bach solo partita/sonata for college

September 24, 2004 at 05:07 AM · i was wondering what the two easiest bach partita or sonata's movement there were to learn for a college audition. i heard the e major, 1st movement was one of the easiest? help

Replies (13)

September 24, 2004 at 07:54 AM · it depends on your point of view, they're all hard in different ways, the e major is easier musically than some. stay away from the slow dances, they're the hardest. the loure from the last partita for instance, or the siciliano from the g minor, both very difficult to pull off

September 24, 2004 at 08:16 AM · personally i think that technically the minuets, bouree or gigue from the E major are the easiest--but then again i havent played the whole book!! the adagio and presto from the g minor are difficult musically but they would present a good contrast for audition pieces.

September 25, 2004 at 03:12 AM · Musicality in the E Major seems elusive to me, not easy. The continuous 16th notes lead me into Etude Land, and they feel like the ramblings of a chatterbox, someone who is easy to tune out after a while. Perhaps this is just me. If you can get the intonation on that movement, you could probably get away with little musicality because some people are just happy and impressed with having all those notes in place.

My teacher started me on the 1st movement of the D minor Partita.

September 24, 2004 at 09:53 PM · I know lots of people play the first movement to the Partita No. 2 in D minor.

September 24, 2004 at 11:33 PM · I am one of them:)I started from Allemanda and Giga followed by Curanta and Sarabanda. I usually start with my students from violin version of Cello Suites, because they are technically much easier to play so we can concentrate our attention on Bach's form, hidden counterpoint and hidden harmony.

September 25, 2004 at 02:06 AM · Rita,,what music do you use that is where would I find the violin version of the cello suites? Thanks

September 25, 2004 at 05:49 AM · I have to say that the Prelude is hard. Mostly stamina and intonation wise. I would not recommend it. Aye aye for the Loure being hard, too. I have to play them on Thursday in a recital. AHHHH!!! I would say that the easiest for me are:

SOn.1 Presto...Partita 1: Double.(s). Son.2 Allegro, Part.2: allamanda (show off your musical ability). Giga.Sonata 3: allegro assai.

JW

September 25, 2004 at 02:44 PM · Rich, search from icking-music-archive.org

It's legal!

Lauri

September 25, 2004 at 02:59 PM · I agree that the Preludio is hard; here in the UK at least, I understand it's often used as a college-level technical study. I too started on the Dm Allemande and Giga, also the E Giga. Moved onto the Gm Adagio from there, but only cos I loved it - I wouldn't recommend it.

September 25, 2004 at 04:04 PM · I'd have to differ on the bm doubles being easy. The notes aren't generally too bad, though there are exceptions, especially if you take them quickly, but it's very hard to make musical sense of the long stream of running notes. The harmonies and sequences are not nearly as accessible as those in the E major Preludio, though that too has its challenges.

September 26, 2004 at 01:06 AM · Rich, I can e-mail you. What's the size of your attachment file?

September 26, 2004 at 02:19 AM · You don"t have to answer these very perosnal questions unless you really want to,

September 26, 2004 at 04:33 AM · Lol

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe