Nice Strings on Cheap Violin

November 17, 2004 at 05:35 AM · Hi,

I want to buy really nice strings, not to expensive but for an advanced student or per-professional in the price range of $10-$100. But the thing is I have a less then exceptional violin. Is it okay to put great strings on an less expensive violin? And if it is okay what strigs do you recommend? And even if it is not okay still pour out name brands?

Thanks

Replies (9)

November 17, 2004 at 06:23 AM · Greetings,

depends on your violin and how you play. Most people are satisfied with Dominat , Infeld (usually red) and the new vision.

A nice string that doesn`t get mentined so much is the Pirastro Tonica.

Cheers,

Buri

November 17, 2004 at 01:54 PM · You would do well to ask your local luthier which strings s/he recommends. The luthier can listen to your violin and give advice on what makes sense after doing so. We cannot hear your violin, and, therefore, it is difficult to give useful advice. Dominants are the standard string to start with, but your luthier may be able to recommend something else based on what s/he hears playing your violin with whatever strings it has on it.

November 17, 2004 at 02:00 PM · Can you give us more information on your violin? What is the maker, how old is it, what strings do you have on there right now and how does the violin sound with those strings on it?

Unless we see and hear it, it's very difficult to recommend strings, but with the above information we can at least get a better idea of what may sound good on it.

November 17, 2004 at 04:36 PM · My violin's a cheap one too (Karl Knilling Strad copy), and I just experimented with different strings to see what sounds best on it.

Problem is, that took me two years...

I know some people don't like them, but I'm a big fan of D'Addario strings. I haven't tried their new Kaplan Solutions E, but that's next. I also like Corelli Alliance Vivace, especially on the lower strings (they take a week to break in, though).

My violin has an intense dislike for any Thomastik strings, be they Dominants or otherwise. That's probably peculiar to the violin.

My personal recommendation would be to try some different strings, play them through their life, and replace them with a different set until you find the sound you like.

Like I said, though, this takes awhile.

November 17, 2004 at 06:41 PM · There is degree to which a better instrument responds much more to better strings than a lesser instrument will.

When I went from Dominants to Evah Pirazzis on my new (luthier-made) instrument, I was blown away by the difference. When I made the same switch on a Chinese (?) factory instrument, there was still a difference but it was much lessened. (The factory instrument, for frame of reference, cost me about $750 - probably well overpriced - some years ago. It's not total garbage, but neither is it very fancy.)

That said, I'd certainly experiment whatever kind of instrument you have. It's lots of fun. (Some of my favorite strings: Vision, Evah Pirazzi, Violino, Goldbrokat E.)

November 17, 2004 at 07:11 PM · I've got a really cheap violin (it costed 100$ for an outfit!), and I tried many student strings. At first I bought D'Addario Prelude and didn't like them much - they were to mellow for the bright body without good shaped bass bar, they sounded ... strange. My parents bought me a set of Pyramid Gold (the company is not well known, but I was really pleased with the strings. They cost 15$ per set, and are nickel wounded metal core). I received a free set of Thomastik Vision Heavy gauge, and Pirastro Violino, and Vision wasn't good, but Violino is extraordinary! It sounds beautifull. Haven't tried Tonica at the similar price range yet.

p.s. many people say Violino are similar to Evah Pirazzi

Regards!

M.

November 18, 2004 at 04:25 PM · Even on a student instrument an upgrade in strings is worth it. I'd agree with starting with Thomastik Dominants. Every violin is different and will sound better with a particular string. If you have a private teacher, ask for their advice. Are you looking for a brighter sound, darker sound? Part of it will depend on what your violin has to start with. Trying several brands is going to get expensive, so look for that teacher advice if it's available. Also shop around for those strings, you will find up to a $10 price difference on one set depending on where you shop.

November 18, 2004 at 08:40 PM · I have a cremona that is only a few months old and it is in the price range of $200 to $600, I don't know ho much exactly it is because my friend bought it for me and didn't tell the price but my teacher says it looks and sounds as if it is in the price range.

November 18, 2004 at 08:42 PM · Thanks for the sugguestions as well. When i got my violin it had really bad strings on it as well.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe