The infamous post-1939 Juilliard requirement

November 25, 2004 at 04:58 AM · I'm auditioning for Juilliard, CIM, USC and MSM this year and the Juilliard requirements are hard to select (let alone learn). Since I am working on the Tchaik for the concerto I need two contrasting post-1939 brilliant pieces. I was thinking the Shostakovich preludes but they don't fit the bill. My teacher mentioned the Prokofiev. I'd rather do the f minor than the D major, but the f minor was begun in 1938 and finished in 1947. Does that count as post-1939 (I really prefer the f minor one)? Also, should I only prepare one mvt. and then something else (Lutoslawski sounds good)? I know I can't manage to learn the whole piece by the end of February. Thanks in advance.

Replies (18)

November 25, 2004 at 01:59 PM · they also changed their cello requierments too....the prokofiev i think would be fine, since it was FINISHED after 1939.

November 25, 2004 at 01:59 PM · they also changed their cello requierments too....the prokofiev i think would be fine, since it was FINISHED after 1939.

November 25, 2004 at 04:32 PM · i agree. it counts when it was finished i would think

November 26, 2004 at 03:49 AM · Do sonatas really qualify as "brilliant concert pieces?"

November 26, 2004 at 06:24 PM · I was thinking the same thing.

November 26, 2004 at 11:44 PM · Does Juilliard really require both concert pieces to be from after 1939? The requirements state that of numbers 1 and 3 (referring to the concerto and the concert pieces), one must be composed since 1939. I'm not sure if by one of them, they just need one piece composed after 1939, or if that entire section has to be contemporary.

November 27, 2004 at 02:39 AM · I know that this is a minor thing for Julliard, but wouldn't you aslo have to pull straight A's to get accepted? Also, what level of repertoire would you have to play? And does it matter what age you had started at?

November 27, 2004 at 02:52 AM · No, I don't think that grades are that important at Juilliard since it is a music conservatory. But, if you are thinking of a double major or double degree program at a conservatory and a university, then grades obviously do count.

November 27, 2004 at 06:23 AM · Greetings,

Sara, nobody cares what age you started at. They are only interetsed in how you play now and trying to evlaute your potential.

There is no rationale behind -any- panel -anywhere- aksing 'what age did you start?' except as part of a friendly conversation possibly. If it was a criteria then how does one separate out 9 from 10, or three from four?

Heck, Mattias started in the womb and we keep begging him to go back there...

Cheers,

Buri

November 27, 2004 at 11:30 PM · I'm also auditioning for Julliard, and I want to know if the Three Preludes by Gershwin are past 1939.

November 28, 2004 at 03:54 AM · gershwin died before 1939

November 29, 2004 at 04:18 PM · Why don't the Shosty preludes work?

That's what Sally Thomas suggested I play for my audition there.

Preston

December 12, 2004 at 02:12 AM · They're not post-1939

December 12, 2004 at 04:15 PM · Hi,

If you are looking for short pieces, there is an array of pieces by American composers that are post-1939 (check out Elliott Carter, William Schman, etc., etc.). If you want something standard, then something like Fratres by Arvo Pärt might be good. I don't think that it has to necessarily be from the standard rep, so why not be adventurous? Cheers!

December 13, 2004 at 03:05 AM · arnold schonberg: phantasy

bela bartok: solo sonata

john cage: chorales

earl kim: 12 caprices

were all written after 1939.

December 13, 2004 at 04:44 AM · Gershwin did die before 1939 yes, but Heifetz did not die before 1939, and he's the one who transcribed it for violin. So I'm not sure whether they'd consider that before or after 1939, because Heifetz transcribed it after 1939 I believe.

December 13, 2004 at 04:58 AM · That's true, but they're still no more "post-1939 compositions" than the Liszt/Milstein Mephisto Waltz, also transcribed after 1939, or the Berlioz/Barton finale to Symphonie Fantastique.

December 14, 2004 at 08:10 PM · Although I'm not sure if this is in the spirit of "Post-1939", I believe Kreisler did compose after 1939. However, most of his more famous concert pieces were composed before.

Does anyone know of any examples?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe