Bach for Pauline

November 13, 2004 at 01:19 AM · Greetings,

if you read Pauline`s blog today (?) I suppose you might have beene wondering on impulse if you can help and then maybe like me thinking `not that I) can think off.`

But how about a repeat of something we did a while back here? Everybody who has the inclination play a short piec eof music and dedicate out the window to Pauline, wherever she is. 200000 violnists giving you a tapestry of Bach every morning is not to be sniffed at,

Cheers,

Buri

Replies (32)

November 13, 2004 at 06:03 AM · Wonderful idea, Buri. My Bach for Pauline will be flowing out of a Tennessee window in about five minutes.

Pauline, you have the support of more people than you know. Live on. Love doesn't make life worthwhile-- love IS at the essence of life, whether we notice it or not.

"This Jack, joke, poor potsherd, patch, matchwood, immortal diamond,

is immortal diamond."

November 13, 2004 at 06:30 AM · Pauline, you get a triple Bach from me. One on the violin - and two Christmas oratorios sung out of the nearest window as the sun rises above all of us.

November 13, 2004 at 06:43 AM · Bach Gounod Ave Maria just wafted out from Homer, Alaska. Piano played by my daughter Jessica.

Good luck.

November 13, 2004 at 10:26 AM · I'll play you a bit from the C major--there's hope in it.

I want to share with you a personal bit. I have been to the point in life where I wanted to die. I felt this way for a long time, in a clinical depression for I guess about three years. If I could give you my hope, I would. Continue to press on in faith, allowing room for that chance that there will be something better in your future. I am sad that you have to hurt so much right now.

Every time I feel life just sucks, I put a little more stock in the afterlife. So did Bach, and I feel it shows in his music ...which is why I will be quiet now and go and play for you. Know you are loved and cared for, Pauline. You could talk to me any time, if you like.

November 13, 2004 at 03:01 PM · Sorry I didn't see this before now!

I'll play the Andante from Bach's Sonata #2 for Violin and Harpsichord. Prayer will substitute for the harpsichord.

Love,

Miriam

November 13, 2004 at 05:11 PM · "I'll be bach" after playing some Bach for you! :)

And I'll throw in some vibes in too!

One-Sim :)

November 13, 2004 at 05:44 PM · i'll play the d minor for you.

November 13, 2004 at 07:19 PM · A Bach gigue will be floating out the window of a small Minneapolis apartment for you, Pauline.

November 13, 2004 at 07:44 PM · ...Bach's Badinerie...sorry about the first go around (darn performance anxiety)...but it was much better the second time...

November 13, 2004 at 08:17 PM · The Largo that's in F major (I forget which of the Big Six it comes from...) on the programme for you tonight, Pauline, with best wishes:)

November 13, 2004 at 09:19 PM · Minuet II from Bach's E major partita goes out through the window tonight for you, Pauline.

November 13, 2004 at 09:24 PM · I will play the G minor Bach Partita for you tonight, Pauline, out the window in Princeton, NJ.

November 13, 2004 at 09:35 PM · I'll play Bach's cello Suite #1 on violin and Biber's Passacaglia for you, Pauline.

November 13, 2004 at 09:37 PM · Presto Bach Sonata in G minor for you but only up until the first repeat because i haven't practiced the latter half

November 13, 2004 at 10:01 PM · I'll play the C major Adagio and Fugue, out the window for you, Pauline.

November 14, 2004 at 12:29 AM · III sonata Adagio. For you, Pauline. (I love your name, btw)

My fugue is still too choppy.

November 14, 2004 at 12:54 AM · I'll play the Menuet in D Minor.

P.S.-Pauline, there will always be grateful violinists here if you want to talk about anything. They are truly wonderful people.

November 14, 2004 at 05:04 AM · Pauline, Bach Double Concerto in d-minor I'll play with my student for you.

November 14, 2004 at 02:58 PM · I'll play the Sarabanda from the D minor for you, Pauline.

November 14, 2004 at 07:05 PM · I will play you the Adagio from the G minor sonata, it is so beautiful. One of the things that help make it worthwhile to be in this world. :) It will come out of my window from Pasadena, California, momentarily!

November 14, 2004 at 09:15 PM · Sonata no. 1 will be floating out the window in Idaho for you Pauline! Perhaps Laurie and I shall be playing together!

November 15, 2004 at 01:57 AM · I called Pauline today and spoke to her for a few minutes. What a great Lady!

This afternoon I also played the Bach Ciaccona at a recital and dedicated it to her.

Your friend,

PF

November 15, 2004 at 09:08 PM · Peter called me yesterday and told me about this thread. I had not seen it. It is so moving that after I read it, I cried. I have no words to express my thanks to all of you for your understanding and compassion. Bach's violin music is one of the greatest gifts, and hearing it come through my window from friends I've never even met is another.

Please don't stop playing for me. The acute phase of my problem is ending and the chronic phase is setting in. I have a lot of work ahead of me, and probably a lot of frustration and depression, too, especially with the (damn) holiday season coming up. Please continue to think of me and play some Bach for me, maybe once every week or two. I can't tell you how much it means to me, any more than I can tell you why I love Bach. I'll be listening through my window.

November 15, 2004 at 10:45 PM · Pauline, tonight an entire choir will be singing Bach in four parts - rehearsal in an hour. Forgive the screechy A's if our voices waft your way -- some of us haven't ironed that one out yet -- the rest is quite beautiful. You are not alone, and we care. If you were able to make lemon-aid out of some of those lemons you have been handed, wouldn't that be a wonderful thing! Take care and best wishes.

November 16, 2004 at 04:07 AM · Greetings,

Pauline, I spent this morning meeting with twelve mentally handicapped students ranging from barely functional to extremely violent. One of them came up to me and was so enthralled by the stripes on my shirt she went into a fit. Good start, Buri. (Mental note, don`t wear clothes like Mattias when working with the handicapped.)

As I introduced myself one of them did a major dump on the floor. I knew this wa s a good sign since he was clearly an over prune consumer!

Didn`t know what do do with them so took out my violin bow and showed the horse hair. They thought that was interesting so then we crawled around on the floor (avoid the dump ladies and gents) pretending to be horses and stealing each others tails. Having got their attention I played the first movement of the Handel violin Sonata in D to them and they sat like lambs. Decided elephants would be a decent upgrade from horses so we practiced being English , as opposed to Japanese elephants taking a bath. Thankfully no elephant dumps...

Then I introduced the violin and played the e major prelude which they mistook for a speeding train and one of them jumped out the window in his excitment. Fortunately we were on the first floor and there was a bush... And for an encore, they were so touched by the music that they actually learned to shout dilly-dilly in the right place while I sang lavenders blue and played the violin at the same time.

Back at regualr work-place after lunch, standing at the sink, cleaning off layer s of spit and pooh, putting disinfectant on the cuts, I wondered why we strange adults choose to live the way we do? There are so many fun places where children still know what matters,

Cheers,

Buri

November 16, 2004 at 07:08 AM · Pauline, we are all tinking on you!

Buri - I am glad that you finally took your doctors advice and went to that meeting. I hope that you made some friends that can encurage you to be aware of your problems...

By the way, have you seen my shirt?

November 16, 2004 at 08:48 AM · Greetings,

Mattias, if yer old pa can"t borrow your shirts every now and again then who can?

Everybody asked how you were doing after graduating.

Cheers,

Buri

November 16, 2004 at 10:22 AM · Well, I can accept that you use my socks for your golfclubs (I know that the smell keeps rust away...) but my shirt with the really long arms and the buttons in the back do I really have to get back, or my *friends* in the white shirts will give me those needles again...drool...

November 16, 2004 at 10:49 AM · Greetings,

Mattias my boy, you really don"t have to use the straightjacket approach just to change from an arm to a wrist vibrato. A plaster of paris cast set at 90% degrees does just as well. Ask your old dad before doing any of this silly stuff again.

Cheers,

Buri

PS Can I have a new seven iron for Christmas? My old one needs rehairing.

November 16, 2004 at 04:16 PM · Pauline, my daughter played the Bach A minor first movement for you this morning.

November 18, 2004 at 02:37 AM · pauline, i just played the second movement of the a minor concerto and presto from sonata no. 1 for you

November 18, 2004 at 05:05 AM · Greetings,

Pauline, I just read you blog and yep, some of the associated adverts are hialrious. You only have to mention the back or something and dozens of infernal contraptions turn up that do weird and wonderful things to the body- there`s this sacrum thing you seem to stick up yer bum and ....:<>. Its almost as interesting as v.commie at times. I seem to reall that prunes elicited mention of prune growers associations so somehting at least is right with the world,

Cheers,

Buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe