College Auditions

November 26, 2004 at 04:51 AM · I'm a high school senior and I plan on majoring in violin performance in college. I have college auditions coming up very shortly, and I'm wondering if anyone can kinda give me a little inside view on what I can expect.

Thanks

Replies (3)

November 26, 2004 at 07:13 AM · Well, the university I'm going to just revived their string program, and because they're still trying to expand it the auditions didn't determine whether I got in, but were for section/desk placement only.

In communicating with the professor the summer before my first semester, he didn't have anything specific he wanted for the audition. He just said to prepare something I thought would best demonstrate my skill level, which is exactly what I'd hoped. He also said I could play some mazas/partitas if I wanted. I have to admit I was nervous and a little intimidated (which showed in my playing).

My best advise would be not to be nervous, because if it's your individual teacher who will be giving the audition, than this is likely a person you will get to know quite well and will become pretty friendly with -- that's what happened to me anyway. I've come to value every minute of lesson time with this person and respect his experience. Out of curiosity I checked his bio on the university website, and found out he actually taught master classes at the Conservatory at Brasov in Romania... pretty cool!

ANYWAY, I suppose it depends a lot on how big the music program is you'll be in, or if the college is an arts college specifically (mine isn't). It wasn't like there was a panel of judges jotting down my every mistake. As always, it's important to play with the feeling and confidence you would at any other time, because of course, the main thing is to sound good.

November 26, 2004 at 04:43 PM · For my audition, I had to play for the whole string faculty. I went in there smiling and looking as confident as possible. I played the 1st movement of Symfonie Espagnole by Lalo, and about halfway through the first page, my mute had made its way up to the bridge, where it rested and made a horrific noise! I had to stop and move it out of the way! I laughed, and so did the professors, and I got in.

My advice would be to take off your mute, if you have one on, and smile!

November 27, 2004 at 08:44 PM · That happens to me all the time...... wow, what an irrelevant comment.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe