Dream Quest

October 16, 2004 at 04:35 AM · I like hearing about the lives of our subconscious selves. What's showing up in everyone's dreams these days?

I dreamed the other night that I raced to a performace at a choir concert and when I got there they were stalling on the stage waiting on me. The pianist was improvising a long introduction as I gathered myself and prepared to take the stage. The music was something unusual and new that I don't even know in real life. But what made this concert extra special was my outfit. I had on a bright red top with small flowered print, a pleaded plaid skirt, a pink/red/black/white plaid jacket, hot pink tights, and long black army boots. I thought I was really something in this dream, and when I awoke, I was a little jealous that I didn't actually own any of the articles of clothing I wore in my dream. My true wardrobe is comparatively bland, and concert black is the standard when taking the stage.

My second dream is a recurrent typical teacher's dream. I'm teaching one of my students, and I've assigned her a piece that's way over her head and now I don't know how to fix the situation. For better or for worse, she decides to take charge of the lesson and ends up teaching herself. Unfortunately, the lesson time is over, two other ladies are waiting for a joint lesson (I don't remember this being an option in my Policy!). We are now 15 minutes into their lesson time, and I have no idea how to get the first student to stop and leave. Plus, I've never seen the other two ladies before, they have a whole slew of kids with them, and I figure the best thing to do would be to send them away and start them next week. The dream ends with me trying and trying to get everyone to leave, but they just won't go.

Replies (28)

October 16, 2004 at 05:21 AM · while in perfect pitch training I dreamt I went to a music academy and when on the airplane a kid was playing a weird flute shaped thing and I was able to identify all the notes he was playing(he was playing slow). that was the only dream I had like that.

October 16, 2004 at 07:56 AM · I wonder if Laurie will pull out her dream dictionary again :)

I love these threads...Unfortunately, I haven't been able to remember my dreams lately. As a matter of fact, I woke up this morning convinced I had had a really interesting dream, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was.

Emily, if I had to guess, I'd say your first dream is telling you to be more flamboyant/daring and your second that you need more time for yourself?...Obviously oversimplified, but hey, what do I know...

Ryan

October 16, 2004 at 03:29 PM · I dream more and more of my students! Being saddled with the clingiest one for an entire weekend; sharing a hotel room with another one while she weighed herself obsessively; going off with the father of one of them while the mother laughed maniacally... um, feel free to interpret...

October 16, 2004 at 04:01 PM · Most of the dreams I have aren't very good.

But the dream that I did like was one when I was performing with the highschool orchestra and for once I wasn't shaking all over and spazing. But it was only a dream.

October 17, 2004 at 01:23 AM · Emily, they were waiting for you and stalling for time just for you - you really were something in that dream. What if you could carry that feeling into a real performance I wonder along with metaphorically wearing that outfit I wonder?

When I started I had dreams before my first exam of the tip of the violin neck being broken off, my teacher going missing, and the bow turning into spaghetti. Before the first choir performance I dreamed someone had cut paper dolls out of my music which spilled all over the floor just before we started. Everyone hated me for it.

On the good side: "Dream lessons". One about harmony in chromatic colours that shifted with the notes. Explaining to someone what he was doing wrong with bowing which was actually an explanation of what I should be doing. Somebody trying to get me to have "responsive thumbs" years before I touched the violin in a kind of two person tai chi style mirror exercise.

October 17, 2004 at 12:02 AM · Sue,

Your dreams are crazy! That's all I can say.

Sara,

I hope your dreams come true. You won't always be a "spaz" in orchestra, I'm sure.

Inge,

Yours interpret quite nicely and in a straight-forward fashion.

I have thematic recurrent dreams, as well, which are much easier to translate. Recurrent themes:

Traveling, either by hiking, running, driving, or flying, usually unrealistic distances, and with a chain of obstacles that block me from my destination.

Small animals: lots of them, usually helpless, although some of them are evil. Sometimes I'm taking care of them, sometimes they must be destroyed.

Large natural/man-made disasters: lots of earthquakes, tornados, nuclear bombs, and volcano eruptions, along with a bear mauling or two.

Bathroom dreams: struggles with modesty?

And of course, the teaching dreams, which happen when I have too much stress from my lessons.

Every rare once in a while I'm taken to places with music and colors that don't even exist in real life. I have a feeling, based on those dreams, that there's more to existence than I even know about.

October 17, 2004 at 05:26 AM · Greetings,

I had a dream last night thta I was trying to solve a very unpleasnat murder on a beautiful vacation type island near Venezuela. I am completley bemused by this but suspect it has soemthing to do with the moderation stars,

Cheers,

Buri

October 17, 2004 at 07:34 AM · Here, I have a star. I endow it to you. What will it do for you? Will you now be able to solve crimes? Supernatural powers will now flood your being, you will have newfound authority with your chakra. Have fun!

October 30, 2004 at 04:43 AM · I have /had a most insane or unrealistic dream, which I have never let it go. I am violin unrelated professional, but I am an amateur violinist. My passion for violin transcends over anyone I know, including many violinist friends of mine. I dream / dreamed to have a family with her who plays violin and have the family that can form a quartet. My love for the violin to the degree that I would sell my house to buy her a violin.:) My dream sound corny, but dream is dream. Many thanks for the site to express one's dream. Mercy,

cantabileefan@aol.com.

October 30, 2004 at 06:03 AM · I had one where I was very late for a concert that I was doing, with a rather bizarre set of circumstances. Concert clothes had been removed from my locker a plane had crashed (with no reactions from friends and family) into my house and above all. I wanted to play but there was no way I could be there on time.

One I did highly enjoy and wish I could have had for much longer was a rather nice violin in hand for a long amount of time. :)

October 30, 2004 at 06:16 AM · The most common dream I have is being late and not being able to find the hall. I am rushing around (in dream slow motion) and for some reason can't find anyone who will tell me the way to the hall. The dreams are always very complicated and realistic and when I wake up my heart is always going thump thunp.

October 30, 2004 at 07:01 AM · This dream often comes to me: I have to play exam, there are 2-3 days left but I am completely not prepared, I even don't know what I should play. When I wake up I thank G-d it was only a dream. It comes from my life. When I was 1st year in conservatory I was badly sick after flu and I had to spend almost half a year in a hospital. After I was back there was three days left before exam. So, in three days I had to play Bach's Preludio from E-Major Partita and two etudes. You can imagine...

October 30, 2004 at 08:59 AM · Buri,

I take it Mattias appeared as Captain Hastings?

I once had a dream about going into a violin exam unprepared, and being asked to do absolutely impossible things (I think a 6 octave scale was one request!). I was so pleased it wasn't real when I woke up...

Carl.

October 30, 2004 at 11:46 AM · Has anyone seen the recent sports label advertisement (Nike?) where the concert pianist is dreaming he's late for a gig, wakes up and realises he *is* actually late for a gig and bikes to the hall in his shorts, helmet etc? Well, I think that's what was going on anyway...

October 30, 2004 at 10:07 PM · Might have told this one a while back, but don't think so---

I once dreamt that I was playing in one of my orchestra's concerts. Things seemed to go well but when we got to the end it seemed to me that I really didn't remember half of what I just played. A moment later at the reception I ran into the conductor and congratulated him on our good performance. Instead of his usual grin and thanks, he gave me a serious look and said, "Tom, is everything all right with you?"

"Sure, why?"

"You fell asleep."

That's when I woke up.

October 30, 2004 at 11:04 PM · I have a recurring dream before auditions on a stage that I fling (or simply drop and hear a crunch) my bow and violin out to the audience during my piece. It is quite irrational, and unlikely that I could ever fling my violin anywhere while playing, but the bow is possible. Infact, a professional violinist I know once threw her bow during concert three stands back and they kicked it slowly under the chairs back to her :)

October 30, 2004 at 11:56 PM · That Nike commercial! I'm just so excited that a classical musician got a Nike deal!

October 31, 2004 at 01:03 AM · i dreamt i whacked somebody over the head with my violin

October 31, 2004 at 02:49 AM · Ah, Laurie, you've seen it! Who's the pianist?

October 31, 2004 at 08:48 AM · Had a lengthy dream-lesson with Heifetz. He taught me some concepts that really helped my understanding. Later, friends who had studied with the man told me that he had shown them the same "tricks," etc. I'm still very grateful; thanks Jascha!

November 1, 2004 at 01:39 AM · Sometimes I compose the most amazing dreamscape music - it's certainly nothing recognisable. However, I can never remember any of it when I awaken.

November 1, 2004 at 03:26 AM · Ha, I had another dream last night, actually two.

The first consisted of trying to read music on stage for a performance and not being able to, the lighting was wrong, couldn't find the first page, everything out of order, and the audience was waiting. On stage with me was my friend (a flautist), and a teacher, an old grey-haired man in professor's garb (no one in real life). Right as we finally got going, the teacher stopped us after about eight bars and told us to put a little more of a ritard at the end of the phrase. I was angry and embarrassed to be interrupted in the middle of the performance. Then, as we started again, I found myself next to a window and the curtains kept falling over the music, so that I couldn't read it again. The curtains were deep cobalt.

The second dream concerned a woman who wanted me to play a hymn on the piano for her wedding, which was the next day. I was given the music by someone else, and since it appeared easy, I agreed. Only later did I find out that this was not the music she wanted. In her hands, she had this incredibly difficult arrangement of the piece. Oh no! I'll have to practice all night to get this worked up. And that's what I spent the rest of the night doing. Not very restful. I even awoke, fell back asleep, and dreamed it was later and people were asking me why I wasn't practicing. Yuck!

November 11, 2004 at 06:47 AM · whoa..last night i dreamed of being put on court trial for stealing a rosin at a music store....but i eventually won...thanks to my subconscious lawyer..hehehe

November 11, 2004 at 04:09 PM · You know, I've sometimes been able to continue my dreams if I only half-wake-up, glance at the clock, and roll over. then I can usually pick up where my dream left off. If I'm really lazy that morning, I'll sometimes have a four or five part dream! Usually the dreams are something about somebody schemeing to destroy me politically (whether in an orchestra, or ina job, or whatever). I interpret this to mean I'm insecure about myself and my abilities, but that's a guess.

November 11, 2004 at 06:09 PM · I had an unusual dream about a year ago. I was climbing a hill and looked down below into the valley where black smoke was billowing out of factories. That was symbolic of oppressive lifestyles. To the left were blackened abandoned huts backed onto a treeline which showed the difficult lives people had not so long ago. But then I climbed higher toward music, and festivities going on around the corner unseen. People were going toward the festivities, old men were juggling balls and throwing hats in lighthearted playfulness and all the time this beautiful music was playing. When I woke up I wrote down the first 8 or 9 notes of the theme. I've composed a melodic line out of it, trying to go in the direction that the music in the dream went, which is upward from sadness into hope and joy and serenity and have a rough outline of a harmony which a friend who has the theory I'm still lacking gave me.

November 12, 2004 at 10:04 AM · Sue,

The pianist is Yundi Li - winner of the 2000 Chopin Competition.

He's riding a wave of sensationalism in Asia right now, being the first Chinese pianist to win 1st prize at that competition.

My jaw dropped when I saw that commercial. Nike and classical musicians in the same ad - brilliant!

November 12, 2004 at 01:20 PM · Hi Gabriel, I'd watched that commercial twice. I were impressed. Its amazing an impactful story can be told in such a short time. Was he performing in the Forbidden City in the ad?

Wailan

November 12, 2004 at 06:58 PM · Hi Wailan,

I think it might have been the Forbidden City, though I don't quite remember anymore.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe