spiccato

December 9, 2004 at 06:13 AM · hello. i have some problems with my spiccato. my right arm is not relaxed at all. i want to improve my spiccato but i have no ideas how. everytime i practise my arm hurts a lot and my right shoulder too. what are the best excersises for it. i have all sevcik excersises but i dont know which book is the best for it.

thanks

Replies (4)

December 9, 2004 at 06:30 AM · Greetings,

spicatto is well explained in Fischers book Basics.

There are five or so basic kinds of spicatto dpending of the speed and kind of attack you want (and all the variaitons inbetween). For eaxample, the opening of Beethoven five is a big dramatic spicatto that will use the whole arm. A less dramtic spcatto may have its origin in the lower forarm.

But, keep iin mind that a spciatto is a controlled stroke that involves the fingers. The basis is found in a small finger martele (no wrist or forearm)practice in the lower half of the bow. if you don`t have this finger action first you are doing things backwards.

It also helps to pay attention to the upward boiunce of the stroke rather than the downward drop.

There are a lot of detailed discussion of spicatto in the archives.

Cheers,

Buri

December 9, 2004 at 02:02 PM · Would Violinmasterclass.com be a nice companion resource to the Fischer Basics? I have a different stroke to work on for my little piece for the concert but I found the combination of the two to be a very powerful ... er ... combination. One shows, the other explains.

December 9, 2004 at 02:59 PM · The colle exercises on Masterclass rock! Everything you need for spiccato is there.

December 10, 2004 at 03:40 AM · Hi,

Everybody's advice here is excellent. However, I would like to add something. If you are having problems in spite of practicing, including pain, then there is probably an error in movement. In my experience problems can be traced to three sources: unbalanced bow hold, holding the bow too tight, or an imbalance of weight in your right arm (i.e. usually due to an elbow that is too low and a wrist too high in position).

There are a number of great exercices, but basically a good etude like Kreutzer No. 2 can be adapted a million ways to cover all of that. For me, a spiccato is still a horizontal bow stroke with a pendular vertical motion, not a vertical stroke. Thinking of it that way usually helps considerably with the sound and evenness IMHO.

Hope that this helps! Cheers!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe