Exercises for LH pizzicato; artifical harmonics

December 13, 2004 at 12:24 AM · I am hoping somebody can help me out here... I am trying to look for some exercises that deal exclusively with left hand pizzicato and artificial harmonics. Does anybody know of some good books that they can recommend (Sevcik, etc.)?

Replies (8)

December 13, 2004 at 02:12 AM · Greetings,

the basic left hand pizz is sevcik and Dounis Artists tehcnique. The sevcik, plus a version of a Dont etude and excerpts from Paginini and Ernst can be found in Ricci@s book on Left Hand technique which you can get from Shar.

IN the bakc of the Rostal edition of the Flesch scales there are a lot of useful exercises.

Then take a look at the Galamian edition of the Kreutzer etudes where he recommends left hand piz zpracticwe in the trill etudes. Then you can train yourself using works by Sarasate suc as Zapateado.

Harmonics is actually a rather bigger field and there are extant whole tomes on the science of virtuouso harmonic playing that my depraved Swedish offspring can probably list. You probably don`t really need much more basic practice on these than the Flesch scales and passages from pieces. A simple one is the third movement of the Bartok Roumanian dances. then there is Zapateado again. Dounis Artist technique also has a lot of harmonics scales.

Thats about it really...

Cheers,

Buri

December 13, 2004 at 02:48 AM · There are gazillions of ways to play harmonics, just as Buri implies, so I to would recommend Flesch to start with. For many reasons.

Youmust have a solid intonation, even bow and a good shifting to play good harmonics, and a good scalesystem like Flesch helps you with that.

December 13, 2004 at 01:58 PM · Sound harmonic technique is essential - in my opinion.

The best book by a long way is Henryk Heller's "Theory of Harmonics" but long out of print and only in a handful of private collections? There is however a revised reprint of the first part of this Massive work published by Simrock... Look for Adam Heller's "System of Harmonics" book one. Adam was Henryk's son. He died without ever finishing the revised edition.

Another good publication (although only really for the really interested and serious minded) is Enzo Porta's "Il Violinio".

I would not go for the Flesch "scales" as he only reals with a tiny angle of this subject and I think it is treated coldly and without any interest.

HAMRONICS are NOT a sub-heading in violin technique... in today's light they are a FUNDAMENTAL REQUIREMENT.

Good Luck.

December 13, 2004 at 02:38 PM · Since Danielle asked if Sevcik contains some of it I presume that she is not so experienced so she could bare to read books devoted entirely to harmonics, and as you say there are numrous.

Neither of these books (Hellers, Mosers, Davids) won't do any good if you can't play scales.

That is why I recommended Flesch. Not primarily for his short exercises in harmonics, but rather because he develops the technique you need before a tempting advanced harmonics, and then gives you a taste for them, and the necisseary skills to manage most of the reportoire.

You are correct that Flesch gives you no help what so ever in the principles of harmonics, he just helps you with the mechanics.

The principles can be learned in 15 minutes, so I can only recommend those books to a teacher. Students need their money to other things :)

December 13, 2004 at 04:48 PM · wieniawski's variations on the austrian national anthem (part of l'ecole moderne)

December 13, 2004 at 07:19 PM · There's a website www.violinmasterclass.com that explains these things. Maybe it would help.

December 14, 2004 at 01:52 AM · First of all, thanks to everybody who took the time to respond to my inquiry.

Secondly, in regards to the previous statement made that my technical and musical proficiency could not be very high on the basis of my suggestion that there may be LH pizzicato exercise written by Sevcik, kindly reference the pasted link which may help explain where my inference came from. As you will see, this is an interview from Strings Magazine in which Hilary Hahn makes reference to a Sevcik LH pizzicato exercise.

http://www.stringsmagazine.com/issues/strings80/CoverStory.shtml

As such, I would highly suggest that people check their facts before drawing to hasty conclusions about another's playing level and competence.

December 14, 2004 at 02:22 AM · Danielle!

Please don't misunderstand me!

I was talking about your experience of reading books in this subject, and I based that on the simple fact that B├╝lov, Heimann and Ricci all mentions Secvcik's exercises and quotes from them :)

And as I said too, I don't even think that is necessary for a (playing) violinist violinist to read Theory books in harmonics, so it is not to degrade your playing by saying that you probably havn't read them!

English is not may main language - Sorry for my bad choice of words!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe