Would different rosin on bow hair cause any damage

December 25, 2004 at 07:50 AM · Rosin advice: Hi there, Merry X'mas.

If I don't clean the bow hair before applying another brand (rosin)? Would that cause any damage, please advice.....thk

Replies (8)

December 25, 2004 at 08:09 AM · you won't cause any damage to either the bow hair, or to the strings. you may not get the desired effect you want with mixed rosins on the hair though. so if you're going from say a dark rosin to a light one, you would get better results by cleaning the hair first.

it's really easy to clean bowhair. simply put a little denatured alcohol on a clean cotton cloth and rub the hair between thumb and fingers, gently. the alcohol will dissolve the rosin quickly. the cloth wipes off the residue. just becareful you don't touch the cloth to the stick or fittings, you can damage the finish if you do.

December 25, 2004 at 10:56 PM · Unless you are using something like leipenzeller or whatever its called, something like that. Its made of different stuff, make sure thye're both standard rosin

even if they dont match it wont cause damage, it just wont work too well.

December 26, 2004 at 04:10 AM · I've been using Hidersine Dark for eons. Today I got to open my new cake of Liebenzeller Gold III!

Knowing I was going to switch, I 'used up' the existing Hidersine on my bow...and then overdid it a little with the Liebenzeller.

Now, it could very well be my imagination (and wishful thinking)...but I thought I sounded much less gritty which tells me that I was primarily hearing the Liebenzeller. And hopefully with continued rosining I'll eventually 'replace' the old rosin with the new.

December 27, 2004 at 06:33 PM · Where would I be able to get denatured alchol?

December 28, 2004 at 01:06 AM · Any good pharmacy will have it. Many hardware stores or craft/hobby stores carry it. Home Depot might if you're in the Northeast.

December 28, 2004 at 02:50 AM · Hey Sweet, most folks here ain't chemists or pharmacists. Denatured alcohol is just plain old rubbing alcohol. The denatured part is the additive that makes it taste bad.

December 28, 2004 at 02:54 AM · I have always wanted to try Tartini Silkier Solo rosin. One day at a concert, I saw that my friend had this rosin and I was really excited so I asked if I could use some. I forgot to clean the rosin off my bow hairs (I use Hidersine) and put some Tartini on. I immediately noticed a difference between Tartini and Hidersine, and I really doubt, like everybody else has been saying, that applying different rosins to your hairs damages them. I love Tartini rosin!

December 28, 2004 at 08:19 AM · A slight variation to the original question. Does applying rosin with metallic particles to your bow, cause damage to bowhairs? Specifically, I use Motrya Gold and notice lately a swishing sound, especially on the higher regions of the e string when playing long slow bows. My bow hair is not that old, and this also happens on a new bow I'm trying.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe