Projection balance?

December 11, 2004 at 06:08 AM · I've been trying to find a new violin for a while now, and I've finally found one that I actually like. However, the D string seems to not project as much as the other strings, open and especially in 2nd and 3rd position for some reason. Do you think this is just a false string or does it entail a sound post adjustment? Thanks!

Replies (3)

December 11, 2004 at 07:39 AM · It would depend a lot of what you mean by new violin. Do you mean "new" as in showroom new, or do you mean new as in replacement?

If you mean showroom new, it might just be a matter of playing in. I have just acquired a new (ie brand new) fiddle that had that problem but it completely went away after a week's playing.

If it is old, that is more tricky. I would certainly check the string first. In my experience, recalcitrant D strings respond very well to sound post adjustments as well as tailpiece adjustment (either trying a different tailpiece or altering the after length of the string.

I was recently in possession of a violin that a very anaemic D string in the exact positions you have noted(including a couple of wolf notes). It was subsequently properly setup (sound post did not change but it was moved) and I had a new tailpiece fitted. The D string was transformed, even though I did not actually change the string itself.

If that fails, you might try experimenting with a higher tension D string. Or you could try, for example, Infeld Red on the A and G and Infeld Blue on the D.

December 11, 2004 at 01:10 PM · Hi,

I would suggest the following course of action... if the strings are old, then put some new ones on. That will solve that. Should the D string problem persist, then, a soundpost adjustment could do the trick. Failing that, then you may have to experiment using different strings for the D. Some older violins are very finicky. And personally, I would beware of using strings that are too tense. Most violins don't respond all that well (and just as a side note, there is no difference in tension between a mittel infeld red or blue as far as I know from the company). Good luck and Cheers!

December 11, 2004 at 09:34 PM · I'm looking for a replacement violin for myself, and the one currently I am testing out is actually a modern one, made in 2002. I will try replacing the strings because the A is false as well, maybe this is the cause of the imbalance. Thank you for your imput!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe