Vadim Repin plays Shostakovich VC No 1

April 4, 2005 at 11:07 PM · Is there anyone in Boston going to see this concert ?

Vadim Repin, violin

Boston Symphony Orchestra / Kurt Masur

Symphony Hall, Boston, April 15, 2004

Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1

Bruckner: Symphony No. 4, "Romantic"

Vadim Repin, violin

Boston Symphony Orchestra / Kurt Masur

Symphony Hall, Boston, April 15, 2004

Replies (12)

April 4, 2005 at 11:31 PM · na im doin my taxes ;)

April 5, 2005 at 12:27 AM · I think I may be going to that concert...I will be in the area at that time....

April 5, 2005 at 03:34 AM · I'm going to try...i'm not expecting much, i'm waiting for vengerov's next year with NY Phil with Rostropovich conducting:).

April 6, 2005 at 09:31 AM · Josh, do not miss this opportunity. I saw Vadim Repin play the Shostakovich No 1 last year with the Verbier Festival Orchestra, it was electrical.

April 6, 2005 at 05:25 PM · there are very few violinists my former teacher seems to like, Repin is one of them.

A few months ago I heard a radio broadcast of the Tchaikovsky concerto. I had to stop everything to listen fully until the end & find out who was playing. It was Repin.

If Repin ever comes around my neck of the woods… I’m going to see him.

I also love Boston

I also love the BSO

I also love Symphony Hall

go to the concert!

April 7, 2005 at 09:07 AM · Repin plays the original version, the one before Shostakovich removed the first 20 or so bars for the soloist in the Burlesque after the cadenza (for Oistrakh to "mop his brow").

If I could go I would, this always takes my breath away when I hear him do this.

BW

Jx

April 7, 2005 at 12:33 PM · To my mind, Repin is the best current exponent of the Shostakovich first concerto. I have three different recordings of him playing it (one the commercial one with Nagano) and they are all terric. I'll be in Boston next week but not, alas, at the end of the week. Go if you can !

April 8, 2005 at 08:45 PM · Someone is after telling me this concert will be broadcast live on WGBH 89,7 at 1 p.m.

Please let me know if you cannot go to the concert if you can get this broadcast. Thank you.

May 11, 2005 at 06:14 PM · Is there anyone who went to see Vadim Repin in Philadelphia play the same concerto ? What was it like ?

May 11, 2005 at 10:33 PM · Hi Benny,

My teacher and I saw him play the concert you're talking about last Saturday, and it was AMAZING. He really drew the audience in and he had a really marvelous variety of vibrato (I noticed that because I'm trying to improve mine!) He got a huge standing ovation. I don't know the concerto that well, but I loved the second and fourth movements when I heard him play them, and the Cadenza in I think the third movement was pretty indescribable.

--Alice

May 11, 2005 at 11:38 PM · Yep, saw it here in Philly too. It was awwwweeeesoommmee. I was familiar with the piece but I only have one person playing it so it was great to hear his interpretation.

May 12, 2005 at 02:10 PM · Thank you all for your messages. Delighted to see you enjoyed Vadim Repin's play. The Shostakovich VC No 1 is very high on my list of favourite concertos. Please let me know if you get a chance to record the possible broadcasts in USA, Also you can contact his fan website and write in his guestbook ! Thanks. Benny.

http://www2.osk.3web.ne.jp/~wistaria/repin.htm

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe