Carbon fiber bow

November 13, 2004 at 01:15 AM · Did anyone experence the different between a carbon fiber bow and a wood bow? and why a Spiccato bow is much more expensive than a Coda bow , if they're made by the same material?

Replies (18)

November 13, 2004 at 07:37 AM · Carbon fiber bows (in my experience) are quite a bit lighter than wood bows. For that, I don't love them - to me it's like having a light weight pool stick. If you like the sound that they produce on your violin though, I would go for it. I'm sure there are different weighted ones and some extremely nice ones out there. Just try them with your violin, and see how the sound changes, if you like it, dislike it, etc.

November 14, 2004 at 01:08 PM · I have the opposite reaction. CF bows in my price range seem more responsive to me. The bottom line is you have to try a bunch of wood and CF bows and see what works for you. We cannot tell you through general discussions of the differences and our preferences what will work best for you.

November 14, 2004 at 03:24 PM · Aren't wood bows easier to brake than carbon fiber bows?

November 19, 2004 at 03:54 PM · I can't speak for all carbon fiber bows, but "Coda" carbon fiber bows have a lifetime guarantee. Pluses for carbon fiber or at least theirs is that they don't warp or break. They make three levels of bows, accordingly priced. I know at least for their mid level bows, they are marked with their weight, so you can find something you're comfortable with. The coda we've purchased is very nice, and at least there is no worry about spending the same amount of a pernambuco and have it possibly warp in the future. The "colours" is fun, looks like a wood bow, but has a hint of irridescent color coming off it in the light. Not too much, you can still blend with the orchestra.

November 19, 2004 at 09:51 PM · i wish coda would make all there bows to look permambuco instead of black as an option.

November 20, 2004 at 10:24 AM · I've found that generally you get what you pay for. Evenly priced graphite-fiber and wood bows seem to be on par with one another. Beyond that it depends more on which INDIVIDUAL bows you take a liking to.

November 20, 2004 at 11:06 PM · I am the proud owner of a Coda bow. I absolutely love it, amd I would never go back to a wooden bow again. I highly recommend the. They are virtually indestructable, which is a plus for teachers and anyone who has children. I find the response to be nealry identical to a wooden bow, and any slight difference is nothing that you don't get used to after a week of playing. No one ever notices that the bow is black instead of pernambuco. In fact, in the very rare case that someone notices my bow looks different, it is because they are complimenting me on the coda-symbol inlay. I have had my Coda bow for about 8 years now. I think I paid about $800 for it (this was when the company was pretty new) and the owner of the company called me a year after I bought it to ask me how I was doing with the bow. The bows are great, the company is great, they never, ever warp. Go get a CF bow!!

November 20, 2004 at 11:14 PM · I agree with Ko. Some time ago I bought a cheap CF bow as a replacement for my rubbish wooden bow from an outfit. It's Carbondix for 110$. And what I can say is I really love it - the response is much better, and it glides across the strings with no effor. Go and try one!

M.

November 21, 2004 at 05:20 AM · I tried one out the other day. I thought it was excellent, I also love how they come in different colors too, if I do get one I'm going to go with a white stick!

November 21, 2004 at 06:00 AM · The responses to graphite bows forget one thing. Each maker is different and you shoud'nt lump them all in one category.

Some are heavier,lighter or the ballance differs. I have found the perfect one for under $100.00, it's possible.

I think that the coda bows are over priced and you can get better for less.

November 21, 2004 at 10:09 AM · "perfect" bow for under $100 - I highly doubt it - you must have low standards

November 21, 2004 at 04:20 PM · Now Danny boy, let's not be so elitist. Not everybody's wealthy like you.

November 21, 2004 at 06:10 PM · I know two players who used to prefer a 280 dollar bow for playing some orchestral gigs...they thought the response was similar to a 3500 dollar wood bow (they each had a good wood bow, by the way).

On the other hand, when I looked at bows some years back I did not like the look, feel, or tone produced by the carbon fiber bows I tried (yes, one was a Coda). I'm willing to give it another shot.

November 21, 2004 at 10:10 PM · And I'd also like to say, that there are many people who are learning, and do not need such an expensive bow. Carbon Fibers at $100 are often enough for them. And especially at that price range they are much better than wooden ones.

M.

November 22, 2004 at 03:00 AM · It's just not true that 100-300 dollar carbon bows can compare to those in the 2000-4000 range. If he got his bow for under $100, it's definitely a very basic beginner/intermediate student bow. I don't doubt that there are some excellent graphite-fibers out there - but the only ones I found decent were well over $2,000.

November 22, 2004 at 03:19 AM ·

A couple of highly-respected teacher friends of mine use $300-range Coda bows for teaching. They say that they're very consistent and reliable for demonstrating technique, and tonally about equal to a nice $1500 German bow, but no better.

On the flip side, I've also spoken with a couple of pretty good players who say Spiccato bows act like much *less* than they cost, but not as little as a $1500 bow, so I guess you do get something for your money, just not the spread you'd think, if my sources are to be believed.

November 22, 2004 at 09:03 AM · At risk of diverging this thread - I bought a CF bow.. but it's a viola bow. It just felt nicer, and sounded better.

Is this a no no? should I stick to using violin bows?

November 23, 2004 at 12:45 AM · I say, go for it! If you like your sound better with a viola bow, then by all means, do it. A wise teacher of mine once said, "There is no one way to play a violin." It got me thinking: in the old days kids were taught to hold a book under their bow arm when they played. Doesn't that seem ridiculous now? The point is, even an established classical art needs room for innovation!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe