Know of any good (and relatively difficult) violin or violin-viola duets?

November 14, 2004 at 07:34 PM · I'm looking for a couple of quite difficult violin-violin or violin-viola duets (on the level of sarasate's navarra, or handel-halvorson's passacaglia) for a fun chamber music concert next month - any ideas?

Replies (9)

November 15, 2004 at 03:51 AM · There are several very nice duos by Boccherini - typically they have very tricky rhythms alhough other than that they are not particularly challenging technically. I thnk they are both unusual and interesting musically and should be more played. The Weiniawski Etudes-Caprices are pretty challenging for Violin 1 but quite easy for violin 2. The Prokofiev Sonata is pretty challenging for both violins and a great piece.

November 15, 2004 at 04:03 AM · Prokofiev duo for two violins- awesome piece and very challenging.

November 15, 2004 at 06:56 AM · I love doing the Prokofieff!

Ana Sokolovich's Ambient V is a good challenging, rather out there work for two violins. :)

November 15, 2004 at 02:17 PM · Mozart's K.423 and K.424 are excellent violin-viola duets. Stamitz also wrote at least one good one. However, it is not clear whether you are looking for showpieces or really terrific music. The Mozart and Stamitz are terrific music but will not require Paganini-type virtuousity.

November 15, 2004 at 03:38 PM · violin duos by ivan khandochkin

November 15, 2004 at 06:39 PM · <is not clear whether you are looking for showpieces or really terrific music - Tom>

I'm looking for both! Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll look them all up and see if I hear some sound samples. I was looking up Copland (I LOVE Copland...) and found he wrote an Elegie for Violin and Viola. I was so excited until I read it was unpublished! I guess because he ended up putting some of the melody in a string orchestra piece he wrote, or something. Oh well :) Any more???

November 15, 2004 at 11:20 PM · For violin and viola the 3 Madrigals by Martinu are very fun pieces.

There are also some nice violin duos by Spohr.

November 16, 2004 at 04:15 PM · There are many fun violin-viola duets that are not often played that are quite difficult. One very difficult one is the Duo Concertante by Alessandro Rolla (the teacher of Paganini). Other interesting ones that are quite difficult and effective are the Ponce Sonate en duo and the Duo by Villa-Lobos.

November 17, 2004 at 04:34 PM · The Werner Icking Music Archive has a collection of annoymously composed (late 18th century) violin and viola duets. Available for free online. They're quite good, and the editions are very clean and clearly formatted.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe