had to take it off and make sure the nut in-behind didn't loosen with usage (with a spot of glue on the thread). Not a big deal but some might not be comfortable in such maintenance. The price was certainly right -- around $US 50 before shipping.

August 24, 2008 at 03:48 AM · Musafia cases are nice ... for a violin that's about 2k any bam would be sufficent eneough for protection though the looks arent that luxurious but are all together more practical.. a stretto system can be added for a 50 bucks for humidity etc.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Anne Akiko Meyers Shining Night
Anne Akiko Meyers Shining Night

Johnny Gandelsman at The Wallis
Johnny Gandelsman at The Wallis

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Mio Cannone Violini
Mio Cannone Violini

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Heifetz Institute: Crescendo

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe