Why was the violin the one...

October 9, 2004 at 12:38 AM · I nearly became a flautist but then my mum persuaded me to 'use' and not waste the violin we kept in the loft...

Just out of interest, how comes you chose to play the violin and not something else(even though the violin is your second instrument)

Replies (26)

October 9, 2004 at 02:17 AM · What?

October 9, 2004 at 03:23 AM · I loved the shrill sound of the violin as an infant as opposed to the mellowness of the piano which my sister played. I used to walk around the house pretending to play an imaginary violin. I thought that the violin was the most beautiful thing in the world. I remember that I used to want a red violin. But yea, the violin was aesthetically pleasing and I was also attracted to its beautiful sound.

October 9, 2004 at 03:24 AM · Well, very few people have the innate musicality necessary to play many instruments well...so we choose one...or have one choosen for us...I started on the violin because free lessons were offered when I got to Grade 5...before that I really wanted to play the piano...but it worked out well...no regrets...

...but I have my favourite instruments in the other groups...if I had to pick a woodwind I'd pick the oboe...if I had to pick a brass instrument...tuba! (Gotta luv a tuba!)...

October 9, 2004 at 06:13 AM · The textures and infinite possibilities of sound that the violin has to offer provided one is good enough. And perhaps a perverse love of frustration.

October 9, 2004 at 06:42 AM · I liked string instruments because of my horse fetish, and I got to play on horse hair. I liked the smell of rosin and wood. The violin was cheaper than a cello. This is how it started.

October 9, 2004 at 07:00 AM · Don't worry Sara I have no regrets-it seems like you can explore a trillion things on a violin and it has so much character.;)

October 9, 2004 at 07:23 AM · The sound, the capabilities of the violin. And of course... the look, beautiful shape of that instrument :) It's not only beautiful as an instrument with gorgeous sound, it's also a beautiful thing!

October 10, 2004 at 02:07 AM · For once, I did what I was told:)

October 10, 2004 at 02:11 AM · 1. The violin was the instrument I originally picked out of all instruments of any kind that my school offered.

2. I was a puny kid (and adult,) everything else was just too big.

3. I hadn't heard of a viola before I picked the violin.

I couldn't do wind or brass because the thought of all the spit involved made me a little ill, so that's also why I chose a stringed instrument!

October 10, 2004 at 04:45 AM · True story: when I was born along with my twin brother, my dad looked at our hands and said this one's a violinist, this one's a cellist. So a few years later, in Spain where we were born, a cellist friend of my dad's came to our house and played for us and my brother was really attracted to the sound and went over and touched it when he was playing and was in awe (we were babies). Then, when I was 6, in America, we went over to my dad's friend who plays in the LA Phil and before we were about to leave, he brought out an 8th size violin just for fun and apparently I grabbed it and started playing on it madly. That lasted for like 15 minutes and then we had to go so they tried taking the violin away from me and I started crying so they gave it back, took it away, same thing and then finally we left.

October 10, 2004 at 05:35 AM · I picked the violin because when I was four, my parents took me to Milwaukee Irish Fest, and I heard the fiddlers and instantly knew I wanted to play. I like how you can play so many different styles. There are rock bands with violinists, they're used in classical music, Irish music, jazz, and more. Now that I'm older, the fact that there are violin-like instruments in so many different cultures intrigues me. But I can't play just one instrument. I also learned percussion and french horn, both beautiful in their own rights.

October 10, 2004 at 05:20 PM · Everyone in my family played piano and it seemed I was doomed to follow in my already very talented siblings and parents footsteps as a pianist, something I didn't like too much. I love piano, and love playing it now, but up until recent years I really despised playing it; I always had to play the same pieces my siblings and parents had played and it made it hard for me to be original and feel like I could actually play the piano. I refused to learn piano, but my parents being the good parents they are, encouraged me to take some kind of music lessons, and I chose violin! Seeing the violin played in parades when I was small and my grandpa taping a program with a violinist and telling me he thought I would make a good violinist sealed my fate and love affair with this wonderful instrument!

October 11, 2004 at 05:15 AM · I don't really remember; I know I started in the school string program in 4th grade. I don't think I ever really considered any other string instrument. A couple weeks back I realized what a good decision it was to pick the violin and not the bass. Don't get me wrong, the bass is awesome and one of my friends is a great bassist, but the instrument is so incredibly heavy....

October 11, 2004 at 04:45 PM · I had a choice? When I started it was just something that all of my siblings did, so why not? Now I choose it because it's the way I can really express myself through music. Maybe the violin chose me.

October 13, 2004 at 08:40 AM · Hi,

I don't really know, I can only ramble about my "musical cv".

My grandfather (from my father's side) was a professional trumpeter who had to give up playing for health reasons. Sadly, he died at least 10 years before I was born.

My dad has played brass instruments in his youth and learned the violin as a child. He also played the piano (self taught).

As a very young child, I ran out of the room when dad played the violin (not because he played bad - it was just too loud).

My dad and I played together since I started school. He'd play violin, I'd play recorder, later piano. I had piano lessons for five or so years and was quite good at it. But... as long I can remember, I always prefered violin music over any other kind, violin solo and string quartets are my favorites up to now. My first "musical memory" as an infant is Menuhin playing the Beethoven concerto (which I identified as "the record with the violet side-bar").

So in my teens, I finally got my dad to teach me the basics on the violin and I played piano and violin for some years. I also sang in a church choir for some years.

During university and early years in the job I stopped playing my instruments seriously and took up square dance calling. I finally missed playing music so much that ten years ago I reaquainted myself with my fiddle, playing duets with my dad, joining an amateur orchestra and 2 1/2 years ago took up "real" violin lessons. I joined another chamber group, playing the viola and regularly play string quartets with an ACMP-group.

I can rationalize all this that the immense repertoire and the boundless musical possibilities of the violin drew me in. Plus I find it charming the the violin is mechanically primitive (a little wood, some gut, some glue) but requires a lot of genius and skill (from it's maker, the composer and the player) - a nice change of pace in our techno-centric age.

Howgh, Juergen

October 13, 2004 at 01:55 PM · The violin was the first instrument that was offered in public schools in wa. I was desperate to start in any musical instrument, and of the group of us that started playing, I believe i'm the only one still playing.

When I was about 13/14, I had it tough finding inspiration to play the violin, so my teacher introduced me to jazz, and irish music, which rekindled my love for this amazing instrument.

Now I'm studying classical music at the greatest (in my opinion) musical institution in australia (Western Australian Acadamy of Performing Arts). My plan is to get my Bachelor of Performing Arts (hopefully with honors) and then move over to england for a while and get me a spot in a professional orchestra

October 13, 2004 at 02:21 PM · I played (and still do) guitar for many years before beginning violin. I've always been a sucker for good string quartets and I finally began to fiddle some years ago, playing folk styles. Eventually I turned to playing classical violin. I wish I could go back to college as a violinist...could still happen, who knows? Anyway, I just love the expressive sound, the ability to sustain or even swell the sound (as opposed to the guitar sound, which begins to decay so quickly). I still like the guitar BTW, but have more passion for violin.

October 13, 2004 at 02:44 PM · Music is not offered in schools in the Netherlands, so my parents send me to a local music school. There I was told I could choose between the recorder or violin. I honestly did not know what a violin was, but everybody in school was playing the recorder, so I did not want tothat. So I started with violin. Initially I was supposed to switch after one year to the piano (we had a piano at home, it is still collecting dust) but by that time my grand father had promised me a CD player if I would be able to play the Bruch concerto.

I guess you can bribe kids into anything...

I did get the cd player, but not untill I had actually performed it with orchestra. I told my parents I would not go on stage, if I would not get the player. I guess parents can be blackmailed too.

October 14, 2004 at 05:13 AM · It's a good story...

Background first: In my public school district everyone chose a band or orchestra instrument, choir, or study hall in the fifth grade. The year before we had been asked to return "interest forms" listing what our possible interests might be. Having taken piano lessons since I was 5 I was already a serious classical music enthusiast, so I knew band wasn't for me. Besides, the orchestra program, grades 5-12, only had 20-some students as compared to a several hundred in the bands, and I've never been a fan of crowds or loud noise. On my interest form I chose "viola." I wasn't quite sure what that was, but I knew it was like violin but fewer people knew about it (it would be "different" from what practically anyone else chose, and I was always a bit "different.") That's the boring part of the story.

I entered the orchestra room the first day of music in 5th grade with 6 other prospective orchestra students and picked up a viola. The teacher looked at me (diminutive little creature that I was and am...) and said, "Your arms are too short to play viola." The next day I sat down at a cello. When I picked it up the teacher promtly stated, "Your hands are too small to play cello." Being a tiny, shy 10 year old already dealing with arthritis and other joint problems, I wasn't about to approach that great big audacious "bass" thing in the corner. And that is the profound reasoning behind my choosing to play violin.

The end.

October 14, 2004 at 12:59 AM · Greetings,

I understood the correct response was `Your mouth is too big to be a teacher,` but ten year olds don`t usually learn this stuff until a little later. More`s the pity...

Cheers,

Buri

October 14, 2004 at 05:44 AM · Interesting question... quite a few reasons actually.

I first wanted to play the violin in 5th grade. There used to be a school bully who was this big, rough, burly neanderthal type of guy. However at a school event this guy was playing the violin in front of all of us. It was truly inspiring to see this thug/hitman demonstrating such articulation and control as he played so beautifully in front of all of us. Of course I only ended up taking up the violin 16 years later.

I also did it to improve my guitar technique - i.e to improve intonation and expressivess. I'd be hard pressed to find an instrument more expressive than the violin(except the human voice box).

Oh yeah.. all brass and woodwind instruments just "blow".

October 14, 2004 at 05:57 AM · Greetings,

I didn`t know Mattias went to your school!!!

Cheers,

Buri

October 14, 2004 at 08:54 PM · Phil-brass instruments don't just 'blow' I played the trumpet for a year and found out that you don't just blow-you have to purse your lips whilst your at it and by the end of it-you are out of breath, purple in the face and have lips, which look like you have had botox!

But I do know what you mean-is it that you can't really get as much character as you can get with a violin?

October 14, 2004 at 09:14 PM · Simply because my parents thought that violin was cheaper than piano and all the other string instruments.

October 15, 2004 at 05:04 AM · yeah I know that their is a bit more to just "blowing" with brass and woodwind... I was trying to make a joke (which turned out to be pretty lousy). I was writing colloquially.

I won't make anymore bad jokes. :)

October 15, 2004 at 10:44 AM · Yeah, i know ;) I was being sarcastic not serious! :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe