Goldplated practice mute better than regular metal (chrome) one?

November 22, 2004 at 05:24 AM · Hello everyone, my question today is which of the practice mutes on the market is the most effective? So far I have tried both plastic and chromeplated, the latter being FAR more effective. Southwest Strings is selling a goldplated one that I'm assuming is more effective because of the added weight but I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas about this? Or suggestions as to getting a practice mute that is more effective than chromeplated ones? Here is a link to the goldplated one if anyone wants to see. Thank you for your time.

http://www.swstrings.com/Store/Shopping.jsp?Category=Accessories&SubCategory=Mutes&Group=M20

Replies (6)

November 22, 2004 at 09:05 AM · I can't imagine a thin layer of gold plating adding that much to the weight and therefore the muting effect.... but I could be wrong.

November 22, 2004 at 12:39 PM · Truly, I prefer the rubber Ultra Practice Mutes. They don't add a ton of weight to the violin and mute significantly. I don't think that they change the tone of the violin as much as the Goldplated ones either....

November 22, 2004 at 02:21 PM · I have the same mute as Menuhin shows in his book, which I think is the chrome-plated one. I've had a small worry that the weight might be harmful to the bridge, which wasn't really designed for heavy mutes. Any thoughts?

November 22, 2004 at 04:15 PM · That bridge is already operating under a tremendous amount of stress--I can't imagine the weight of one of those mutes would push it beyond its limits.

November 22, 2004 at 05:28 PM · I was thinking more of bending because of the way the weight sits only on the upper half, if the mute isn't sitting completely straight, or accidentally snapping it by not removing the mute properly (straight up). If I use a mute, it's late at night and I don't want to disturb the neighbours, and if it's late at night I'm tired ergo clumsy.

November 22, 2004 at 07:26 PM · Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I'm also starting to think that it doesn't make much difference. Maybe it's more for the "show"- since it really is more visually appealing to the eye!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe