Einfach Midori (Simply Midori)

November 14, 2004 at 07:35 PM · I have learned about this new book by Midori herself but only published in German. I emailed "her" and asked if there's any plan to translate and publish the book in english in the near future, and got an response from the assistant that there's no plan for that! :(

I am not crazy about Midori, but I like her playing and think this would be such an interesting book to read. If any of you are interested in this book, I'd encourage you to email Midori and hopefully they will translate the book after seeing enough requests!

You can read about the book at

www.gotomidori.com (under the News section)

Replies (14)

July 23, 2008 at 08:20 AM · Reading biographies of living musicians can be as thrilling as reading telephone books. I read Midori’s book by chance and didn't await much. But it's simply an unique read! It's difficult to write about it, since one might reduce it to some points in an unfair matter. But it gives an idea of the curse of being a Wunderkind and literally falling ill with it. After she suffered for years (anorexia, depression etc.) she stopped playing as 23 y.o. star and began to reinvent herself in studying psychology and gender studies (her master's thesis is about pain). The humble and reflective way she writes about this way out of depression makes her book unique, the title of her biography ('Simply Midori') is it all in a nutshell.

Unfortunately it still seems to be published just in German, but should it happens that you understand German: get it!

July 23, 2008 at 11:10 AM · I read German, but not that well. It sounds like a book that might be rewarding to read to brush up my skills. But my question is, why? Her website says she was born in Osaka and currently lives in Los Angeles. Why German?

July 25, 2008 at 04:10 PM · How long's the book? If you've got a pdf, I can translate...

July 25, 2008 at 06:14 PM · No idea why it’s published in German only, the book says it’s been written without ghostwriter and translated from American English into German.

Unfortunately I don’t have a pdf-version, just the hardcover book (270 pages) – really a pity... Should you read it once, Megan, I’d really like to know your opinion about it!

February 21, 2012 at 02:11 PM · I'd like to re-open this thread that I'd missed, since the subject just came up by the way on another thread. I also can't understand why, born in Japan, and growing up in the USA, and apparently having written it herself in English, Midori chose to have her memoir published in German, wth no plans to have it translated. Indeed, if she did originally write it in English, it needs no translation - maybe just a bit of editing.

I met her once briefly after auditing a master class that she gave, and she was very nice.

February 21, 2012 at 02:41 PM · It's not so simple, as there are at least two Midoris in the fiddle world.

I think it's no good idea to use only the forname as an artist's name. At least you run the risk of being impolite.

February 21, 2012 at 09:53 PM · Well, so much for the idea that I was flirting with of changing my stage name to "Cher"! ;-)

But clearly, we're all talking about the same book. I'd love to read it if it ever gets translated.

February 23, 2012 at 04:52 AM · Greetings,

Tobias, your point is well taken but the name `Midori` is so entrnched in violinistic lore and culture ther eis no risk of offence as far as I can see. Don`t forget we all say `Heifetz` and no-one bats an eyelid. (and we did it when he wa salive too- also there are quite a few Heifetz@ in the violin world)

Cheers,

Buri

February 23, 2012 at 06:57 AM · Stephen,

I'm not sure I get your point. Heifez always called himself Jascha Heifetz, nothing else afaik. How could he or a Jack or John Heifetz be mistaken?

But imagine this situation: Midori Seiler gives a concert, a visitor says, no, that was not Midori, I want my money back...

Might ask Midori S. about her thoughts on this point some time.

February 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM · Tobias, Midori is not her only name, it is just what she is called. Her full name is Midori Goto, a name she acknowledge. And even use in her homepage.

It is worse with Kennedy, since he is not even the best Kennedy violinist on record...

February 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM · didn`t all the best Kennedy`s get shot...?

Tobias,

Heifetz did actually frequently call himself by another name as he liked to be incognito. I think it was Jim Holt. (same initials)

To be honest I stillcannot see the point you are making. Famous people are often reduced to single names in broader discussion and it is highly unlikely that anyone whoknow enough about music to attend a concert would -ever- confuse the `Midori` with any othe rplaye rof thta name. It simply isn`t a real scenario.

Of course one would never address her as anything other than Midori Sensei on an individula level but thta is another matter.

Cheers,

Buri, Burp and anything else you like.

February 23, 2012 at 01:44 PM · After the famous martial artist and actor, Bruce Lee died, people like Bruce Li got on the band wagon. I actually once knew 2 violinists named Anna Heifetz - and they both lived on the same avenue as I did in Brooklyn, NY! Once I heard that "Kennedy" was to give a recital and was excited to learn that a member of America's famous, glamorus if ill-fated political family played the violin. Of course I bought a ticket. Imagine my disappointment when...

OK, the last part I made up, but not the Bruce Li or Anna Heifetz part. So what does all this prove? I don't know. It's still too early in the morming for me.

Cheers,

Raphael (the one, the only. Accept no cheap imitations!)

PS Jascha Heifetz' nom de plume was Jim Hoyle, under which he wrote a few popular songs, one of which ("When You make Love to Me Don't Make Believe") was sung by Bing Crosby.

February 23, 2012 at 02:17 PM · Buri, Hanshi... sigh... To the rest of you, I was of course thinking of Daisy... sigh...

February 23, 2012 at 09:05 PM · as always, you have spring in your heart.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe