Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Prokofiev Concertos

November 3, 2004 at 06:37 AM · Can anybody give any feedback on the relative technical and musical difficulties of the Stravinsky, Shostakovich No. 1, Prokofiev No.1, and Prokofiev No.2 Violin Concertos? Thanks.

Replies (8)

November 5, 2004 at 04:28 AM · anybody?

November 5, 2004 at 05:01 AM · Contemporary music written for the violin is very demanding. It requires absolute expertise in the area of technique and superior finesse in intonation. You need to have a mastery of these skills and more in order to successfully play these pieces.

Prokofiev violin concerto No. 1 is harder than the 2nd one.

Sorry, that's about all I can say. That probably wasn't much help. :/

November 5, 2004 at 06:33 AM · Chris, in general, if music of Stravinsky and Prokofiev is a theater, Schostkovich's compositions are philosophy, drama, social disorder of soviet system. Or outer life with various differnt characters (Stravinsky, Prokofiev) and inner life with comedy, tragedy, humor and sarcasm (Schostakovich).

Prokofiev: lots of fine technical fragments, glissandos, harmonics, fast changing of register, dynamics and colors, lots of trills, and beautiful cantilena.

1st c-rto, 1st mvmnt-light, wide main theme and other, fairy, sometimes sarcastic themes... 2nd mvmnt-scherzo, sharp humor, accents. 3rd-related to 1st.

Schostakovich, 1st c-rto. It was named "concerto-symphony". There are 4 mvmnts. 1st(Nocturn)-very expressive, deep and wide melody. 2nd (Scherzo)-the big contrast-cold and sharp, irony, grotesque... (sorry for my bad english...); 3rd(Passacalie)-variartions on basso-ostinato: majestic, grateful, noble, intence theme followed by huge cadenza which leads to 4th mvmnt-cheerful final.

If you play this concerto, pay a special attention to intonation of diminish scales and intervals. Each single note is very important. There are almost no 'passing notes', especially in the 1st and 3rd mvmnts. Be ready to the very big dynamic range, you really will need a huge phisical power to play this concerto. To play Scherzo don't shadow accents, they should be really sharp, even with scratches. It is grotesque. Spend time to practice 'Poco piu mosso' from 2nd mvmnt, there are lots of difficulties with sharp intonation in doubles, so practice it slow and not loud. Save your power during cadenza up to 'piu mosso'. Starting 'piu mosso' you will need lots of energy.

Good luck.

November 5, 2004 at 10:49 PM · stravinsky was a really hard concerto for me to learn. in my opinion its equally hard musically and technically. rhythms are complex and i think u have to really understand the music before u can play it well. alot goes on in that piece.

November 7, 2004 at 03:14 PM · Comtemporary music is the hardest of the violin repertoire. Many students, who find they can play a decent Tchaik, Brahms, or Beethoven concerto, struggle on playing just the opening bars of the Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, as well as the Bartok, Berg, Elgar, Walton, and other 20th century concertos. I think the comtemporary concertos should be the last studied of the complete violin repertoire.

November 7, 2004 at 07:13 PM · elgar, god, what a mountain of a violin concerto.

November 8, 2004 at 12:27 AM · u bet it is

November 11, 2004 at 01:38 AM · Khachaturian, Walton!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe