Auditioning

October 19, 2004 at 05:41 AM · Hello,

I'm about to audition for a concerto competition in a few weeks time. I'm required to play 2 movements of a concerto suitable for a standard symphony orchestra. I've chosen to do the Korngold Violin Concerto.. Does anyone have any tips for auditioning in front of a panel?? I'm rather nervous!! :S Thanks :)

Replies (7)

October 19, 2004 at 05:48 AM · I just had a concerto audition yesterday. Granted, it was on piano, but here are my general suggestions.

1. Don't overpractice the day of the competition. Just run through your piece as if it were the audition, play some scales, and stay warm. It's already in your head and in your fingers. Eat a banana for the potassium.

2. Arrive early, and take time to warm up; enough so you feel relaxed.

3. Stay aware of the orchestral part (piano accompaniment) and keep the entire scope of the piece/movement in mind. Even if you don't realize it, just being in the "holistic" frame of mind will have an effect on your playing, especially in a performance scenario. It helps you communicate to the audience/panel.

4. Take your time; judges like seeing competitors comfortable and not rushing. And yes, they are on your side.

5. Finally, remember that what you are doing is fun, and have fun with the piece. Enjoy yourself, and afterwards be proud that you were able to do what you did. Giving yourself a good performance is the most important thing, and it is what makes any of this fulfilling (far more so than what the judges decide, if you think about it).

Good luck! All the best to you.

October 19, 2004 at 11:21 PM · Good advice, Cynthia. To add a little advice, I recommend playing scales, arpeggios, and maybe even an etude or another piece in the key of the piece you're performing while warming up. This gets your fingers "in the mode."

October 21, 2004 at 12:23 AM · Just wanted to add that Cynthia's advice sounds really good to me, too, especially #5. Best wishes and here's a really bad musician joke:

Q: you know how thespians always say "break a leg?" So what do musicians say?

A: "Break a leg-gro . . ."

Ba dom, chssh!

Cheers

October 21, 2004 at 02:13 AM · I agree with Cynthia about not over-practicing on the day of your audition. I recently had an audition for orchestra and I over-practiced and it was not very pleasing. One hour before my audition, my fingers completely died out on me and I couldn’t play one of the orchestral excerpts anymore. Then I screwed up on my audition. Fortunately, my conductor understands my playing ability since I have been in his orchestra for six years. But not every adjudicator understands your playing on a personal level.

It is also a good idea to prepare yourself mentally. While you are practicing, imagine that that is how you will do on your audition since practice sessions often go better than auditions. Before you audition, calm yourself down by taking deep breaths. Good luck!

October 21, 2004 at 07:10 AM · i happen to agree with Jeff. that really was a bad joke :cP

October 21, 2004 at 07:25 AM · Ooohgh, that was a very bad joke... And take that from the master of bad jokes.

October 21, 2004 at 11:36 AM · Greetings,

It runs in the family. Like prunes..

Cheers,

Buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe