Looking for a Pedal

November 29, 2004 at 03:43 AM · I'm looking for a pedal to spice up my electric violin. The violin is a Yamaha, relatively new. Mostly I play it in a Christian rock group (nothing professional, yet). Just looking for some recommendations, what y'all like and why. Thanks!

Replies (11)

November 29, 2004 at 04:59 AM · An electric ( plug in ) violin can use the same effects that an electric (lead) guitar can use. Any local music store should be able to carry what you need to make your vioilin echo, reverb,and ect. The only thing that you have to know is, if the amplifier system or violin system is mono or stereo. Also depending on the type of pickup,(It's probably a piezo element) will differentiate the need for an equalizer,or preamp. Please be be more specific, and I can give you an exact answer.

November 29, 2004 at 03:08 PM · There are some electric guitar effects, such as chorus, that don't work so well for the violin. IMO the best or most interesting sounds can be obtained w/ delays and octavers/pitch shifters. Distortion also works, but it may not be everybody's cup of tea.

November 29, 2004 at 04:32 PM · I have found the "Gear Page" (link below) helpful for making decisions about "gear." Of course, it is "geared" towards guitar players, but many of the them seem to know what they're talking about. Good luck!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=4

November 29, 2004 at 08:19 PM · Hi Brad,

I've tried various effects but to my ear digital delay is the best for the fiddle. I don't like distortion ala electric guitar and octave/harmonizers sound just too weird to me. The delay I use is made by Boss but the older (and rarer) analog delays are very nice; much warmer, more natural.

Good luck, Marty

November 29, 2004 at 09:10 PM · you might want to try a chorus pedal.

http://www.fretland.com

November 30, 2004 at 03:40 AM · the original cry baby~~!!!...rock on brotha :)

November 30, 2004 at 06:49 AM · There are many ways to model your sound. A Boss DS-1 (distortion) if you're into it. A Korg AX1000 G or AX1500 G will satisfy every need for every kind of sounds/amps. A rack mounted Boss SX-700 sound modeler has 128 presets and 128 custom effects.

November 30, 2004 at 10:04 AM · Why not run your violin through a guitar rack? Like a POD XT or something, sounds like fun.

November 30, 2004 at 07:03 PM · IMHO distortion and chorus don't work well with violin.

Wah-wah is great, but you can get two other stomp boxes for the cost of a good wah. I found phase shifter worked best for me...I used a Small Stone brand.

November 30, 2004 at 09:25 PM · I would use a tube preamp you can get an art for like 50 bux

also digital reverb and eq

personally i would use a art preamp with a lexicon or boss, the lexicons have superior sound quality

you may also consider a complete acoustic processing device by boss or something similar that has all effects integrated into one unit

play through a bass amp or some tube amp preferrably with a graphic eq

November 30, 2004 at 09:08 PM · I can speak for the Digital delay and Wah Wah, which both sound great! An Octaver can make you sound like a Cello or a Bass as well. Another option may be to look into a Midi converter, although I am not sure how well these work as they used to have a quite lengthy delay.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe