Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies

December 2, 2004 at 08:21 AM · My mom is a virtuoso pianist and I took a look at the Franz Liszt Klavierwerke Ungarische Rhapsodien I. It is !*INSANE*! Its like when Fritz Kreisler heard Jascha Heifetz "We should now all break our violins upon our knees." Hearing a midi of the 2nd Rhapsodie i could barely follow it sight reading......

Replies (8)

December 2, 2004 at 04:49 PM · I totally agree. How can anyone write or 'hear' such difficult pieces when most of us can't even look at the music feeling dazed?

Utterly Amazing...

December 2, 2004 at 05:36 PM · i've arranged the second for violin, but obviously transposed it to a more agreeable key than f# major

December 2, 2004 at 06:13 PM · Andrew,

There is a great DVD of Georges Cziffra playing Liszt that is so jaw-droppingly incredible that it will make what Heifetz can do look easy...

Carl.

December 2, 2004 at 08:30 PM · My 5 year old son is taking piano lessons. He is being taught in such a way that sharps and flats will hold no special difficulty for him; in fact, he is being taught to play in minor keys first.

December 2, 2004 at 10:03 PM · carl, what is this dvd?

December 2, 2004 at 10:25 PM · http://www.emiclassics.com/classic_archive/releases/cziffra.html

Carl.

December 2, 2004 at 11:17 PM · Hello, I'm new to posting here but have been enjoying following many of the discussions for weeks now. I am a pianist/pipe organist (mediocre) and my 10 year old daughter is a violin student showing wonderful promise. I have a comment and a question: first, I remember learning early on that much of Liszt's music was so difficult that only he could play it! Secondly, I am teaching my daughter to play the piano and would love to know the technique being used with the 5 year old that begins playing in minor keys. It's very interesting watching her musical development in piano and violin (rapid learning periods and plateaus in both).

December 3, 2004 at 05:08 AM · I heard once that Liszt's 6 Grand Etudes (of which La Campanella is one) were the etudes intended to provide technique for the Hungarian Rhapsodies.

I love La Campanella, personally; it's wonderfully fun to play and hear. Playing it without missing notes, on the other hand, involves practicing with eyes closed, and that is not as fun....

Sorry for getting off topic. I'm a little tired, and I just saw "Liszt" and went off on a tangent..

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe