Wieniawski #2 vs. Saint-Saens #3

September 29, 2004 at 05:21 AM · I'm wondering if people can give me their opinions on which of these two concertos they like better and why? What are some good recordings of them as well? I will be choosing one of them to play, so which one do you like?

Also, on a side note, does anybody know of any good violin bow dealers/makers in Italy? I will be going this Christmas and I am looking for a bow up to $3000. Any thoughts?

Replies (8)

September 29, 2004 at 01:07 PM · Neither Wieniawski 2 or Saint Saens 3 tickle my fancy, I don't really like either of them, but I would go for the Saint Saens if I had to pick, because I kind of like the flavour it has. Wieniawski 2 annoys me, No 1 is much better...but so much harder.

September 30, 2004 at 12:41 AM · St-Saens is much much much more akward, though not really harder, than Wienawski 2, which is obviously very noty. Both are valuable learning experiences. St-Saens can be kind of frustrating sometimes, but the good thing is that every difficulty in it can be conquered (with work), whereas in Wienawski 2, you might discover that your spiccato or upbow staccato is simply not up to the task. Wienawski 2 is quite the ego rush, from a performance perspective, and I think it's underrated as music. Same for S-S, but in a different mindset. I'd go with St-Saens.

September 30, 2004 at 02:30 AM · I suggest the Saint Saens because at times the Wieniawski is over played. Another option would be the Lalo Symphonie Espagnole.

September 30, 2004 at 06:48 PM · I like Saint Saens a little more but I have to say the romance of the wieniawski always gets me

I would also like to add I somehow seem to perfer Vieuxtemps 5 and Paganini 2 to both concertos you mentioned

September 30, 2004 at 06:36 PM · huh i find the wieniawski harder than the S-S but thats just me i guess.

February 10, 2008 at 05:32 PM · comparative difficulty of the two?

February 12, 2008 at 04:17 AM · I did not play the saint-saens, but I did play the Wieniawski #2. The first movement is pretty hard. There are lots or hard chords and upbow staccatos. The second movement has an octave section for about five measures. The third movement is basically getting down all the notes and intonation. There is an upbow staccato section as well, but it is optional. There are chords in third movement, but not as nearly as challenging as the first movement. Gil Shaham's recording of the wieniawski concertos are the best so far, no questions.

February 12, 2008 at 04:20 AM · no questions?

Ask yourself some more questions. Perlman, Rabin...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe