to prevent future damage....

October 6, 2004 at 05:32 AM · i was just wondering what are some finger stretching exercises and such that you people do in order to avoid injury.

Replies (5)

October 6, 2004 at 05:34 AM · I do finger exercises called "scales"!

I feel that the Galamian acceleration scales are extremely useful in this regard, and I believe that anyone who does them faithfully (i.e. daily) will be able to play with full strength and to avoid finger injury until age 80, perhaps beyond. (Ask me in 2048.)

Unless, of course, your wear out your fingers typing too much on the computer! ;)

October 6, 2004 at 06:38 AM · Greetings,

I agree with Laurie that scales (and her suggetsion is one of the best type) will preserve your technique as well as Mattias` grandmother`s illicit liquor will preserve your liver.

But, scales are primarily a contraction exercise with the best will in the world so, yes you need to do a hell of a lot of separate stretching and you are never too young to start. But it isn`t just the hands. It is everything, especially the shoulders, back muscles and hamstrings. Violin playing at its best cause unbalances in the body that must be rectified by independent exercise. The classic stretch book which is my bible is Bob Andersons `Stretching.` Yoga is ivaluable.

Don`t confuse Alexander Technique with stretching or any other kind of exericse. it is a body use method that puts you ina condition to do anything -including stretching- at maximum efficiency and safety.

In the meantimesimply open your hands aas wide as possible for a count of ten. An excellent stretching exercise for the hands that also is highly beneficial for the back and coordination in general is , belive it or not, crawling.

Also check out the posts I made on the wrist pain thread currently running. There are some others describe there.

Cheers,

Buri

October 6, 2004 at 08:26 AM · If you finger-bath in My grandmother's (on mom's side) liquor, it will help you prevent some damages to!

Actully I don't think that playing the violin can damage your fingers.

If you practice now in a good solid way you won't have any problems when you get old.

But on the other hand have pain now during wrongly executed excersises you will get trouble when getting old.

So practice slow, with full relaxation and you can play forever!

And ya'all, remember to get back here for Lauries Thaikovsky in 2048. I believe that she can do it!

October 7, 2004 at 02:49 AM · Greetings,

Mattias, violin playign can be very dangerous at times.

For example, rteurning home the other day my mind wa s on a piece of music and I also wanted to pee. So I walked in the front door and took off my socks (which I usually just throw directly into the washign machine) and threw them directly into the toilet bowl.

The power of Bach should never be uderestimated. Use it wisely...

Cheers,

Buri

October 7, 2004 at 05:06 AM · Indeed, I plan to premiere my Tchaik in 2048. One note a day, I'll get there! Who said motherhood slows you down? Pah!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe