Violins from Vittorio & Marcello Villa

November 28, 2004 at 08:29 PM · Has anybody tried their instruments?

Which copy did they make, Strad or Guarneri or any other markers? Please discuss

Replies (4)

November 28, 2004 at 10:05 PM · I have played probably close to thirty Villas in the past five years. They work from both Stradivari and Guarneri patterns. Their workmanship is clean and honest, and, in my opinion, is among the best in Cremona today. The tone of their instruments is pure, rich, and responsive. I know of several professionals who, after becoming frustrated with their frail antiques, have traded them for Villas, all of whom have been extremely satisfied.

Eric

December 13, 2004 at 07:59 PM · I bought a Marcello Villa violin lately ; the sound is loud and clear ; the varnish

nice and the accessories are well adapted to the violin;

the violin is made on a strad model but it is a very personalized Villa style

THANKS VILLA

December 20, 2004 at 05:32 AM · Just played a Marcello this week. It is clear that this violin was artfully conceived as a whole; its every detail speaks to the vision of the instrument's higher individuality.

The G-string was notably exceptional, with a hint of "sizzle" in the upper registers. The middle strings were clear, with a luscious "plumpness" in the middle of the D, rather tenor in effect. The E, very bell-like and pure, had a great reserve for the demand of volume.

I pray that it falls into fitting and caring hands, so that it is allowed to "break in" properly, and begin to realize its latent potential.

Eric

January 3, 2005 at 02:47 AM · Carl, I see you are from Australia. I believe the younger Villa (Vittorio) has a couple of violins with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra; from memory one is called "Marcus". I have recently rec'd a commissioned violin from Marcello and have gone back to him to have another made from twin wood. He is a delight to deal with and keeps in regular contact through the selection of wood, making process and sends a CD showing all the steps in the construction. If you want further comments see my post under another thread "Contemporary violin? luthiers?" about five headings above this discussion. You may contact me directly if you wish to discuss privately.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe