Aldo Ferraresi

November 13, 2004 at 01:18 AM · Hello ladies and gents...

I have come across awhile ago a name which puzzled me, especially since t'has great accolades connected with it, yet nobody knows of him. The other surprizing thing about him is that since he was Italean, Italy is not on the map of great violinists in the 20th century, why?

I am talking about ALDO FERRARESI.

He is supposed to have been a master technician (he is known for his mastership in Paganini, Katchatorian, Shostakovitch, etc.), as well as a great musician. He'd been recorded alot, and the RAI (Italean TV company) seems to have alot of footage of this man. Can anybody help me, and shed some light on this man, and direct me to any available recordings?

Replies (15)

November 13, 2004 at 01:36 AM · Greetings,

you can find a helpful articleon him in The Stard archives.

He was associated with the full set of caprices long before Ricci et al. Asked to record them he stipultes taht they all be done in one take which said offer was turned down. He was associated with the Walton and numerous other modern concerto championing and I think wa sinvited to take over at Curtis after Zimbalist , an offer he declined,

Cheers,

Buri

November 13, 2004 at 07:25 AM · I have seen videos of Ferraresi playing and one of the most striking things was the look of complete and absolute pleasure on his face.This is not immediatly noticable with the other greats.Also he had an obvious mastery of his intrument.

November 15, 2004 at 05:48 AM · Ah...dear Janet. Where might a hungry historian find such treasures? Where in the USA might I even have the good fortune of hearing a recording of Ferraresi?

Thanks for responding.

November 15, 2004 at 10:51 AM · Alas David the only footage that exists are the Rai tapes.I had the good fortune to attend a seminar given by an ex pupil of his where we were given an insight to both his playing and his teaching career.Ferraresi was born in Ferrara in 1902 and died in 1978.This makes him a contempory of Heifitz.He was a child prodigy starting his studies at the age of six.He very quickly transfered to the Conservatory of Parma and then on to the Conservatory at Rome where he gained his diploma at 15 yrs of age.He then went on to study with Eugene Ysaye who regarded him as his best student.

March 6, 2005 at 07:54 AM · If you want to know more about Aldo Ferraresi, look at the site www.cremona.u-net.com/aldo.htm or on the book described on my site www.unife.it/lavilla.

He was a very great violinist whom we celebrated here in Ferrara (Italy) on May 2002.

April 4, 2005 at 11:54 AM · Hi,

I got a recording of Aldo Ferraresi playing the violin concerto by Mario Guarino (that is dedicated to him). Due to the fact that some people here had a lot to say about Aldo Ferraresi, perhaps you can help me to find more information about Mario Guarino or the concerto. Does anyone know him??

Best,

Tobias

April 5, 2005 at 08:31 AM · MARIO GUARINO

Born in Milan on 1900 Guarino was a violinist of Teatro alla Scala until 1943, afterwards dedicating himself to composing and managing public musical institutions.

The concerto was written in 1935 dedicated to the centenary of Paganini's death.

It was world premiered by Aldo Ferraresi at La Scala on June 14,1948, under the baton of André Cluytens.

April 5, 2005 at 10:54 AM · In the october 2002 Strad there is an excellent article "The paganini of ferrara" I've got the issue here with me so if there was anything in you wanted to know i'll have a look through it for you.

April 5, 2005 at 11:02 AM · Just scanning briefly over the article at some interesting things.

* "He was asked to record the paganini caprices, Ferraresi demanded that each should be a complete take."

*Two of his most memorable performances were in 1950 during the 500 year celebrations of christopher columbus in genoa, he performed the pag concerto no.1 on pags own 'cannone' and other event was in the papel palace in the vatican in the presence of pope paul vi.

*First violinist of the Sam remo quartet.

*"he remained closly tied with his native italy- somthing which probably played a large part in his name being forgotten further afield after his death."

anyway bored of doing that now.

April 5, 2005 at 01:21 PM · Interesting. I had never heard of him until I was looking at a list of great Jewish violinists on which his name appeared.

April 5, 2005 at 02:02 PM · @La Villa Gianluca:

Thank you very much for the informations!! Can you finally say when Guarino died (or is he still alive)??

Best,

Tobias

April 5, 2005 at 02:21 PM · He died in 1971.

April 5, 2005 at 02:35 PM · I should also mention the article is written by a student of his.

oh and love the name tobias!

October 3, 2006 at 07:04 PM · For anybody wishing to know better ALDO FERRARESI's playing, I inform that a box of 9 CDs is being edited with all major RAI (Italian Television) recordings of Ferraresi, from Kaciaturian concerto, to Sostakovic,Paganini, Elgar concertos and a lot of other pieces.

I am the editor of the set and you can contact me directly at e mail address: LVL@unife.it

October 6, 2006 at 01:17 PM · I must confess that this is a new name for me. But to say that Italy is not on the map of great violinists of the 20th century - we should recall the contributions of Franco Gulli, Salvatore Accardo, and such excellent chamber orchestras as I Musici and the Virtuosi de Roma.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe