Kreutzer for cello?

December 19, 2004 at 07:42 AM · I understand the value of Kreutzer etudes for violin and viola. I also know that there is a book of 22 Kreutzer etudes for cello. What I don't know is: are these used as much to teach basic cello technique, or are there one or more other methods which are better for this instrument?

Replies (8)

December 19, 2004 at 11:41 PM · Greetings,

Leonard Rose adpated the sevcik 5000 bowing variaitons for cello and gacve it to hi sstudents including Daivid Soyer formerly of the Guarner quartet. He also wo9rjked with Galamian and made his students do the scale system.

But there are standard exercises for the cello written by cellists with names like Gruzmacher and Feuillard, popper etc.

Cheers,

Buri

December 20, 2004 at 03:32 AM · uuh what about bach?

December 21, 2004 at 02:28 AM · Thanks, Buri--I'll check those out. In addition a cellist friend has recommended something by Warner (or Verner?) ...Scott, thanks, but I'm afraid the Bach will be down the road a bit as I'm just getting started on the instrument.

December 21, 2004 at 02:35 AM · Cellists learn Popper and Piotti caprices.

December 28, 2004 at 06:24 PM · Don't automatically steer yourself away from Bach. The Suzuki System includes Bach in the very first book. I wouldn't think you would be pursuing the six cello suites just yet, but there are other pieces that are very playable for the beginner. If you are already familiar with the Kreutzer pieces for violin, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with his cello pieces.

~PJS~

December 28, 2004 at 09:48 PM · Paul,

thanks for the encouraging words. Actually, I do know the prelude to the first cello suite on viola, and have tried transferring it directly (with cello fingerings, of course)...I will try some of the simpler dances, hopefully soon. Right now I'm working with the Joseph Werner book and I think it's going to get me through my early phase...it's a slow process.

January 24, 2005 at 01:42 AM · All I can say is that the Kreutzer for cello is a lot harder than the violin one.

Cellists learn Popper and Piotti caprices.

Those are really hard!

January 24, 2005 at 03:15 AM · Greetings,

does one learn Piotti on a potty?

Cheers,

Buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe