Violin luthiers and teachers in Calgary.

October 22, 2004 at 04:52 AM · Hey guys:

Iam considering moving to Calgary,Canada and would like your suggestions on good violin teachers/ good luthiers (violin repair), thank you.

Replies (16)

October 22, 2004 at 01:33 PM · Edmond Agopian is one of the most respected teachers in Canada. He teaches at Mount Royal Conservatory. As for Luthiers; Ross Hill does a good job but I'm not sure if he's still in the business. His wife sort of grabbed the business from him after their divorce and I don't know if he's still doing repairs. Does a good job but takes a while.

Then there is Goph (or spelled something like that...sounds like Goff). His instruments are notoriously overpriced but I don't know what his repairs are like or priced. Then there is PJ Tan in Edmonton. He's ok too and has a HUGE collection of violins. Be careful though to take his violins to a professional appraiser before purchasing.

Preston

October 22, 2004 at 03:21 PM · The second luthier who Preston mentioned is actually spelt, W.A. Gough (and yes it is pronounced Goff). Really wonderful man and I bought a very nice bow from him a couple years ago.

Check out the Mount Royal Conservatory, I think most of the teachers teach privately as well at the college. I really liked Wiliam van der Sloot when I was adjudacated by him in music festival last year.

October 22, 2004 at 05:20 PM · Thanks Kelsey,

Did you happen to notice that his isntruments were really pricey? Everyone I've talked to that dealt with him in instrument sales were not very impressed (one called him a crook even).

Preston

October 22, 2004 at 07:11 PM · This is very strange... It says this thread has 3 responses but I can only see the one I've posted!!! Can anyone help?

October 22, 2004 at 07:17 PM · So are Gough and Hill the only 2 luthiers that are trustworthy for repair? I currently do works with Michael Altshuler in Richmond,B.C, who is just wonderful as a person and a very talented, capable violin maker and luthier; would like to fins someone with his skills in Calgary. Thank you in advance for ur suggestions.

October 22, 2004 at 07:43 PM · Preston,

I tried out some of his instruments, they were quite nice, but don't recall any specific prices. The bow, I felt I got a very good deal on and his re-hair costs are very reasonable.

Kelsey

October 23, 2004 at 04:07 AM · Wilder & Davis keeps a luthier in Canmore on a rotating basis and I have found thier work to be excellent and professional. The luthiers rotate out to Canmore near Banff for a month or two at a time for a working sort of holiday. They then have a representative visit Mount Royal College on a regular basis for rentals, sales, and repairs. Do a search for Wilder & Davis and send them a note asking how to get in touch with the people in Canmore. It is worth the effort. I even have my rehairs done there on a regular basis.

October 23, 2004 at 06:36 AM · Hmmm...Why Canmore (Just been there, a nice quiet little town, but why not right in the city of Calgary)?

October 23, 2004 at 02:54 PM · It's a job perk...in the mountains, away from the East...they do some repairs and then have time to work their craft, either making violins or bows etc... Each luthier is only there for 1 to 2 months. They also then have a presence near Calgary and in the West. It used to be they loaded up a van every year and made a trip west. Also, there is an apprentice who is there all year and manages the business side of things.

October 23, 2004 at 02:50 PM · I agree that Edmond Agopian is an excellent teacher and performer, and in my opinion is the best violin teacher in Canada. He teaches at the University of Calgary. He conducts the University of Calgary Orchestra and the Calgary Youth Orchestra, as well.

October 23, 2004 at 04:12 PM · About Ross Hill and his (presumably ex-) wife, I couldn't help noticing that this is the second recent reference to this situation, the other involving Mr Kun. Is this occurence a common one? I wonder if the world of luthiers and violin dealers is soon to be dominated by a vicious circle of ex-wives?;)

October 23, 2004 at 05:35 PM · I completely forgot about Wilder and Davis! *punches self* They are very well respected and though personally I haven't had work done by them my teacher has had lots done and I know several others who have bought and had their instruments repaired by them.

October 23, 2004 at 06:06 PM · My mentor and good friend, Robert Klose is also an excellent teacher. He is in Edmonton though. He is well suited for students who are looking for an artistic edge. He encourages technical work but his main focus is on interpretation, phrasing, well...basically making music out of the notes. He is a brilliant violinist who's career was cut short by Focal Distonia. He made his solo orchestral debut at the age of 8 and was mistaken for a bootlegged Heifetz in his audition screening tape for Gingold at Indiana (they found out it actually was Klose on the recording when he was invited for the audition).

Preston

October 25, 2004 at 07:16 PM · So which teacher in the MRC Conservatory would u say has the best ability to give students secure, accurate technique, good sense of intonation, color, phrasing and etc.?

October 25, 2004 at 10:28 PM · I would say Agopian, but for advanced students. Fiona Carney is good too perhaps for students who don't get into Agopians studio.

Preston

October 6, 2009 at 09:53 PM ·

Good afternoon this message is a little later then the rest of the messages about Luthiers in Calgary, but I would like you to know that Ross Hill is still in business he has a new company by the name of "Aeolian Stringswhich is  at Suit #1, 503-17th Ave. S.W. Calgary, AB. T2S-0A9, Phone 403-244-5593. or by e-mail at hrhill1@shaw.ca. He is definitely my pick for Luthiers, he seems to have quite a dedicated following and travels when possible to other cities when there is a great need for his services. Hope this helps, have a great day.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe