Sound post problem.

November 13, 2004 at 01:14 AM · My other violin had its soundpost toppled for the second time.. what is the device to get it back called? and any brands or models to look at? Thanks

Replies (3)

November 13, 2004 at 03:29 AM · A soundpost setter is used to reset the post into the instrument. However, this is a very tricky and delicate maneuver, and unless one has proper training and practice it is not advisable to attempt this operation at home. Since you said this is the second time it has fallen, the post is clearly not fitted properly to your instrument. Your luthier can cut a new post for you, afterwhich you both can tweak and fine tune its position to allow the violin its full voice and responsiveness.

In the meantime, let down all your strings, and forget about getting a soundpost setter. I know many violinists who keep them in their cases out of pretension, and have no idea how to even employ the tool at the basic level. Many historical masterpieces show the scars of unruly virtuosi, who repeatedly brandished their setters, stabbing them into the bellies of their great instruments. Constantly disastisfied, or perhaps hypercritical, with tone, they neglected to understand the normalcy and necessity of the ever-changing temper of a violin.

Eric

November 13, 2004 at 06:54 AM · I think Jim McKean put it best in one of his excellent articles for Strings: "Trying to adjust your own soundpost is a bit like going home and giving yourself a root canal".

November 13, 2004 at 01:32 PM · Greetings,

Michael, I have always felt it is closer to cutting a leg off then trying to fashion a prosthetic using lego,

Cheers,

Buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe