Yehudi Menuhin shoulder rest

December 6, 2004 at 06:54 AM · Hello. When I recently started playing again after a 15-20 year hiatus, I discovered that my Yehudi Menuhin shoulder rest was in need of repair. I noticed a link in the discussion of jaw pain to a site that sold "Menuhin" shoulder rests, but upon ordering the rest I found that it is NOT the original Menuhin shoulder rest, but is a Chinese-made knockoff which is not adjustable and is higher than the original. This newer version says "Anton Breton" and "made in China" on it.

The newer version does not work for me like the orginal Yehudi Menuhin rest does. Does anyone out there know where I can get a real Yehudi Menuhin shoulder rest? Are they (I'm afraid) not made anymore? If they are not made anymore, could someone recommend a shoulder rest which is closer to the original Menuhin rest in form and function than the Chinese version? Thanks for your help.

Replies (6)

December 7, 2004 at 01:22 AM · This one looks close.

http://www.sharmusic.com/moreinfogroupviolin.asp?t1=1336GM

December 7, 2004 at 02:59 AM · Ted,I use Menuhin shoulder rest, and this year I was going to order another one, just because my daughter lost her 'Wolf'. Unfortunately, there is no more 'Menuhin' in Sharmusic. com In the catalogue I found 'The Maestro', a new brand of Menuhin style. It is cheep and doesn't attract my attention. Anyway, maybe try to contact this store (Sam Li gave you the site) and ask... The e-mail is sharserv@sharmusic.com

Phone #1-800-248-7427

December 7, 2004 at 03:38 AM · Greetings,

Menuhin shoulder rest in peace?

Cheers,

Buri

December 7, 2004 at 04:54 PM · All shoulders without a rest might be soon in peace.LOL

October 17, 2011 at 02:47 PM ·

Hi Ted,

Yes there are many fake Yehudi Menuhin shoulder rest in the market today. The original one is so nice to use, it holds the violin so strong and it's made of steel copper i guess! Many bad shoulder rest in the market today that is made of weak rubber band, after a few months of use it's working bad, then you will set aside a budget for new shoulder rest.Our modern makers today are producing a lot of rubbish stuff!

October 17, 2011 at 04:10 PM ·

Ideal Musical Merchandise in NYC has a few left.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe