Violinists, live concerts on CD

November 19, 2004 at 07:02 AM · I'm looking for some good recordings besides, Itzhak Perlman in Russia, THe Isaac Stern gala. I just like the intensity of live concerts better, and I was wondering is there any live recordings of some more modern violinists? I don't mean DVD's either...specifically Cds, and live concertos or recitals...thank you

Replies (22)

November 19, 2004 at 07:30 AM · Isn't there a CD with Kogan playing Beethoven sonatas in recital?

November 19, 2004 at 11:23 AM · My first recommendation:

Three violinist in Recital.

Featuring our own Emil C. togheter with Haveron and Croitoru.

Full with virtuoso madness.

Most violinist have released live cd's. Most notably Milstein's recital series.

November 19, 2004 at 01:18 PM · Midori Live at Carnegie Hall.

November 19, 2004 at 02:18 PM · Mattias, thanks! And, if I may add, my CD of the Saint-Saens #3 and the Bruch concerti was also recorded live in concert in 2000 and 2001. The "So, What Have You Done Lately?" is a compilation of things from various concerts so it's not A Single Concert, so I don't know whether that suits Patrick.

And, to forestall the obvious next question, the Chinese CD is ready for release, although it was held up a LOT longer than I ever thought could happen due to problems with the graphics (cover art design) and general layout (my liner notes, which, at last count, were 14 pages long).

November 19, 2004 at 03:36 PM · Sarah Chang recorded a brilliant CD live with the Berlin. Sibelius and Mendelssohn concertos!

November 19, 2004 at 03:39 PM · Emil - what about a distrubitur in Sweden???

It is almost impossible to get my hands on your cd's... And just the delivery from the States to Sweden is more than a regular cd costs :(

And how do you write 14 pages??? Font 40 or?

November 19, 2004 at 03:48 PM · I second the recommendation of Sarah Chang's Sibelius live recording. It is fabulous.

November 19, 2004 at 08:04 PM · Perlman Glazunov conerto - gushing with emotion

Chung Beethoven/Bruch concertos - red hot musical passion

Oistrakh in Prague box - czech radio broadcasts, not always the best sound but the always the best playing

(these are all live performances)

November 19, 2004 at 09:09 PM · Mattias, are you talking about a distributor for the old CDs or for the new one? For the older ones, I'm thinking to call up Amazon and see what we can work out, rather than laboring intensively to place the things on record store shelved. But for the new one, hmmm...

As for the liner notes, I found a lot of cute, anecdotal stuff that I just couldn't bear to cut out of the finished notes. That, plus the producer said that I could write as much as I pleased. That, I'm afraid, is very much like giving the monkey the keys to the banana plantation.

November 19, 2004 at 09:23 PM · I think Shaham's recording of the Brahms concerto is live with Abbado. The double concerto is also on that cd.

November 19, 2004 at 09:35 PM · For 'Live' recordings, I would particularly recommend 'Vadim Repin au Louvre'

with Debussy sonata, Schubert 'Grand Duo' for violin and piano, Prokoviev sonata for 2 violins Op.56, Ravel sonata etc...A fabulous recital in Paris recorded in 1999.

November 19, 2004 at 09:54 PM · Music & Arts has a great 4-CD set of live Milstein recordings from the late 50's and 60's. It includes the Beethoven concerto, 2 Mozart concerti (4 and 5), the Goldmark and much more. You'll hear lots of nitty-gritti stuff, including a propulsiveness in some of the pieces that is missing in his studio recordings, especially in the Mozart. It's fascinating, especially for Milstein fans.

November 20, 2004 at 03:18 PM · On top of the Milstein CD's, Music&Arts had a lot of stuff. There is also some Heifetz live, etc.. There is a whole collection of live Heifetz recording now out (I think there is currently 5 volumes). VAI has a bunch of stuff on CD and DVD (check out their site). Naxos has put out a bunch of stuff. There is a live Heifetz Mendelssohn in the Toscanini series, and a recording of live Milstein concerts that came out. There is a great recital CD of Joseph Fuks playing at Carnegie for his like 77th B-day which is simply amazing. EMI has put out a lot of live Oistrakh recordings of performances for the BBC (in the BBC series recordings) that are really good; many concertos... Hope that this helps!

November 20, 2004 at 03:26 PM · Midori's CD playing the Mendelssohn and Bruch violin concertos with the Berlin Philharmonic was a live concert.

November 21, 2004 at 06:41 PM · Perlman/Barenboim--Brahms, 3 sonatas (Sony)

Szigeti/Bartok--Beethoven/Debussy/Bartok (Vanguard)

November 22, 2004 at 10:57 PM · thanks everyone for your help. I've gotten some good ideas. I think I'm first gonna get the vadim repin au louvre album.

February 16, 2005 at 12:29 AM · There's a live performance from the Library of Congress, I believe from the 1950's, of all Paganini. The violinist is Zino Francescatti and the accompanist is, I believe, Artur Balsam. Anyway, it includes a version of the Concerto #1 with piano instead of orchestral accompaniment, a few caprices, the Witch's Dance, and a few other pieces. Francescatti is -- technically, musically --- spectacular. You will never hear Paganini played like this by anyone else. And it was all live. The pizzicato and double-stopped harmonics are not to be believed. The tone is rich and vibrant. And Francescatti had a unique "voice," like many of his older contemporaries, that is lacking in most violinists today (in my opinion). Anyway, this one's a real find.

February 16, 2005 at 01:15 AM · yes

February 16, 2005 at 02:29 AM · Would someone tell me more about the Music&Arts CDs with Milstein and Heifetz live, like where can I get them?

February 16, 2005 at 03:46 AM · Well, since we are talking about live CD's, I will offer you my recording of the Shostakovich violin concerto. Any takers? Going once, going twice....

February 16, 2005 at 04:46 AM · Nicky in answer to your question yes, Kogan did record some Beethoven Sonatas with Emil Gilels live, the record label "Doremi" has published it : http://www.doremi.com/kogan.html

I also have a recording of Yehudi Menuhin live in Carnegie Hall in 1940 - playing Bach 2, Brahms and Paganini 1 - astonishing playing - and he gets a very good applause :)

February 16, 2005 at 03:25 PM · The live David Nadien cd is very interesting. I also like the live recordings of Heifetz and particularly like the recording of Milstein performing the Goldmark. I also am in the process of trying to convince the folks at Download.com to post the Erick Friedman live recording of the Walton accompanied by the Stockholm Philharmonic for streaming and MP3 download. It is one of the best recordings of that piece I think. I will keep you all posted on this.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe