CURTIS AUDITIONS

October 23, 2004 at 05:32 AM · Hello Everyone! I'm considering auditioning for Curtis this February and March. Although I've had friends who attended Curtis, I would like a little more feedback on the school in terms of the audition (I know the Repetoire),the overall lifestyle, facilities. etc. Thanks!

Replies (7)

October 23, 2004 at 06:01 AM · wow, good luck chris!

October 23, 2004 at 09:36 PM · My piano teacher graduated from Curtis. Granted, that was a while ago, but anyways, in all respects I believe it's definetly one of the best music schools out there. Very small, though, and very competitive (as you know). Pianist and composition students are loaned a Steinway grand for the duration of their studies.

It'd probably be different for a violinist, but my piano teacher said that it can occasionally get lonely because the school is so small and your track may be very individual. All students do live in housing outside of the school (brownstones?). While she was there students also had the option of some concurrent enrollment at the University.

My violin teacher has had a few students who have made it to the final round; they were both absolutely amazing, and from what I hear the process was just so competitive. The two students I mentioned are now at New England Conservatory (one is currently the concertmistress there, in her first year!), and the other is at Colburn.

There's also no set graduation time; one graduates when one's teacher approves it. I think Hilary Hahn, for instance, deferred her graduation for several years.

The website has a huge amount of info, although you've probably already looked at that.

Best of luck to you!

October 23, 2004 at 08:00 PM · Well, I think Hilary Hahn deferred her graduation because she started at age 13... :) But yes, that is a distinctive characteristic of the school.

Curtis students can indeed take classes at UPenn, which I think is very attractive.

January 8, 2005 at 02:11 AM · Yes, they can but you have to complete a certain amount of credits at Curtis first. What will your repetoire be?

January 9, 2005 at 12:05 PM · Does anyone know the average age of students at Curtis? I'm just wondering if the kids are on the young side- like the 12-14 age range?

January 9, 2005 at 07:34 PM · There are quite a few young kids, so the average is probably lower than usual...

January 12, 2005 at 02:47 PM · Hi,

Although Curtis does take officially people until 21, they usually avoid taking any violinist above 18 years of age, and most of them make it in under 18. Cheers!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe