Comparison of Thomastik Vision and Pirastro Violino strings

October 7, 2004 at 05:27 PM · Hi,

I'm going to receive a set of Pirastro Violino (medium) and Thomastik Vision (heavy? perhaps its the same as Strong) strings. In Thomastik's case I mean Vision, not Vision Titanium of course. My cheap student violin has got warm (absolutely not mellow) tone. Which of these strings would fit my violin best? Now I'm using Pyramid Gold and I'm going to use them out (until they break, or something) - but because I'll have these two sets of strings, I don't know which of them are better for my needs :) I'd be very pleased for any comments on these strings.

Best regards,

Mateusz

Replies (3)

October 7, 2004 at 11:51 PM · Greetings,

I have never used violino. The vision strings are very good indeed. I feel they are a step up from Dominanat which became a kind of benchmark (until Piraziz ccam ealon). However, I find the e stirng way to thin so take care not to use too much pressure. teh goldbrokat e is perhapsa bette roption and it is dirt cheap. Don`t let thatput you off. Heifetz and Milstein both used this string...

Cheers,

Buri

October 8, 2004 at 12:19 AM · I've never tried the vision strings, but I'm a big Violino fan. They sound great on my violin, which has a very warm, dark sound. They're "Evah-Pirazzi-LIKE" (not quite the same), but more stable, more durable, and far more affordable than most anything else I would want to play on. (Dominants are less, but they sound absolutely DREADFUL on my instrument.)

'Erie (-:

October 8, 2004 at 03:35 AM · So I'll try them both and decide, which of them I like best. I've chosen Violino and Vision, because they are affordable to change within some period of time (they cost almost the same, about 35$ in my country), and I feel they both are far better than cheap metal D'Addario Prelude. Perhaps I'll like Violino more because of the low tension and warm sound, but I'll try when I got them. :) Thanks for opinions.

M.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe