Trying to find my favourite movie on DVD

November 14, 2004 at 07:28 PM · Hi all,

Well after years of trying to find my favourite movie on DVD without any success, I hoping someone here might read this post and be able to help me in some way.

My favourite movie of all time is called Humoresque. It was made in 1946. For those who don't know the movie, it is the story of a violinist who, for want of a better phrase, goes from rags to riches whilst indulging in a love affair with his patroness. It is definitely a romantic movie with a not-so-happy ending.

It's fanstastic to watch for any classic violin fan. John Garfield plays the lead role, and in my opinion gives the best demonstration of "fake" musical instrument playing in all of cinematic history. Isaac Stern laid down the sound tracks, and whenever you see "John Garfied's" hands only playing the violin, you are actually watching Isaac Stern in very close up.

The movie also stars Oscar Levant and he belts out some great stuff on the piano. It's been about 10 years since I watched it, but I have a feeling there is a cameo appearance by Paul Paray (I could be wrong here). This is during a scene where the orchestra conductor calls John Garfield's character to account for rather exhibitionist playing in the student orchestra.

Anyway, I have been trying to find a copy of this movie ever since I got a DVD player. So far I have seen it on VHS tape NTSC encoded (I'm only interested in DVD). I have also seen a Region 6 DVD on a Chinese website.

My problem is that my player is Region 4 (Australia) and it's not practically modifiable to run multiple regions. I'm thus hoping that some reader here may know the whereabouts of a legitimate copy of this movie on DVD that will work on a Region 4 player.

I know it's a very long shot, but I thought it was at least worth trying, especially as members here are based all around the world. Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer directly in this thread.

Thanks

Replies (4)

November 14, 2004 at 07:54 PM · Jonathan Humoresque is one of my favorites too. That's Isaac Stern playing on the soundtrack!. Stern said on certain shots of Garfield playing the violin, there is someone doing the bowing and another person doing the left hand, the close up of the hands is Stern like you said.I I have the movie on vhs. Ebay has the DVD for purchase, it's an import. I'm ready to buy it myself, i think it is about $20.00 dollars.

November 14, 2004 at 07:58 PM · Rick,

Once again when it comes to the recorded medium, you are a life saver! I can't thank you enough! I have been after this movie for more than a decade! And I've looked on eBay before with no success.

I only logged on by chance this morning and found your response. The eBay auction only has 3 hours to go, so if I'd gotten on my computer later, I would have missed it.

I just hope I will win the auction!

November 15, 2004 at 01:28 PM · Good Luck! Hope you get it.

November 15, 2004 at 01:44 PM · try just putting it into google I found this http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/movie/pid/2176068/a/Humoresque.htm

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe