Christmas is coming soon!

December 4, 2004 at 08:55 PM · Heya guys!

It's Christmas soon! What do you think are the best gifts for violinists as well as musicians for any occasion? Just interested to see what's out there in the shops... and maybe hint at someone to get me some...:P

One-Sim :)

Replies (50)

December 4, 2004 at 11:47 PM · ...I could use a new metronome.....

December 5, 2004 at 12:39 AM · My best friend ( professional artist and oboe player)painted for me a picture full of humor: there are two musicians playing together. One of them is a very tall and skinny violinist with huge fingers; second-very short, up to violinist's waist, and fat bass player, who raised his head up to see own fingers which are in 1st position. This picture rests on the baby grand and always protects me against being in a bad mood.

Another present I liked is a tiny gold plated bookmark in a shape of a violin.

December 5, 2004 at 01:24 AM · That is what I asked for, Kelsey! I have a lot of electronic ones, now I want an old-fashioned one that swings back and forth.

Also, gift certificates for getting CDs are nice.

December 5, 2004 at 01:44 AM · Mozart chocolates! They're hazelnut/marzipan/chocolate balls, wrapped with an image of Mozart. Common in Europe (especially Austria), but I can get them at the Cost Plus World Market. They come in violin-shaped boxes, too.

December 5, 2004 at 01:51 AM · Oooh! Those chocolates sound divine! I'm gonna have to get me some of those! =)

In the same vein as what Laurie said, I really like either a gift certificate or pre-paid card for iTunes (I get lost exploring all the music they have -- and each for only 99 cents!)

December 5, 2004 at 01:52 AM · My Dad got me some of those Mozart chocolates from prague, theyre delicious! And the box is great. MMMmmm

December 5, 2004 at 02:01 AM · Gift certificates for CDs, yes! New strings, and a Tartini Rosin. :)

December 5, 2004 at 02:08 AM · I bought Mozart Chocolates in Vienna...I thought they were terrible! blaah.

December 5, 2004 at 02:37 AM · I like either gift certificates for CDs, like some others said, or CDs themselves- but only if from a musician who knows what the good ones are! Sheet music, or gift certificates for sheet music, is nice too. And metronomes. And mutes and personalized hankies to put on the chin rest when your neck is killing you.

December 5, 2004 at 03:44 AM · I second the Mozart Chocolates!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are absolutely delicous; my Spanish friend/neighbour of many years just gave them to me as a gift as she is moving back to Spain.

Oddly enough I just happened to be listening to that delicate and scrumdiddilyumptious Mozart Sonata in G as I found this thread.

December 5, 2004 at 04:07 AM · Rosin, mutes and tuning forks in stockings! And one of my students turned up one Xmas with a mini violin keyring - you drew the dinky bow across the strings and it played a little tune! Trashy but kinda irresistible:)

December 5, 2004 at 08:33 AM · A Mozart Chocolate's real name is a Mozart Kugel, and they're originally from Salzberg. My brother just brought me back a packet from Vienna, and believe me, they're excellent. Chocolate outer shell, with marzipan in the centre, and some hazelnut stuff as well I think.

Carl.

December 5, 2004 at 10:31 AM · I could use a new metronome as well. One that actually makes a sound would be especially great and perhaps more useful than my current one.

December 5, 2004 at 10:40 AM · Greetings,

I have heard an unsubstantiated rumor that the prune factory Mattias seized from my control is planning on producing prunes that will induce metronomic pulses at specific speeds depending on how many you eat.

This could be the wave of the future.

Cheers,

Buri

December 5, 2004 at 02:04 PM · lol buri

on my wishlist for christmas is:

Scores (Beethoven Symphonies or Haydn String Quartets preferably, but any other works would be appreciated)

Stephane Grapelli DVD (My favourite jazz artist)

CD's of classical works, or vouchers for music stores.

December 5, 2004 at 02:12 PM · I have asked for the DVD box set of the Bernstein "Young Persons" concerts. They are available at Amazon and from the official Bernstein Website. The biography of J.S. Bach by Christoph Wolff was my best present last year. Ohh...and tickets to concert are always nice. I was treated to a performance of Rigoletto last year.

December 5, 2004 at 03:33 PM · I saw in the catalogue the other day this tiny violin doorbell which can be placed anywhere in the house and would play a tune when someone would ring the other part of it by the door! And if you used the tiny bow and drew it across a string it would play a tune.

It's so sweet with a chinrest n all... :)

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

December 5, 2004 at 04:54 PM · An excellent gift for any musician is the book:

Ammer, Christine. The A to Z of Foreign Musical Terms:

From Adagio to Zierlich, a Dictionary for Performers and Students, published E.C. S, Boston, 1989. 4th edition ISBN: 0911318151

Most professional musicians keep this small paperback handy so those unusual terms in music can be translated. It has English translations of 3,000 terms compiled from more than 30,000 scores. Any good dealer in classical music should have it in stock. Price is in the $9.00 range.

Clint

December 5, 2004 at 05:49 PM · Thomas,

You have good taste.

Carl.

December 5, 2004 at 07:18 PM · Ben, I WANT Grapelli DVD too!!! Or gift sertificate to where I can get it.

December 6, 2004 at 05:35 AM · Strings always welcome! I LOVE Mozart chocolates. Got a piano shaped box full after the competition and a violin shaped box full after my recital. They have pistachio, hazelnut and marzipan, some kind of rum flavoring and chocolate on the outside.

December 6, 2004 at 09:16 PM · Rum? Is that what makes it taste the way it does?

December 7, 2004 at 03:49 AM · Know what's really cute and pretty for xmas? Instrument ornaments or keychains and other stuff shaped like instruments and other musical stuff. I have ornaments of trumpet, violin, one with 2 little drums, and..well i dont remember what else. lol In juilliard bookstore they sell pencils shaped like clefs and notes and also keychains and other cute stuff. I have a whole collection of that stuff in my room.

December 7, 2004 at 04:02 AM · Concert tickets - very good

Season Concert Tickets - Even better!

Season Concert Tickets with seat booked next to attractive single and available member of opposite sex who also holds season tickets - Priceless!!

December 7, 2004 at 04:12 AM · Forget the chocs, thats what I really want for christmas!

John

December 7, 2004 at 06:16 AM · Hehe that's a good one...And, of course, Mozart chocolates in your coat pocket to secretly share at intermission with this attractive concertgoer...

For my school friends, I was thinking of giving either a ticket to a concert I'm soloing on in Feb, or a small package of chocolates, depending on whether they're in my orchestra or not.

December 7, 2004 at 06:23 AM · apart from a new instrument...

a new instrument case? An Accord Soloist 1000 or one of those Bam Hightech things will do. E-mail me for my address...

December 7, 2004 at 09:50 AM · A sad story about Mozart chocolates.

A friend of mine bought me some from Vienna. I had a three year old beginner student coming in for a first lesson. I thought if I quickly finished the chocolates, I could give him the box so he could practice holding the cardboard violin (Suzuki method). I downed the last four chocolates in 10 minutes. Two minutes later, in walks the student and his parent for the first lesson. I proudly presented the box to the three year old and the parent is absolutely thrilled at the cardboard box - asking where I got it and such. Meanwhile, the three year old opens the box, discovers that there is nothing inside, and then starts crying "No caaaaaannnnnnnnndddyy no caaannnnnnnndddyy"

I felt bad, but geez, kids know too much sometimes.

December 7, 2004 at 03:08 PM · Eggnog.

December 7, 2004 at 05:00 PM · Chocolade means too much hyper and calories. What about just rum?

December 7, 2004 at 10:31 PM · Thanks Carl,

I just hope I get the DVD's. Have you read the Christoph Wolff book?

December 8, 2004 at 01:03 AM · Hmm I really want some of those chocs again....I dont think theyre available in ye olde Englande though.... Dang

December 8, 2004 at 04:44 AM · What, no Mozarts in England? Aw!

December 8, 2004 at 07:18 AM · Thomas,

It's on my shelf, and I will get round to reading it when I've finished the hundred or so other books I'm in the middle of...

Carl.

December 8, 2004 at 09:51 AM · Make a violin out of Christmas tree wood and leave the pines in the wood.

December 8, 2004 at 10:33 AM · Well, for presents for a violinist... I tend to do more shopping this time of year for myself so that my parents don't have to. I got some Warchal Karneol strings, a copy of Leopold Mozart's treatise on violin playing, and a copy of Strings Backstage's "Violin Virtuosos". There's a possibility that my parents might get me a new case, but who knows? For my teacher I'm going to get a set of Warchal Ametysts to try...and an English-Hungarian dictionary.

December 8, 2004 at 12:35 PM · I want a bow rehair for christmas :-)

December 9, 2004 at 06:57 PM · How about a massage session? :)

December 9, 2004 at 11:41 PM · Greetings,

but then you need a `get out` Claus,

Cheers,

buri

December 10, 2004 at 12:13 AM · cash.

December 10, 2004 at 12:46 AM · Ok, that sounds good as Vieuxtemps 5 appears to have knackered my tendons. GODDAMIT

December 14, 2004 at 01:20 AM · The chocolates sound good! So does cash! :) But if you want a violin related gift to send someone take a look at these graphics:

http://www.cafepress.com/folkfiddle It's just fun stuff that I've put together (should have been practicing! :) but I had to do the "Violin.. Fiddle... difference is ATTITUDE" one for several friends.. and just kept going.

Chocolates still sound good though! :)

Katie

December 14, 2004 at 02:02 AM · does anyone know where i can find these chocolates? they sound realllly good... lol

December 14, 2004 at 02:20 AM · I can get them at Cost Plus World Market.

Or check out this:

http://www.gdh-trading.com/acatalog/Reber_Chocolate_Selection.html

You can also google "Mozart kugel," which is what I did, but the above is the first site I found that has somewhat reasonable prices, considering they're imported from Europe.

December 14, 2004 at 07:07 AM · After listening to some of the pieces, I've decided to try my hand at "movie music." I'm planning to buy The Red Violin Caprices and Three Pieces from Schindler's List. But I was curious to know if anyone knew which caprices are in the Corigliano (titles from the soundtrack would be helpful).

December 17, 2004 at 05:44 PM · Hi, All Violinists. If you are looking for last minute violinist or cellist gifts, you might try my storefront at

www.cafepress.com/arcomusic

for some really fun things. Shipping quick is still an option as of 12/16/04. Thanks!

December 28, 2004 at 05:42 AM · A post-Xmas note: I got a box of Virtuoso Chocolates. There are two kinds: espresso chocolates and cafe latte chocolates. Each piece of chocolate is shaped like a violin, complete with fingerboard, strings, bridge, tailpiece, and f-holes. They are so-o-o-o-o good! I also got a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble, and everyone knows how good that is. I gave a good gift to one of my students: a bright red, canvas tote bag, with *zippered top,* emblazoned with some bright yellow music notes, and personalized with the recipient's name, also in bright yellow. Now he has no excuse for forgetting to bring some or all of his sheet music to his lesson.

I hope everyone had a good Xmas, and I wish you all the best in 2005.

December 28, 2004 at 07:46 AM · Isn't that funny how far we will go to try to motivate that one student? I got all my students chocolates, except one. I have practically stood on my head to motivate her that if she could just get interested in things she would play great and her life would be so much better. So I got her a copy of the "Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster. I went on and on about how much I loved it as a kid and she opened it and read the first line: "There was once a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with himself-not just sometimes, but always..."

and she grinned. (Sigh!) :0)

Lisa

December 29, 2004 at 08:47 PM · Good for you, Lisa! That was a very, very thoughtful gift... and who knows... it may have made QUITE a difference to that student! (Of course... I have to admit that I'm a former school library media teacher. :)

Katie.... who has retired to just "fiddling around." :) Hey... maybe your student would be motivated to work on technique through fiddle tunes!?! You never know what will do it! :)

December 30, 2004 at 01:25 AM · I got a great stocking-filler, completely by accident: a mini egg timer my mum got in a Christmas cracker and couldn't find a use for. It's perfect for teaching in school - 'Okay kids, you have three minutes to get sponges on violins and rosin on bows!'

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe