Julia Fischer's website

November 21, 2004 at 12:55 AM · Hi, everyone,

I am mainting the website of violinist Julia Fischer: www.juliafischer.com. In order to keep it up to high standards I'd appreciate your feedback about this website concerning all aspects, like appearance, content, easy of use etc.

Looking forward to your comments!

Replies (100)

November 21, 2004 at 02:50 AM · Michael, is this for your daughter? :) It is a very nicely developed website. If you are looking for constructive comments, I do have a couple.

It takes a bit long to load on my computer, and I have high speed dsl. I think the background is nice but I would rather have a more lightly defined texture than large green pixel squares, I can suggest several if you are looking for green, or can make some alternatives for you if you like. I like the violin edging in the center table, it is very creative and looks great! A small nitpick would be the square rectangle background that Julia's picture is on, you can tell that it is slightly different than the rest of the interface. I would make it a transparent gif if possible. And without looking at it with a sharper eye that's about it. I hope this helps a little. :)

November 21, 2004 at 06:03 AM ·

November 21, 2004 at 07:27 AM · Hello, Inge,

do I see some hidden comments here? ;-)

November 21, 2004 at 07:46 AM · Michael, what a wonderful site! You must be very proud; your daughter is fabulous. I have heard so many good things about her, that I am so happy to have the opportunity to sample her work on the web site you have created. In my opinion, this is an excellent tribute.

Having the opportunity to ask directly, I didn't see in her biography information about specific educational aspects. Did she enter her professional career when she was 14? Did she enter college, conservatory, or, like many artists, gain experience through life's work ;). Thank you, in advance.

Best!

November 21, 2004 at 08:03 AM · Hi Frank-Michael,

It's always great to see well thought out websites for violinists, as the internet is sometimes sorely lacking in this department. I actually agree with Jenni's comments, except that from where I am the page actually loaded pretty fast, and I'm only on 256 kbps DSL.

I think the main thing that "worries" me are the pixelated backgrounds. As Jenni points out, it distracts the user from the foreground.

If you didn't mind, I just did a screen grab of the background and ran it through a blur filter then five stages of tent shaped smoothing. I thought that after that this processing it would make a much more pallatable and unobtrusive background to "suit" the mood.

If you don't have the facility to do it yourself, if you send me the background I can filter it and send it back to you. You can then see if you prefer it to the one you have now.

The other thing I would like to see is more flexibility in the software required to play back the video media - Windows Media Player and Real Player are extremely popular formats but the site does not seem to support them.

November 26, 2004 at 02:48 AM · Thank you all for your feedback. I'll take your input into consideration.

November 26, 2004 at 04:01 AM · Great Site Frank! I had no problems at all downloading anything. To me it was very impressive and easy to access. Maybe I will try to go see Julia when she comes to the Kimmel Center in January. Good Luck.

November 26, 2004 at 04:05 AM · No, I was just excessively in translator/revisor mode. I professionally translate and revise translations from German to English so that was my focus. It's well written - either language. Germans, well, er, we tend, to use a lot, more, commas without them being necessarily, wrong like in my exaggerated example. So I erased. It's a wonderful site. I know less about pixels than commas.

November 26, 2004 at 10:39 PM · Greetings,

great site. Have the same reaction to the background but no problems with download speed. Felt that a few brighter colors would be nice.

The photos are terrific, but there was one taht I felt not effective. The large one in the middle. Hard tosay why it didn"t look right to me. Perhaps becuas ethe violin is held so near to the ground the actuall message of the photo is confusing? Beats me...

Inge, a pixel is found at the bottom of the garden and a comma either lives behind the iron curtain or is a postgraduate sociology student at London University. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Buri

November 26, 2004 at 11:03 PM · Hi,

Great site, but it would be nice to have more audio samples.

November 27, 2004 at 05:22 AM · I looked around and it's a great site (less noticable backgound color maybe). Is there info on the violin she plays? I didn't see anything, but might have missed it. She's plays beautifully by the way. I second what a previous poster said about more audio clips.

November 27, 2004 at 10:26 AM · For more sound samples go to:

http://www.jpc.de

hit the US flag, search for Julia Fischer and there are sound samples from the "Russian Violin concertos" CD.

Unfortunately, for legal reasons we are not allowed to publish sound samples from the tens of recorded hours for TV and radio.

November 27, 2004 at 06:10 PM · Hi Frank-Michael!

I heard Julia play Khachaturian's Concerto yesterday on the radio and I thought it was really good!

The website's really user friendly too and the pictures of Julia have come out really well! I really like the way that you used the violin shape to create a sort of backing to the writing; it makes me wonder how you did it and just seems 'cool'. (sorry I couldn't help using the favourite teenager adjective 'cool':) )

Though I couldn't really make out what the background was supposed to be-is it meant to be all 'squary?'

Maybe you could show what her recording cases look like and the pieces featured on them by doing a discography, which might help people in buying the recordings because they know what they look like.

Fantastic work!

One-Sim :)

November 27, 2004 at 06:27 PM · I am glad you like it. About CD and DVD covers: When going to "What's new" or "Reviews" you'll see the covers even equipped with links for ordering. When going to "Video" you'll see the DVD cover. There are no more records on the market as of today.

FMF

November 28, 2004 at 05:51 PM · It's a nice site...loaded well on my dial-up (one of the drawbacks of country living)...

...I don't mind the large pixel background, but I'd change the colour of the grey insert...maybe to a pale green to match the pixels more...

...right now I find the colours a little cacophonic...

December 15, 2004 at 04:11 AM · I just noticed that Julia's new Russian Concerto album (Khachaturian, Prokofiev # 1 and Glazunov) was released in the US today (14th December). I have just had a listen to the available sound samples at CD Universe and I have to say these look to be very impressive performances indeed. I think anyone interested in these works (who isn't?) should take a good look at this CD.

I would have bought it today if they actually had the CD in stock :(

December 16, 2004 at 03:26 PM · This CD is recent Editor's choice in "Gramophone", actually.

FMF

December 16, 2004 at 07:16 PM · Hi Frank-Michael,

Well that does not surpise me, in the same way I doubt it surprises anyone who has heard this new CD. I am very much looking forward to receiving my copy of it. I have to say that I am a notoriously fussy and critical listener and probably as a result I think very hard and cautiously about what CDs I spend my money on. But in the case of this new CD, it is a no-brainer. It really looks to be a must have for anyone who has any interest at all in these works.

It does seem like I now have a new name to add to my list of favourite contemporary performers. Hopefully if Julia Fischer was not a worldwide household name in classical circles before the release of this CD release, she should be after it.

I also have to praise the outright value of the CD. Three concerti on one disc at a single disc price. Most other artists and record companies would probably have given us two concerti plus a filler piece. Normally CDs this jammed packed are reserved for ocassional reissues, but not new releases.

So bravo on a number of accounts!

PS: I echo the comments made by Laura in a previous post. What instrument is she playing, especially in this recording? Would you happen to know? I do agree such information would make for a nice little "corner" to visit on her website.

December 17, 2004 at 09:29 AM · I'll get back to you soon with details of the instrument used for the recording.

FMF

December 21, 2004 at 10:03 AM · Ok, Julia Fischer has recorded the "Russian Violin Concertos" with the 1716 "Booth" Stradivarius (the same instrument Iona Brown used in her active time). You can find this information in the booklet coming with the CD.

December 21, 2004 at 10:41 AM · Thanks Frank Michael. I do have the CD on back order but there appear to be stock problems with it at the moment. Hopefully they might be able to get hold of it soon.

December 22, 2004 at 11:45 PM · this site is very well laid out. :)

i have never heard of julia fischer before but i will definitely return to hear the audio clips. the reviews make me very curious to hear her play.

i wish the navigation button was on every page. some pages have it, some don't.

December 23, 2004 at 05:02 AM · Julia Fischer has performed almost everywhere, in Canada only once in Vancouver, so no wonder you didn't hear about her. Also her first record came out in October 2004 only. Nowadays one CD gives more publicity than 7 years of successful presence on stages from Carnegie Hall over Concertgebouw to Toppan Hall (Tokyo) so it seems.

Which "navigation button" is missing? Please help me find the page.

On the other hand you navigate just by selecting the navigation target, no need for a button.

FMF

December 23, 2004 at 05:25 AM · That comment seems to echo some long held frustration on your part Frank! Julia has won quite a lot of new fans from this thread (which you started), and now you seem a trifle upset at them because they did not know her before! I don't think you should take it out on the fans like that!!

Just be happy that she has new fans! And hundreds of thousands of people will have read this (so far I hope) very positive thread. I don't think that they really want to read a story of frustration reagrding how it has taken so long for recognition to come. Simply because we are all too aware of what it is like and a huge number of people are in precisely the same boat. A large percentage of Julia's potential audience I can guarantee you for one reason or another simply haven't gotten the opportunity to see Julia perform live. And she is only 21!! She has a whole career ahead of her! It is an imperfect world, and for every violinist who has risen to superstar status there are a whole lot more just as deserving of attention who for one reason or another haven't gotten any near to that stage.

It often takes a recording to get a name out into the common market place. If you look at the careers of most of todays artists, everything started to take off when they got *the* record deal and put out a CD that garnered unanimous praise and a lot of attention.

Just be thankful she isn't going to end up like poor Johanna Martzy. One of the very best violin players of the 20th century who simply got an undeservingly poor and rocky ride down the road to fame, and now hardly anyone even knows of her.

Or take Jasper Wood for example. He is 30 years old and I had not heard of him until last year. Now I have the same frustration that you do. He deserves to be just as much appreciated as the Perlmans, Hahns, Changs, Ehneses and Shahams of this world. He is an amazing and very passionate musician .

In any case you are preaching to the converted. We all know how immensely difficult it is be be a violinist - period. Let alone a world class soloist.

December 23, 2004 at 05:21 AM · How right you are. And I am sorry if I sounded frustrated, I am really not. I just tried to share my observations on CD versus performance impact. And to help the contributor from Toronto not to feel bad about not knowing this soloist before :-)

FMF

December 23, 2004 at 05:31 AM · Well the good thing about CDs is that they tend to get into the all the little nooks and crannies that often elude the live performance medium. I'm also a big fan of James Ehnes. But I would never ever had had the opportunity to hear his playing if it were not for his CDs.

And quite prophectically, just as I type this, CD Universe sends me an email telling me they still can't get hold of Julia's new CD!!!

December 23, 2004 at 05:44 AM · Maybe these guys can help to get you the "Russian Violin Concertos?

Rockian Trading

PO Box 609

Greensborough,

Vic, 3088, AUSTRALIA

Facsimile (03) 9444 6879

International + 61 3 9444 6879

Telephone (03) 9432 4149

International + 61 3 9432 4149

FMF

December 23, 2004 at 05:56 AM · Ah. That sounds like it must the Australian Distributer? If my current backorder lapses (January) I will contact them. Many thanks!

December 31, 2004 at 12:12 AM · For all who suggested to bring more recent music samples: The way is clear now to put one or two full movements from Julia Fischer's "Russian Violin Concertos" CD into her "Listening longue". You should be able to access these samples within two weeks or so.

Happy New Year to all of you!

FMF

January 8, 2005 at 08:31 AM · Khachaturian: Violin Concerto in D minor

movement 3: Allegro vivace (9:19)

and

Prokofiev: Violin Concerto in D op. 19

movement 1: Andantino-Andante assai (10:08)

with Yakov Kreizberg and the Russian National Orchestra are up for listing now on www.juliafischer.com.

Enjoy!

Frank-Michael Fischer

January 8, 2005 at 05:05 PM · Thank you very much for teh wonderrful samples, but just as a hypothetical question, is it possible to also listen to part of the Glazunov :)?

January 8, 2005 at 05:24 PM · No problem, just click on "PentaTone CD" and order yourself the disk ;-)

Seriously, it is quite unusual for a record label to release two whole movements of an expensive production for internet publishing. So we should just be happy.

Regards,

FMF

January 18, 2005 at 01:59 AM · Dear FMF,

Well congrats. on the site, and your daughter's playing... she is an absolute master of the violin. I mean it !

In fact, through your site I saw the Vivaldi Concerto DVD with ASMF and bought it when I went to London... and by golly is it ever so good !

I have the Russian Concertos on SaCD and another DVD of hers with a recital including Grieg Sonata n.3

Please would you suggest to your daughter that she record a Viotti ( not the 22! ) or De Beriot or Similar French Concerto ? The point is there are 3,000 Brahms (nothing against) recordings.. but hardly any top soloist records a Viotti or a Rode or any French 1800 Concerto... Yet all the Violin students know and need fine examples of this repertoire. Please consider this... an alternative would be to record Rode caprices or Kreutzer or Mazas selection or Dont.... I'm sure Ms. Fischer will see I have a valid point... If she were to record a cycle of Viotti's 29 Concerti with a top Orchestra I'd get all my students to buy them ! Seriously, there is no CD of a Rode or a Kreutzer concerto... So that's enough of my (and many other Violinist's .... after all we are the people who buy CDs... The average Joe Bloggs buys 1 CD of 4 Seasons during his lifetime )

Lastly, it would be good if Ms. Fischer could write about technique... some tips... that would be a page I could show students. I'm sure she's busy... but a Technique Q & A session would be fascinating. I appreciate her technique because my teachers were from St Petersburg... I know about Russian schools.

Well, that's about everything I can think of... I hope I didn't bore...

Roland Herrera

Wps, Bristol UK

P.S. Could Ms. Fischer come to UK to do a Concert soon ?

January 18, 2005 at 03:19 AM · Greetings,

I think there are a fair number of Viotti currently available but mostly of 22. It semes players are looking round more at things like Spohr because the market for Bruch on one side and Mendessohn on the other is pretty far gone...

I wish Carla would ask Mr Perlman to record the Kreutzer before he snuffs it. Doesn`t he realize that would be the best selling disc of all time?

Cheers,

Buri

January 18, 2005 at 04:23 AM · Mezzena has recorded the complete Viotti concertos on Dynamic.

The Kreutzer with Perlman would sure be a dream recording!

January 18, 2005 at 09:27 AM · Here is Julia Fischer's next London performance (as taken from "Schedule"): April 24, 2005 at Barbican Hall playing Bartók's Violin concerto no. 2 with LSO under Emmanuel Krivine. Her latest London performance took place about one month ago (December 15): Elgar with LPO and Vänskä.

The subject of "what to record next" seems a bit off topic to me. On the other hand part of an artist's profile is also her choice of repertoire. We should not try to influence it from the outside.

About Russian violin school: Julia Fischers first teacher, Helge Thelen (now teaching in Australia) belongs clearly to the German school; afterward she studied for two years with Lydia Dubrovskaya (pure Russian school), finally for 12 years with Ana Chumachenco, an Argentinian artist, born in Padova (Italy) and raised in Buenos Aires whose teachers were Ljerko Spiller, Sandor Vegh and Menuhin. I wouldn't consider this a Russian school.

FMF

January 24, 2005 at 03:59 AM · Yes, it seems I missed her previous concert... but I'll try and make it to the Bartok.

I think Hilary Hahn is planning a Spohr Concerto, which is pretty much along the lines of what I was saying.

Lastly, I didn't mean to say that Ms Fischer is of the St. Petersburg school, only that I am, and as such, I appreciate any Violinist with good schooling. No, of course, Vegh is certainly not Russian school !

This reminds me of when one of my Russian teachers saw Norbert Brainin for the first time... (again not Russian school) but my Russian teacher was full of admiration after the concert exlaiming "Roland, this is how they used to play in Vienna in the 1800s !".. again the point is that different schools can show appreciation and respect for each other when they represent excellence.

At any rate, it's a good site about Ms. Julia Fischer with many personal touches.. thanks again,

Roland Herrera

January 24, 2005 at 04:10 AM · About the Viotti Concerti. I noticed Mezzena's recordings and ordered one. Also Kaplan, Bobesco and a couple others do exist..

But I think I have a case for repertoire of the French 1800s being little recorded. Kreutzer and Rode etudes have been recorded, even on CD, but not by any of top Violinists.

One good recording of De Beriot's no. 9 is by DOWANI, a company that does accompaniment CDs...

Does anyone else know of good recordings of such repertoire ?

(P.S. sorry if I've posted "out of topic"... I'm sure a one off won't harm !)

Ciao,

RH

January 24, 2005 at 04:17 AM · P.S.

About the 4 Seasons DVD with Julia Fischer, I posted a notice about it on my violin notice board... so lots of my students should be ordering it from Amazon !

January 27, 2005 at 08:04 PM · i saw julia perform the brahms violin concerto at mechanics hall in worcester, mass; usa. Her live performance of this concerto was flawless and was the most beautiful playing if the piece i have ever heard. Her lyricism and expression is incredible. Id love to see more information of her discography and her instrumant on the website

mike v, ct

January 27, 2005 at 11:17 PM · I am in total agreement with you. I have heard her play many times, and I can tell you that she is the most superb violinist the world has born witness to. Everything in her playing is flawless. When you're in the audience you feel like you are being transported to heaven.

Congrats Julia!

January 28, 2005 at 09:31 AM · Nice compliments, maybe even better suited for other threads here!

About discography: There are one one DVD and one CD so far, both are covered at the website. When the next CDs (Bach's solo sonatas and partitas) will be released (around March 2005) I will add more information and listening samples to the website.

About her current instrument: I am not sure yet, whether this will be published at all, but I am working on it.

Greetings!

FMF

January 28, 2005 at 09:39 PM · For those living in and around Philadelphia, there is extra opportunity to meet Julia Fischer today at the Avenue of the Arts - 1/28/2005 06:00 PM Tower Ave. Of The Arts (100 South Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA ) "Please join Tower Records in welcoming Julia Fischer to our Avenue of the Arts location. This young German violinist will be performing pieces from her upcoming PentaTone Classics Bach Solo works CDs. WRTI will be on hand to interview Julia prior to her set and there will be a chance to win tickets to her performance at the Kimmel Center for The Philadelphia Orchestra's 148th Concert and Ball on Saturday January 29."

Regards,

FMF

January 28, 2005 at 10:37 PM · As someone who used to edit a lot of photos, I agree with Buri that that photo is not complementary. However, I know why.

I hope I get to hear her sometime. I'm reading lots of superlatives here.

February 2, 2005 at 08:40 PM · There are 2 DVDs of Julia Fischer ( I have them, they're great ) ... one of the 4 Seasons and the other is a recital with Grieg 3., Paganini cantabile, Schubert Duo & a few others.

February 3, 2005 at 05:14 AM · Hi Frank-Michael,

I heard Julia play Sibelius with the NY Phil a while ago. It was absolutely excellent. A few friends of mine that played in the orchestra were very impressed too. I'm curious to know, who was her primary violin teacher or influence?

Nate

February 4, 2005 at 07:49 AM · I, too, was bothered by the pixellated background. It distracted too much. I tried adding blur and adjusting the color balance to decrease the contrast, and I got a soft, dreamy effect to my liking.

February 4, 2005 at 01:58 PM · Teachers of biggest influence: Helge Thelen for basics, Lydia Dubrovskaya for bow handling and Ana Chumachenco for becoming a musician as well as violinist. Julia Fischer studies with Prof. Chumachenco from 1992 on till now.

About the frame background:

clearly it's a matter of taste, most visitors do not complain about the "brick" background. As soon as a majority will find this pattern annoying I'll do something about it.

Regards,

FMF

February 7, 2005 at 12:29 PM · Here are the details of Julia Fischer's instrument:

made by Jean Baptiste (Giovanni Battista) Guadagnini in 1750.

I've published the corresponding information on her website already.

Regards,

FMF

February 11, 2005 at 03:48 PM · And responding to some of your ideas I've put new pictures up in "Photo Gallery". More to come!

Thanks a lot for all your input so far.

FMF

March 15, 2005 at 04:19 PM · She's an impressive new violinist (but then, aren't they all?) I have her Russian CD and am awaiting delivery of the unaccompanied Bach sonatas and suites ... yet another set. And her radio broadcast of the Sibelius concerto (San Francisco) was most impressive.

Ah for some Wieniawski 1st and 2nd concertos, Hubay, Goldmark, Saint-Saens 1st and second concertos, Vieuxtemps 4th, Elgar concerto, Britten concerto, Myaskovksy ... Please not more Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Bruch and Prokofiev!

April 20, 2005 at 03:32 PM · As announced earlier in this discussion, I've put up two more samples from the new Bach solo works CDs in the "Listening Lounge" today: Sarabanda from Partita in D minor and Fuga from Sonata in C major.

Thank you once more for all your contributions and ideas around this website.

FMF

April 20, 2005 at 08:00 PM · Frank-Michaael,

Excuse my ignorance but what and where is the "Listening Lounge"? I'd very much like to hear the pieces described.

Thank you, Marty

April 20, 2005 at 08:42 PM · On the home page select the scroll down arrow on the list and select listening lounge.

May 15, 2005 at 09:54 AM · Hello!

I had a look on the nice webpage and found out that there were new sound samples from her last Bach CD...Is it already out? I tried to order it at Amazon but couldn't find anything...

I heard Julia Fisher during the Lenk Masterclasses 2 years ago and it was wonderful!Hope I can make it to her concert in Strasbourg next week!

May 15, 2005 at 10:39 PM · Hi! Really love the site; good look, etc. And Julia's a wonderful violinist! One really minor comment about site navigability... Your "go to" site tool at the top of each page is perfect -- any chance you could put a little "Back to Top" link at the bottom of your pages? It just makes it that much easier, after reading and scrolling to the bottom of the pages, to not have to scroll all the way back up before finding the next page.

Again, great work! =)

August 30, 2005 at 10:39 AM · As many times requested, there are more listening samples available from Julia Fischer's new CD with Mozart Violin concertos. You'll find them on her website www.juliafischer.com when going to "What's New" or directly to "Listening Lounge".

Have fun!

FMF

August 31, 2005 at 05:43 AM · In order to avoid increasing traffic to the referenced web-site, which would contravene the purity of intent behind asking the question, I will have to offer my opinion without having viewed the site. For what it's worth, I think it very easy to get to and is clearly violin-related. Perhaps a bit busy, but effective. A lot of effort was clearly put into it, and there are certainly some eye-grabbers. The only remotely questionable aspect is the relatively heavy emphasis on sea turtle hatchlings. A minor point that, however.

August 31, 2005 at 08:09 AM · Don't rag on sea turtles. They're an endangered species.

September 2, 2005 at 10:36 AM · GLAMOURGIRL Julia Fischer with *the* record deal and

competitionwinner and GLASSESGRIL Antje Weithaas without a recording

It is an unfair world. Another german violinist “professor” in Berlin on violin Antje Weithaas, born in 1966, has never recorded a cd. In 1987 she was winner of the Kreisler Competition in Graz, and went on to win the Bach Competition in Leipzig in 1988 and the International Violin Competition in Hannover in 1991. Roland Herrera made in the discussion about the Julia Fischer website (initiated by her father) a very good point and also my big frustration on 17 januari 2005 not to record the well known evergreenviolinconcerto’s (Beriot v.c. 1,8,9 is recorded by Takako Nishizaki 2-7, 10 never):

Please would you suggest to your daughter that she record a Viotti ( not the 22! ) or De Beriot or Similar French Concerto ? The point is there are 3,000 Brahms (nothing against) recordings.. but hardly any top soloist records a Viotti or a Rode or any French 1800 Concerto... Yet all the Violin students know and need fine examples of this repertoire. Please consider this... an alternative would be to record Rode caprices or Kreutzer or Mazas selection or Dont.... I'm sure Ms. Fischer will see I have a valid point... If she were to record a cycle of Viotti's 29 Concerti with a top Orchestra I'd get all my students to buy them ! Seriously, there is no CD of a Rode or a Kreutzer concerto... So that's enough of my (and many other Violinist's .... after all we are the people who buy CDs... The average Joe Bloggs buys 1 CD of 4 Seasons during his lifetime )

Daddy Fischer replied on 18 januari 2005: “The subject of "what to record next" seems a bit off topic to me. On the other hand part of an artist's profile is also her choice of repertoire. We should not try to influence it from the outside. “

Also Harry Colier said on 15 march 2005:

Ah for some Wieniawski 1st and 2nd concertos, Hubay, Goldmark, Saint-Saens 1st and second concertos, Vieuxtemps 4th, Elgar concerto, Britten concerto, Myaskovksy ... Please not more Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Bruch and Prokofiev!

Daddy Fischer made a bad point saying things like: “It is her choice what she wants to record. And we don’t have to influence her from outside.”

She is only 21!! Her repertorieknowledge of violinconcerto’s is poor at that age. Of course she knows the evergreenviolinconcerto’s and people like Colier, Herrera and me as violinconcertocellector (see my 108 violinconcerto-cd’s on www.violinist.com/blog/jenohubay )are waiting for rarities.

Although Julia is a good violinist and perhaps will become a great violinist (), other aspects I see. I don’t think she will do competitions like Hannover or Indianapolis or Queen Elisabeth in Brussel, because she only can “lose??” there as an only 21 year ‘old’ violinist. Record-companies give the record deal in this television- and internet-era (both good for the promotion of violinists) to young and good-looking violingirls like in popmusic good looking girlgroups like Destiny child (split up), Three Degrees and boygroups like Take That (also split up) or Boyzone or the Backstreetboys and Westlife. Boys- and girlsbands who made simple music, which sells very good for a broad public, but not of the level of Carlos Santana, Yes, John Mc Laughlin or (electric violinist) Jean-Luc Ponty. They are just products of recordcompanies.

Although I am a big fan of violinist Janine Jansen, who had recorded for Naxos chambermusic of Robert Helps, Harbinson and E. von Dohnanyi, for the big recordcopmany Decca she recorded on 1 cd 38 minutes and some seconds for 21 euro the 4 seasons of Vivaldi (Julia recorded 3!!! violinconcerto’s on 1 cd) for the 1000th time and some short mostly well known evergreen short pieces for violin and orchestra for her first Decca-cd and reached GOLD = 15.000 sold records. On her website www.janinejansen.com she wear a very very thin and sexy dress with some butterflies on it.

She is like Julia a good violinist but also typecasted as fotomodel and good-looking girl.

Antje Weithaas is not a beautiful glamourgirl and she wear glasses and no lenses and no sexy dresses and would be a type who wants to record rarities and not the well selling evergreenviolinconcerto’s, so not interesting enough for the BIG? recordcompanies.

For a graet violinist like Arthur Grumiaux as an old man with a fat belly and a double chin I think there would be less room in this television and internetera. I don’t think he would have a website now, like other older great violinist who are still living.

The best comparising of a well selling boy band and commercial product is André Rieu (also like Janine Jansen form the Netherlands, my country) and although in his fifties, still slender. Easy listening violinmusic, even the evergreenviolinconcerto’s are too difficult for him as a former professional second violinist of a regional professional orchestra. (but I have seen him 3 times, sorry, I also wanna have fun) and he plays mainly polka’s and walses from Johann Strauss, like an die schone Blaue Donau, Wein Weib und Gesang, Kaiserwaltz etc. Or Vanessa May with her Toccata of Bach with a beat coming out of the sea with her bikini and a transparantelectric violin.

But after the well known sonates and partitas of Bach (often recorded) of Julia I don’t expect much from Janine Jansen or Julia Fischer concerning rare violinconcerto’s and rare pieces recorded in the near future although, thanks that you forwarded my list of rare violinconcerto-cd’s to Julia , which you removed from the guestbook to Julia , Frank-Peter Fischer.

Janine Jansen and Julia Fischer must make name in their first cd’s and don’t take risks with obscure repertoire.

The graet singer Cecilia Bartoli is more a pioneer and also popular even with obscure material like Gluck in her first cd’s. She also had recorded on cd (commercial succesful!) unpublished music of composers like Salieri, a bit well known from the film Amadeus (Mozart) If she was a violinist I think she would have recorded the 2 unpublished violinconcertos of the pupil of Paganini: Camillo Sivori.

But I must be positive. On Julia’s website I saw some rarities:

Svendsen

Romance for violin and orchestra, op. 26

Schumann

Concerto in d minor

Ysaye

Andante op. posth.

Sibelius

Suite for violin and string orchestra, op. 117

Respighi

Poema autumnale

Maazel

Music for violin and orchestra

Achron

Hebrew Melody

Ernst

Etude No. 6 “The Last Rose ”

Grand Caprice op. 26 “Erlkönig”

Bach

Sonata for harpsichord and violin in b minor, BWV 1014

Sonata for harpsichord and violin in A major, BWV 1015

Sonata for harpsichord and violin in E major, BWV 1016

Hindemith

Solo sonata, op.11/6

Kodaly

Duo for violin and violoncello

Saint–Saëns

Violin sonata in d minor op. 75

Penderecki

Cadenza

I will also put this, next to “violin discussion”, on my weblog for possible reactions.

September 2, 2005 at 12:43 PM · Bram,

I second your opinion about unjustly not recorded violin concertos. The fact that it would hardly be a commercial succes, is probably the main reason.

Apart from the Paganini, wieniawski, Rode, Szymanovsky en Ernst etudes/caprices, violin etudes seem hardly to have been recorded. Next to that one Lipinski etude, I remember that Steven Staryk recorded long ago some Kayser, Kreutzer, Fiorillo, Dont and Mazas etudes. On LP, mid 1960s.

As for Kreutzer, I have ONE of his violin concertos, recorded from radio.

Any idea whether Julia Fischer would be willing to record the first Lipinski concerto? :-)

September 2, 2005 at 07:38 PM · Bram,

You have some good observations. yet I have to wonder about the seeming obsession with getting the message across to J.F.? Of course your post to the guestbook was removed. It was an improper use of their bandwitdh--you had all that stuff posted on your blog--all you had to do was reference it. Or put your suggestions into private correspondence.

An appropriate post to the guestbook might have been along the lines of, "I would love to hear her record so and so," rather than this long busineSs that you essentially spammed on them.

There is just something a bit too forceful about it all...

September 2, 2005 at 06:03 PM · Wouldn't it be a good idea for Bram to put up his own website with "works to be uncovered" where all interested artists could get information on enhancing their repertoire portfolio? That would also help in avoiding unsubstantiated and actually pointless guesses about what 22 years old soloist knows about her/his possible repertoire.

In general I'd like to recommend to keep the tone on a polite and friendly level rather than trying to force some repertoire onto someone who needs to develop her/his own art following own intentions and inventions and creativity.

Otherwise according to Bram Julia Fischer shouldn't have had composed a couple of new cadenzas for the Mozart concertos she just recorded? Because this was not on Bram's list. Just imagine artists would go Bram's way and try to force onto listeners what they should listen to instead of them following their own choices. Music would become a very militant piece of art then. How absurd.

FMF

September 2, 2005 at 09:34 PM · Bram, it's definitely an unfair world. No doubt people even more talented and prettier than either Julia or Antje died in childhood before their first lesson. By the same token, we can't take much credit for our accomplishments. But we can take some. Why don't you set up Heemskerk Records and record some of those pieces instead of jumping on people for doing what they want to? If I felt as strongly as you do, I'd find it hard to resist, unless complaining was my thing.

September 2, 2005 at 09:44 PM · In regard to your original question re: the site itself, go here

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.juliafischer.com/

...and fix those errors.

September 2, 2005 at 09:53 PM · It flunks everything but itself. Nice.

September 2, 2005 at 10:07 PM · @ bill platt. One year ago I sent my list of rare v.c’s to Julia Fischers website and I didn’t got a reaction. From the 30 violinist with a website and an emailadres I just got few reactions of interested violinists. But my aim is to get those never recorded violinconcerto’s because now they stay in the archive and you can’t buy them.

Than I decided to become a bit more pussy against those repertoirelazy and writing lazy violinists, who didn’t want to react even to my email with the begging whether they would like to ever record some of these rare violinconcerto’s

So after putting my rare v.c-list on the website of Julian Rachlin, who didn’t remove my list, I put my list on the questbook of Julia Fischer’s website. NOW, I got a reaction. That’s something. Frank-Michael would sent the list to Julia. One step.

Second question will she ever hear all 102 cd’s with violinconcerto’s by buying them, hear them in concerthalls (where they never will be played) or hire them from musiclibraries? Someone have to confront her with the excistence of these works and the fact that they are seldom or never recorded. There are even a few versions of a lot of violinetudes as example for violinstudents, which I also have played as amateur like Don’t, Kreuzer, Rieding v.c’s

All vicious circles as reasons why obscure repertoire (and sometimes very good repertoire) is forgotten. Also the teacher of Julia don’t know them all, so perhaps they are not so interesting (also teachers are too lazy to interest themselves for rarities)

@ Frank-Michael said (I like violinist who write own cadenza’s by the way, like Alexandre Dubach with candenza’s for the 6 v.c’s of Paganini, [who recorded them all like Salvatore Accardo] but Mozart v.c’s have been recorded already too much):

Just imagine artists would go Bram's way and try to force onto listeners what they should listen to instead of them following their own choices.

You can keep your listeners stupid and only play what they already know very well and never try to introduce something special, YOU like as solist, and try to persuade them there is much more beautiful music next to the evergreens they already know.

Perhaps Frank-Michael Fischer is the best new manager for André Rieu. His public wants to hear An der Schonen Blaue Donau, Der Kaiserwaltz und Wein, Weib und Gesang von Strauss (Richard was no member of the family, but wrote a violinconcerto I rather like to hear one day in the concerthall than Julia playing a Mozart v.c. with a new cadenza), Serenata from Tocelli und ¾ bar dancing stuff. Don’t irritate that public with difficult Ysaye or Paganini caprices: that is for freaks.

A Dutch 39-year old violinist Isabelle van Keulen (who does not have a website) with whom Antje Weithaas plays on her chamber festival in Delft is irritated about the commercial attitude of recordcompanies She says: again the record company launch a “brand new talent” every year and every year younger and sexy dressed (by the record company) girl like a popstar with a glossy website, who had to record overwell known pieces and with only 10 violinconcerto’s in her suitcase and beautycase travelling around the world. So superficial. It is just like the Eurosongfestival with face-painted girls from 16 And why should she have to record for the 1000th time again for example the v.c of Beethoven, earlier before recorded by big names in the past? What has she had to tell about this concert as person who had never won a big violincompetition about tempi and intonation? Ok for some not so specialized public these pieces must be played from time to time in concerthalls, but please no new recordings any more of these well known pieces.”

September 2, 2005 at 10:47 PM · Sorry, I used a wrong English word, here above. I mean "pushing" instead of "pussy"

September 3, 2005 at 12:58 AM · "It flunks everything but itself. Nice."

It flags errors in html based on standards that have been in place for years. Internet Explorer doesn't adhere to a lot of the standards so a lot of sites get created that look good in IE but don't follow standards. When viewed in another browser that does expect HTML to be written according to standards, the site doesn't look so hot.

Shrug, the guy asked. At a glance, fixing the first error will obviate the rest and then he can be sure that people visiting the site will see the content as he intends it to be displayed regardless of viewing it in opera, netscape, IE, firefox, AOL broswer, whatever.

September 3, 2005 at 02:48 AM · Since this has turned into a guy thing, what's a good toolbox to put in your truck bed?

September 3, 2005 at 03:22 AM · What's a toolbox? Heh.

September 3, 2005 at 03:28 AM · Ahhhahaha. Dude, beers in the fridge.

September 3, 2005 at 06:03 AM · What's beer...can it make me play better???

September 3, 2005 at 07:21 AM · bram, you make some decent points. others show a lack of understanding for the way the commercial recording industry works. and there are others where you are being unnecessarily rude to both mr. fischer and his daughter.

ms. fischer is far from a 'glamour girl.' she is an ARTIST. please LISTEN TO THE PERFORMANCES. this young lady breathes music. she plays every phrase with reverence for the music. there is a sense of holiness and honor in her interpretations. her tone is vibrant, her sense of rhythm and rubato are wonderfully mature, and her technique is rock solid. at the age of 21 she plays bach and mozart as well as some 40 year old veterans. what more do you want from her? does she have to blow flames out of her a___ while playing cadenzas to impress you? it BOTHERS me when i see snooty players criticizing the young generation. 'oh she's ok but she's no grumiaux...' where do these complaints come from? is it impossible to give a young artist any credit anymore?

the whole 'she's too pretty to have talent...' complaint is bogus. since when? if she is beautiful so what of it? kyung wha chung is gorgeous! nicola benedetti has eyes like the venus de milo. kyoko takezawa is ravishing! anne sophie mutter could have been a fashion model. but that is the last thing i think when i hear these artists play. i close my eyes and let the artistry carry me away to heaven. my favourite violinists are short, fat, double chinned, bald spot wearing old men with glasses and sweat stains under their armpits. and you know what? SO ARE YOURS. obviously i care little for fashion in my music. we are classical music fans not pop fans and the pop standards do not apply to us no matter what the record labels think.

if tyra banks or eva longoria picked up a violin and butchered their way through haydn quartets, i would not sit through such torture just to look at their dresses or their makeup and there is NO way i would give them a standing ovation because i like violinists who can PLAY. ms. fischer dresses in a classy way so as not to distract from her musicianship and she is the furthest thing from sluttish that a young lady of today can be. she does nothing to draw attention to herself and if you ask me she could do a little more selling of herself than she does in her public photos. you make it sound like she's strip dancing in nelly's rap videos while mc's swipe credit cards through the crease of her backside! give this young lady some credit, she carries herself with grace and class. and if you are a true violinist like the rest of us, you spend more time drooling over her expensive guadagnini than you do staring at her anyways!

antje weithaas has never recorded and i'm sure she is an incredible artist. but having a recording contract doesn't guarantee ANYTHING. eugene fodor, james oliver buswell iv, victor schultz, berl senofsky, kyoko takezawa, elmar oliviera, nadja salerno sonnenberg, uto ughi, josef suk, alfredo campoli, leo kavakos, steven staryk, dong suk kang, martin beaver, felix ayo, and joseph fuchs just to name a few highly skilled players all have/had recording contracts but whenever anyone on v.com praises their favourite recordings these violinists are NEVER mentioned. it's always oistrakh heifetz menuhin perlman kreisler etc. always. there have been violinists such as paul zukofsky, vic pikaizen, oscar shumsky, ruggiero ricci, and louis kaufman who made it a point to record obscure works but that hasn't helped raise their musical profile one bit and in kaufman's case it has doomed him to obscurity. even the players who recieve rave reviews in neglected repertoire such as andrew manze find their record sales only to a small following. mr. manze is nowhere near usher or linkin park in his record sales. so no, ms. fischer isn't walking around with a silver spoon in her mouth just because she has a recording deal.

the classical music world is full of artists who were all the rage in one year and 5 years later nobody remembers them and this has nothing to do with their talent, it's just the way things are. dmitry sitkovetsky comes immediately to mind.

notice ms.fischer is not signed to one of the large classical labels such as sony, deutsche gramophon or BMG. she has exactly ONE cd on a major classical label (EMI) and the remainder are on a small independent. if you have ever read donald passman's book on the music business you would understand that ms. fischer and her label have an uphill struggle to sell cd's around the world to distributors and store owners much less to the public.

ms. fischer needs the praise she recieves for her concerts and cd reviews to encourage store owners in places like canada to take a chance on selling her music because she is still very much an unknown entity in classical. she has nowhere near the star power of a perlman and so she must work hard to build her industry profile. she can only do this by selling cd's and she can only sell cd's if the music is valuable to the buyers and if her playing is meaningful.

i know it irritates ms. van keulen to never hear the nonstandard repertoire as it does me and just about every oldtimer to classical music but let's be honest here. even the warhorses aren't selling as well as they used to. the entire record industry is in a slump and has been for years. in the pop field there are entertainers who 'only' sell 3 million records in a year and get dropped from their label because they didn't sell 7-9 million like their last album. NOBODY in the serious classical music field has sold 3 million copies of anything as long as i've been alive and i'm 32! if ms. fischer can't sell thousands of mendelssohn/bruch cds what do you think she'll sell of student etudes and obscure rcm audition pieces? i'd like you to use your brain. you can think! but will you? that is the question.

do you understand that recordings cost money to make and manufacture? do you realize that it costs money to distribute these cd's and that the record label has to buy back unsold records from the stores? if ms. fischer makes 5,000 copies of a deberiot concerto and ships them around the world and only 1200 people buy the cd, the stores will return her remaining unsold copies when they do their annual inventory clearings. at that point her record label will have to swallow the financial loss and declare it on their tax returns as a business liability. if ms. fischer did this to her record label 2 or 3 times they'd go out of business or she would be DROPPED from her label (which as i have pointed out before is a small indie and not a major label so they do NOT have enough money to play around with finacial losses). please do not insult these people for their efforts to promote ms. fischer. you and i both know they would make a lot more money if they sold pop or rock and roll acts. nobody is going to buy a yacht and a porsche in 6 months selling glazunov concertos and mozart. the sellout/lazy repertoire argument must cease!

like you, i would love to hear ms. fischer record some of my favourite pieces. i'd love for her to record the spanish dances with orchestra, or christopher rouse's violin concerto or the busoni concerto or the delius or the joachim. there are a million unplayed pieces out there. but ms. fischer is a young artist looking to find her own legacy and as a fan and as a listener i have to TRUST her to choose the music that suits her musical temperament. one thing i as a violinist HATE is when violinists phone in performances. i need for my artists to believe in every note in order to justify buying their cd's and attending their concerts. i would rather ms. fischer play a passionate brahms or mendelssohn concerto she believes in than to hear her scrape her way through a lackluster nardini or deberiot concerto to satisfy her record label or some disgruntled fans who only want to hear the most underplayed things. what next, are you going to ask her to put out a sevcik box set? or the complete wolfahrt discography? who exactly do you think will buy such things besides you? ms. fischer is not a juke box. you can't push coins into her nostrils and expect her to eject violin concertos and etudes. she will not throw a downbow staccato every time you push her nose and pull her ears. she must take time to make music a part of her very being before she can play it convincingly. allow this young lady to find the pieces that will enrich her life and let her play from the heart. she's an artist and that is her job.

as for the point about ms. fischer having no repertoire knowledge, that argument is baseless. she is resurrecting the khatchaturian in the concert halls and on record and that was only her debut. she herself said she had trouble to play that concerto from the concert promoters, and the khatchaturian is a known piece! do you realize that after these pieces are recorded ms. fischer still has to tour them? how many orchestras do you really think are going to adopt any of the rare concertos you mentioned? do you seriously think the berlin or vienna are going to adopt a student concerto from a 2nd rate violinist/composer when they can run through the warhorses? and do you honestly think the world is waiting with baited breath to hear obscure student etudes? angele dubeau recorded the telemann solo sonatas and now i understand why they aren't recorded more often. BECAUSE THEY'RE BORING! the reason the warhorses are overplayed is because people LIKE them. is that so hard to understand? i know. i'm like you. if i hear another mendelssohn i'm bound to give someone a flying headbutt. but there are classical fans who will hear these pieces for the first time and their lives will be changed for the better because of these old warhorses. if ms. fischer can find a new turn of phrase for these pieces then she will earn her place in musical history.

please don't discount the idea that her incredible playing may encourage a commission from a contemporary composer that becomes as popular as the brahms or sibelius. it's a dangerous mistake to think that all the greatest music was written over a century ago and there will never be another mozart or beethoven.

and finally, i must mention the fact that GOOD REPERTOIRE AlWAYS RETURNS TO THE CONCERT HALL. bach's music was completely forgotten until mendelssohn ressurected it. vivaldi wasn't rediscovered until the 1940s and biber didn't receive his due until the 1980s! ms. fischer is not the only touring soloist. these days violinists are dime a dozen. i'm sure someone else can record neverheardov's 758th violin concerto in j# minor as well as ms. fischer can if they believe in the score.

as for ms. fischer doing competitions, why in heaven's name would she want to do a competition after she has started an internationally touring career? what were you thinking when you suggested this??? land sakes - the ideas people get into their heads these days.

September 3, 2005 at 07:29 AM · That was a four-star rant.

September 3, 2005 at 02:55 PM · Having read all the comments above, I would like to again ask, can beer make one play better?

September 3, 2005 at 04:50 PM · yeah yeah sure sure.

beer can make one play better.

matter of fact, beer can make ALL plays better - hamlet, waiting for godot, death of a salesman...

September 3, 2005 at 11:07 PM · Talking about beer. In the pause of an amateurconcert 3 hours ago I drunk 2 beer. After that break I play most notes as second violinist of the 1th and 3th part of the 4th symphonie of Bruckner as second violinist (First half we played 3th Hornconcerto, for me new, for Hornplayers an evergreen). What would be the influence of drinking beer on writing and prosaic capacities and thinking on this website? Perhaps one day an orchestra have to play a symphony and than in the break has to drink 6 or 8 beer and than playing the same symphony after the pause to hear the differences.

By the way I always have 3 crates of Vieux Temps beer from Belgium at home. Look here: http://www.beermania.be/singleCatBeer.php?b_id=500&b_cat=amber

In South Tjechie you have Janacek beer. This is their website: http://www.pivovar-janacek.cz

I also have Saint-Saens wine and Bach wine from Spain, the region near Barcelona Masia Bach Penedes. http://www.nettivuori.com/hannu/english/viikko35.htm

Perhaps Vanessa Mae can record the Sevcek etudes with a beat, if she as an artist believes in it and plays it con brio, appassionata, con fuoco, morendo, sempre crescendo, poco a poco attaca, v.s. meno mosso, rallentando, lisette tempo, nicht gezogen, bewegt nicht zu schnell, vorwarts, keinefalls schleppend (I rehearsed today 2th symphony of Mahler also like Bruckner mit deutsche proza and less Italian near the notes) so perhaps it will sell and perhaps some violinstudents will buy it, specially when she record it after drinking some beers.

Wow. Next mondayevening I gonna rehearse with an amateurorchestra the v.c. of Philipp (beer/wine)Glass

September 3, 2005 at 11:53 PM · I propose a toast to Julia, Antje, Janine, Liza, Emily, Laurie, Alena, Carla and all the other beautiful violin chix.

September 4, 2005 at 01:04 AM · Hey, I like that term, instead of calling them female violinists, lets call them violin chix...cool idea Jim :).

September 4, 2005 at 02:48 AM · Or we could just call them violinists.

Sorry, just a thought.

Neil

September 4, 2005 at 03:57 AM · There's always a boring alternative.

September 4, 2005 at 04:48 AM · I like the term "hot violin chix", myself.

And "hot violin hunks", since we're into equal rights.

September 4, 2005 at 04:53 AM · ...nahhh, lets call them violinist chix instead (jk).

September 4, 2005 at 05:44 PM · From Emily Grossman

Posted on September 3, 2005 at 9:48 PM (MST)

I like the term "hot violin chix", myself.

And "hot violin hunks", since we're into equal rights.

I could see myself as that Emily. Yep, I can hear 'em now screaming, "Go you hunka hunka rolling blubber!"

Hmmmm, maybe not. I really must get out on the bike more.

September 5, 2005 at 10:20 AM · You know, I've not seen any famous obese violin chix. Are there any? Am I allowed to ask such a question?

..No, I retract the question. That topic could offend in a hurry.

September 5, 2005 at 04:16 PM · From Emily Grossman

Posted on September 5, 2005 at 3:20 AM (MST)

You know, I've not seen any famous obese violin chix. ...

Odd that isn't it?

Or to put it another way: 'Marketing' rules the world we live in.

Or, while I'm on a roll, to put it yet another way: style over substance. (pun unintended).

Neil

September 5, 2005 at 11:11 PM · Obese violin-chix?

Lol

September 6, 2005 at 10:56 AM · I was a bit irritated as usual and wrote to a Dutch orchestra, Dutch Philharmonic Orchestra, who played with Julia Fischer: Why do you play 1th Bruch with her and not a Russian violinconcerto, she just had recorded so she can promote her recording, because after the break you play 5th Symph. Of Tsjai also a Russian composer?

They admitted that to program 1th Bruch didn’t have much daring and fantasy, but that the moment she planned this concert they didn’t know of the 3 Russian v.c-recordings. So perhaps next time with Dutch Philharmonic Orchestra and conductor Yaakov Kreizberg perhaps the Kachaturian v.c, you don’t often hear?

October 25, 2005 at 05:24 PM · This I found in my mailbox:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Julia-Fischer

Hi!

you wrote a message in Julia Fischer's Guestbook. Join my private fan page!!

You can share photos, sound, video, there are polls, agenda, database, chat.

it is a free and private Mailing list.

English is main language, but other are allowed! you can join without posting.

Hallo!

Sie haben etwas im Guestbook von Julia Fischer geschrieben. Einschreiben Sie sich in meiner Fan Page!!

Sie koennen privat Musik, Video, Agenda, database, Fotos finden und upload.

Es gibt auch eine mailing list, die prinzipale Sprache ist Englisch, aber ich kann Ihre Message uebersetzen. Schreiben ist keine Pflicht.

Ciao!

avete scritto un messaggio sul sito di Julia Fischer. Vi invito a iscrivervi nella mia fan page privata! potrete scambiare foto, video, musica, trovare sondaggi, agenda, database, chat, e soprattutto una mailing list. potete scrivere italiano, e tradurrò. scrivere non è obbligatorio.

Bonjour!

Vous avez écrit un message dans le livre d'or de Julia Fischer. Je vous invite à rejoindre mon fan club!

C'est un groupe yahoo privé, où vous pourrez échanger des photos, des vidéos, du sons, trouver des sondages, un agenda, une base de données, et surtout un mailing list (vous n'etes pas obligés d'écrire). la langue principale est l'anglais, mais je peux traduire vos messages si vous préférez écrire en français.

All the best!

Jérémie Leroy-Ringuet

Paris-Venice

student, 23

December 23, 2005 at 02:33 AM · I like Julia Fischer's web site. I would like a steady stream of pictures. Also, I like to hear Julia talking about her music and career.

Thanks,

Paul

December 24, 2005 at 04:06 AM · Frank,

I just listened to Julia's Prokofieff #1 con. 1st mvt. and it is really delicious playing :)

Verrry Rrrussian! Bravo.

She really should come to the west coast to play with us (Seattle Symphony).

December 24, 2005 at 04:12 AM · She is, Gen...Dvorak concerto in June. I can't wait to hear her Brahms concerti disk...when is the release that for that, FMF?

December 24, 2005 at 12:09 PM · I have no other release information than this one:

http://www.pentatonemusic.com/pags/upcoming4.html#maand

FMF

January 12, 2006 at 03:50 AM · For everyone interested in Julia Fischer's live performance of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto with the New York Phil under Maazel recorded in Avery Fisher Hall a few days ago, please enter either:

http://nyphil.streamguys.us/ramgen/nyphil/NYP_20060110.rm

or

http://nyphil.org/attend/broadcasts/index.cfm?page=broadcastDetail&broadcastKey=46

into your browser and you will be able to listen to the whole concert. This link will be up and working for next 14 days. The internet stream contains also Weber's bassoon concerto with Judith LeClair and Sibelius' 5th sinfonie. Encore: Paganini Caprice no. 2

In connection with this New York concert series you will also find a talk with Julia Fischer including a little live performance of Bach solo violin here:

http://www.wqxr.com/cgi-bin/iowa/air/features/article.html?record=4045

I will not put these links up on www.juliafischer.com as the links are not permanent.

FMF

January 11, 2006 at 08:37 PM · Free music is always welcome, thanks!

January 11, 2006 at 08:33 PM · Thanks. I'm one of the few remaining dialuppers and it even streams and sounds good for me. I used the first link which saved a *.ram file to disk, then opened the saved file from explore which started it playing in my Realaudio plugin for Winamp. The Realaudio plugin for Winamp is fine, but I'd suggest not downloading the Realaudio program itself, because it installs itself as the default player for everything on your computer, and undoing that is a chore. The last versions I tried anyway. It also wants to stay running all the time and so uses up resources. If we can just get a free broadcast of Sibelius for Emily now.

January 12, 2006 at 03:43 AM · I may just have to break down and buy a recording.

January 13, 2006 at 10:24 AM · In defense of Julia Fischer's playing, I heard her play the Four seasons with the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. It was excellent playing- exciting and passionate.

February 1, 2006 at 06:47 AM · Yes, thank you for putting Julia's NY concert on line. I've been thinking about it a lot since I heard it on NPR this past weekend. The playing was so spectacular that I was a half hour late to where I was going because I wanted to stay home and listen to the whole thing. I had never heard her play before and it really connected with me. Her playing was at once intimate and exciting. Her runs, that she performed at lightening speed, were absolutely clean and even. Mostly, though, she just seems to play from her soul. Left me breathless. I understand she will be recording it soon. Why re-record it? Just release a recording of the concert. It couldn't get any better!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe