Isaac Stern - Life's Virtuoso DVD

April 16, 2005 at 03:52 AM · This was a very touching DVD of one of my favorite violin virtuosos. I could never get enough of Isaac. I have him on old Jack Benny radio shows, I've watched him on the Jack Benny TV show, I saw him perform the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto on television in about 1962. He played Brahms at Chapman College in Orange, California in

1965, and my father and I went to see the him. I had seen Benno Rabinoff(aka Rubinoff) some years earlier, but now I was seeing a really serious musician. It was the culmination of one of my dreams. He was one of my heroes. My Dad was double lucky. He and his father had gone to see Heifetz

in 1939. It was SRO and they had to stick their heads from each side of a pillar which was blocking their view. Has it been so long since 1965, when Isaac Stern was young and vital and full of youthful energy? This is a short, poignant overview of his life. The scenes in the DVD pass too quickly as the scenes have passed too quickly in this life. Watching Isaac's career in 60 minutes was too short. I could have watched for hours. My cheeks were wet the whole time I watched this short video. If you knew something of Isaac, I'm sure your reaction will be the same. The only negative I have was that it was all too short. Good Bye, friend Isaac, we'll all miss you very much. Just know that you have made many lives much richer. Thankfully we hear and see Isaac playing through the whole video. What a great man and, may I say, friend of all of his listeners.

Replies (10)

April 16, 2005 at 04:18 AM · He is my favorite too. I have the DVD also, I wish it showed Isaac playing more.

April 16, 2005 at 06:00 AM · Yes, there was a wholesomeness to his playing, wasn't there; he was a player whose sound, phrasing was so very close to the human voice it could almost be mistaken for it.

April 5, 2008 at 01:26 PM · I highly recommend Stern's autobiography "My First 79 Years" and his video "From Mao to Mozart."

April 6, 2008 at 04:14 AM · I will blow my own horn here. I wrote in my blogs dated June 16 and July 6, 2006, about some very moving parts of Isaac Stern's autobiography. I hope you'll enjoy or appreciate them.

April 6, 2008 at 06:04 AM · I wish I had seen him when he was visiting Shanghai back in '79. I don't know how many times I watched the DVD "From Mao to Mozart". What an incredible musician and an extraordinary man! I got a real kick out of scene of finding a playable piano in Shanghai, especially how he dealt with the attitude of "nothing we can do about it..." The man could move the mountain:)

Thank you Ole Borneman, for starting this thread and for the recommendation. Al, thank you again for directing me to the "From Mao to Mozart"!

April 6, 2008 at 03:20 PM · The original post was from 2005. I wonder what happened to Ole Borneman, he used to post a lot of interesting stuff. A really knowledgeable dude.

Come back Ole Borneman!

April 7, 2008 at 03:13 AM · He died in 1880...

April 7, 2008 at 11:43 AM · lol

November 16, 2015 at 03:27 PM · "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." M.T.

Thanks for the kind words. Thanks for the amusing quips. The world needs to laugh again.

November 16, 2015 at 08:49 PM · Is this the video sort of in and out with the Beethoven concerto and weaving his life story around it? If so, I have it; if not, this may be new to me.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Colburn School: Chamber Music Intensive
Colburn School: Chamber Music Intensive

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe