Does your violin have a name? how about a gender?

September 9, 2004 at 12:16 AM · Are violins generally "hes" or "shes"? I know that according to the Italian (violino) they should be masculine but in Russian it is a skripka which is feminine. Are violins always "she" like a boat?

And do people have names for their violins? For some reason, I always name mine Max--my half size was "baby Max" and my 3/4 was Max, and my current violin is Monsieur Max, and my second (which was made by my great-great grandfather,Max Fink, and it's not actually that bad) is named Grandpa Max.

Replies (100)

September 9, 2004 at 02:12 AM · Roxanne.

September 9, 2004 at 02:33 AM · Yes! My current violin is Amalia (she's a she...) which I read somewhere means hardworking in italian

When I tried out violins I got attached to quite a few in the process they all had different names from the feelings they gave me. Sir valentine and lucy are two that stick out.

September 9, 2004 at 02:28 AM · I named mine Caroline. This has nothing to do with its origin or maker; it's German, maker unknown. Rather, it feels like Caroline.

September 9, 2004 at 01:56 AM · Interesting topic! And yes, I have named my violin. Her name is " Vio Lynn." I don't know why I felt the need to give my instrument a name, but I did. :-) So, you have a family of Max's?

September 9, 2004 at 02:55 AM · I apparently stand alone as the owner of a male violin... no name; he's anonymous and his origins unknown and hard-to-find-out (although he's spent the last several decades in my home town). I suppose I just think of him as my other half and leave it at that. My spare violin is called Gerald, and my electric violin is Trudy.

September 9, 2004 at 03:12 AM · My violin's name is Uncooperative Bitch.

September 9, 2004 at 04:10 AM · hahahahahaha

September 9, 2004 at 12:37 PM · Just to say that "violino" was not the first term referring to violin and violinist. So it could be better to refer to the french "violon" which first described it (it is also masculine).

It is also a matter of fact that violins are most of time named by the name of a famous owner (it is then generaly the name af a male...)

September 9, 2004 at 12:44 PM · I have a few violins. THe one I use the most was named by a friend "Violet" and it stuck (He also named by bow "Bruce the Bow" but he's a bit crazy... but then again he is a musician)

My other violin I turned into a viola at one stage, and had a really mellow tone, so I searched my sister's Baby, sorry, Character Names book (she thinks she's an author) and decided on Damon (Despite requests to name it Viola)

My Acoustic-Electric is named James, as in Bond, as in the Electric String Quartet

September 9, 2004 at 01:32 PM · After having my violin for quite some time, I named it about a year ago. It was my great grandfather's violin. His name was Lawrence Zima, so I named my violin Zima. I still have not determined its gender. Its "hips" are rather wide, so it could very well be female. hehe. I never refer to it as "Zima" though. I just call it my violin. :-/

September 9, 2004 at 02:27 PM · My violin has a dark-brown varnish. Her maker (Joe Martin) named her "Amber Brown" while he was making her, though he scrupulously didn't mention this to me until after asking whether I had named her several times (I hadn't). I think he named her that in a reference to some book character in a book he read when he was younger, as well as the obvious pun on the varnish color. The joke, of course, is that my last name is Browne, and I picked her without having any inkling of the appropriateness. So I guess its Amber Browne now. *chuckle*

None of my other instruments have names.

September 9, 2004 at 04:51 PM · !!! So many female violins..

All mine are male.

My old violin is called Vince, and my main violin is called Figaro.

Also my 'cello is called Chubby (my mum named it.)

September 9, 2004 at 06:08 PM · My first violin was male. Always was, I don't know why. When people made fun of me in high school because I didn't have a boyfriend I'd say, "Yes I do, my violin." Well, then they made fun of me even more. *oh well* My current violin (my second) is a girl. Once again, I don't know why, she just is. A tomboy type though... I've never named my instruments, although I know people who have.

September 9, 2004 at 08:47 PM · This is an interesting board nick. I guess you can say that depending on the tone would deferentiate whether a violin be a boy or a girl. also by its history many things can help with that on determining its "gender". If the violin has a rich warm deep tone, i guess that can be a boy, and if it has a sweet high delecate tone i guess that can be a girl. It can also just be entirely up to you. My violin, a 1860 rocca violin is definetly a girl, for its brilliant tone and wonderful sound in the 10th postition.

September 9, 2004 at 09:48 PM · My violin is transexual, and likes to be called Big Wallie. It likes sunsets, long walks along the beach, and hates bagpipes.

September 9, 2004 at 11:21 PM · alan - i don't think your violin is alone there in the hating of bagpipes

September 9, 2004 at 11:33 PM · My violin is named Bradford and he is most definitely male.

I don't know if this experience is universal or not, but I've noticed that rental instruments usually don't have a gender.

September 10, 2004 at 12:13 AM · I heard once that if you reveal your instrument's name, it loses a lot of its "magic."

My violin is female, and my piano is male. Hence, my piano could be considered a "boyfriend" of sorts, in response to the person who brought that.

:-D

September 10, 2004 at 12:15 AM · My fiddle is named "Camilla." She was named by her maker, Bob Kogut of N. Carolina, who gives a female name to all of his instruments.. and writes it on the label inside. She's a VERY strong voice. I played viola for years... so I love her deep tone! We recently bought a "house bass" for jams... and since we got it just before the hurricane...we named it Charlie!

September 10, 2004 at 01:52 AM · my violin is quite male, he also has quite a temper.

September 10, 2004 at 04:37 AM · My husband named my violin "Bosco."

September 10, 2004 at 05:34 AM · My violin is a female and is named "The Kahumoku" after my favorite University of Hawaii women's volleyball player, Lily Kahumoku.

September 10, 2004 at 10:32 AM · My violin is female, her name is Valerie, and was named by a friend (unkowningly).

Ah Bosco, a name from my childhood, a certain red-haired, squeaky, green puppet from RTE2. :)

September 10, 2004 at 01:48 PM · My violin is male and called Bertie - We've been mates for over 10 years now although we do occasionally fall out - and I have been known (only in times of utter frustration) to threaten him with being chopped up and used to make a Viola. But he knows I don't mean it really, and we always end up making up in the end !!

September 11, 2004 at 04:03 AM · My violin gets called all sorts of obscene and inappropriate names. Mostly when it makes mistakes and sounds bad and makes me look stupid.

-JW

September 11, 2004 at 06:49 PM · My violin is undoubtedly a male and his name is Otto Totoro. xD

September 11, 2004 at 07:41 PM · My violin now is a girl, and I say that because she looks like one. But my next violin (this one is a beginners one) is going to be a boy.

Sara

September 12, 2004 at 12:45 AM · My violin is very slender with a bright orangy color, so I definitely think of it as a girl. Her name is Evelyn.

September 12, 2004 at 05:48 AM · thats a sexy name...

September 12, 2004 at 07:05 AM · Not as much as the name Owen.

September 12, 2004 at 11:00 AM · Owen is a pretty cool name, just like Emily Grossman... but we'll leave Buri's name out of this... he's just above and beyond

September 12, 2004 at 01:43 PM · this is a dumb topic...

September 12, 2004 at 02:08 PM · ...LOL...maybe...but it's fun! :D

September 12, 2004 at 05:55 PM · Wow, I must be a nerd because I named my violin "Ysaye"

September 12, 2004 at 06:15 PM · Why does a person name their violin? I have had a few friends (Emily ;)) try to get me to name my violin, but I have never really felt the need to. I love my violin dearly (though I don't own it) but just have never been able to get the naming thing and telling if your violin is "male" or "female". Am I totally weird for that? To me my violin has a very deep dark rich tone but it also has a very high singing tone as well, does this mean my violin is a unich? ? ?

September 12, 2004 at 06:36 PM · The way I tell if a violin's a girl or boy is the color; mine is kind of a dark brown, but light in some places and I'm hoping that my next violin is a pretty light brown and black in the middle, because that looks more like a boy. I don't know, I guess I can kind of just tell by the different colors. I hope this is all making sense.

Sara

September 12, 2004 at 07:18 PM · lol

September 12, 2004 at 07:18 PM · no offense buri,

but does buri ever sound like burro to you?

September 12, 2004 at 09:55 PM · Makes me hungry for a burrito, actually. And my name was much cooler before I got married. No offense to George. But I was Emily Steele. Now that's nice. Grossman sounds like someone you would detest for a teacher.

But we were talking about violins. Silly topic, but it comes as a reference point by which we all view our fiddles, and it is important to know what personality they have. Sometimes I wonder if mine doesn't groan at its current situation, that it ended up in the hands of a so-so American musician who thinks its name is Caroline when really it started as Ilse or Helga. Or perhaps I'm the best owner its had. I wish I knew where it's been...

September 12, 2004 at 10:44 PM · I've replaced the fittings on mine twice, played with a dozen different chinrests, 4 tuners, 1 tuner, with and without a pickup, now I'm going to try pegheds on it.

I think Frankenfiddle might be appropriate.

September 12, 2004 at 11:01 PM · I can't name my violin, either, so you are not weird for that. I can't name my car. As a kid I couldn't name my dolls. They were just "Mr. Bear" and "little doll" and "pony" etc. Maybe that is why I can never remember anyone's name. Names are kind of slippery. When you name something you have to stick to it, and I never feel the same way twice towards an object. The only named articles are my Japanese fish. They are made out of this strange thread stuff and hang in such a way that the three of them are always bouncing around and "swimming". Much better than the swinging metalic balls in offices that bounce against each other to no end. They are "moe", "joe", and "hoe". They are my work distraction. Once I named a violin "constantinople" because of the concept of changing names...But I killed that violin accidentally, so maybe I should take the hint. My violin is very precious and dear to me...that sounds corny. Hm. It, well, is pretty much everything. My activities and life and thoughts and goals all revolve around playing the violin and mine is what I've got and I like it. Simple and plain. "let me go get my violin". Rarely, even people who name their violins, have I heard them actually use the name in the place of the one language gave us, unless they think to first, which is unnatural. My violin is natural.

JW

September 13, 2004 at 01:51 AM · Interesting to note I think it was Vericini who named his vioins Saints Peter and Paul and got them lost in a storm. I named mine Saint Michael (spelling) the archangel. I did want the Mother of Jesus put on the back of mine with the name Co-Mediatrix on it to honor Mary. bye!

September 13, 2004 at 03:13 AM · Emily steele, sounds like a mediocore action actress, no offense,lol its way cooler than my name

September 13, 2004 at 06:12 PM · JW, interesting about actually using the name. My violin doesn't like to be called "Max" in public. I only use the names to differentiate which violin I'm going to use. And *yes* rental violins have no name or gender--they can be referred to as "the swamp fiddle" (uh oh, now I think my pfretchsner copy's feelings are hurt :(

Nick W: maybe you should ask your violin if it wants a tatoo before you take it to the needle fiends. :)

I started this thread because in the movie, "The Red Violin", at the auction, they refer to the violin as "she" ("If she will give us the pleasure")even though it's named for Busatti and Pope (the maker and the famous violinist who owned it). But maybe this is because in the movie the violin is meant to be supernaturally connected to Busatti's wife. So I just wondered if there's a convention (as in, all boats are female) (Not to be confused with silly logic: my violin is female, therefore my violin is a boat ...

September 14, 2004 at 02:13 AM · Hmmmmph.. My violin is a copy of a Scarampella.. So I guess it's a "guy" because inside it says Stefano Scarampella.. and some other Latin things.. or Italian.

I personally think all violins are males. because.. they violin is the king of the orchestra.. although this can be bias to a degree.

September 14, 2004 at 03:35 AM · lol

September 14, 2004 at 07:35 AM · The sensuos curves,overall shape, and extreme flexibility & variety of sound qualities all make the violin as feminine as can be. She is well-integrated though, and a good fiddle also has some balancing male traits...can you think of one?

September 14, 2004 at 10:42 AM · Greetings,

pig headed stupidity? Belching?

Beer consumption?

Puzzled,

Buri

September 14, 2004 at 12:13 PM · I used to have this dream that I was a violin (not that I'm implying I have, what was it, sensuous curves)....it was a weird feeling, actually. I'd wake up and be afraid to get out of bed in case I didn't have any legs..

JW

September 14, 2004 at 07:40 PM · somehow cellos seem much more female than violins to me.

October 17, 2004 at 07:40 PM · Okay people, here's the final word on the matter.

Violin: Soprano - female

Viola: Alto - female

Cello: Tenor - male

Bass: Obviously male.

Same for the other instruments - Trumpets are female, Trombones are male, etc.

End of argument.

October 17, 2004 at 08:00 PM · I never thought about a name. But since it's Hungarian and I just learned that the Hungarian word for violin is hegedun that sounds like a neat name. I'll have to ask the luthier how it's pronounced, and my violin (don't know if she's a he) whether he/she wants a name.

October 17, 2004 at 08:32 PM · My new violin named himself Eli...and yes, it's a he...the 1900s violin and my 2001 viola are both girls...

...there is a masculine or feminine timber to each instrument that I respond to...

October 17, 2004 at 09:26 PM · My violin is a he, and his name is Justin. My older sister, who has stopped playing the violin, gave her violin and bow personalities, but not names. Her violin was a fat, jolly old mister, and her bow was a tight-lipped, skinny old woman. They were married, but when my sister got a new bow--a buxom, blonde beauty--the married bow was suspicious they were having an affair.

--alice

October 18, 2004 at 01:32 AM · Sam, I disagree... my own vocal range is that of a tenor, and I am most definitely female.

October 18, 2004 at 08:05 PM · Shouldn't that make you a contralto?

October 19, 2004 at 03:54 AM · O.S.

Cellos remind me of FAT ladies. LOL

October 19, 2004 at 12:45 PM · Hi,

getting back to languages: in German it's

• die Violine (female)
  • die Viola (female)
  • das Cello (neutral)
  • der Bass (male)
I didn't give names to my instruments (having not more than one of each kind, there's really no reason).

Some famous violins also have nicknames, e.g. Paganini called his Guarneri del Gesu "The Cannon".

Bye, Juergen

October 19, 2004 at 01:34 PM · Yes Jürgen, but you must understand that in german you also have "das Mädchen", which doesn't make any sense to me.

Still, I think a violin is always like a female to me.

Lauri

October 19, 2004 at 08:07 PM · "Das Madchen" (I can't get the oompla thingy on there) I don't belive is right. It should always be "Die Madchen" because it's female and also once something becomes plural it's always put in use with "Die" am I right?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I've only been taking German for a month.

January 25, 2005 at 09:50 PM · I Got A Female Violin And Her Name is Sharon, I always Thought That my violin was a Female, PLus SHaron IS The Name of a Violinist I Worship (Not Litteraly) Her Name Is Sharon Corr.

January 25, 2005 at 10:16 PM · My instrument is most definitely a "he." I've developed a little test for knowing the gender of a particular instrument. Put it in front of the T.V.. If it plays better afterwards, it's a male. However, you must make sure the remote is within one inch of the violin or it will not respond (if it's a male). I've also noticed that putting my male violin in front of a big-screen television set does wonders for his tone. Ha ha ha ha--His name is FAUST. Okay, I can tell I'm about to be roasted for this incredibly shallow small-minded comment. I hope it made you laugh anyway. I guess I deserve whatever is coming.

January 25, 2005 at 10:38 PM · I've heard that violins are a lot like cats. They have a name that you give them, a name they allow you to call them and then a name that is known only to them.

January 25, 2005 at 11:21 PM · When I got my violin I had to pay $50 to have it neutered.

January 26, 2005 at 03:12 AM · hehe, I have two Klotz's, my modern set-up is Betsy and my Baroque is Bubba, hehe. Fun thread, good idea!

January 26, 2005 at 09:19 AM · Jim, why, was it poor breeding stock?

January 26, 2005 at 05:10 PM · Jim, you say neutered rather than spayed, so I guess it's a male.

My best violin is "the lion head" as it is one of those 19thc German types. It sounds far better than most of the lion-head violins you find. My first-runner up is a Lyon & Healy, so I have the Lion Head and the Lyon & Healy. It's understandable that, with similar-sounding names, one will sometimes answer when I call the other.

January 26, 2005 at 09:38 PM · Ah, Mike, you've hit on such a common problem . . . You'll have to name the next one Darrel, not to be confused with the other brother Darrel--are you to young to get that humor?

January 26, 2005 at 10:02 PM · you named your violin faust? how is your relatinoship with your violin?

January 26, 2005 at 10:54 PM · I never thought of my violin as having a name or gender... I think I'll go practice and find out. I've always thought of it as more of a pet than a person.

January 26, 2005 at 11:26 PM · Lurker turns poster here...

My first 'good' violin was named Joseph (after Joachim). I reckoned that since they were around at the same time, they may just have met!

My first decent viola (yes - sorry - I'm a violist really) was named Orsino by a Shakespeare loving friend.

I had to replace much loved instruments after a burglary some time ago, and although my current viola was named Demetrius by its maker, it is often less salubriously and slightly bitterly cajoled along as 'useless heap of firewood'. I'm not sure this approach helps either of us much!

My baroque viola is far better behaved, but as yet nameless.

K.

January 27, 2005 at 12:08 AM · My violin is a female but I haven't thought of a name yet. Any suggestions? Actually, it'll only be deserving of a name if I do well on my jury tomorrow. lol

January 27, 2005 at 03:37 AM · I have Tonio and Guiseppi, after their lineage. A couple of mellow middle class Germans of dubious petigree. I can't relate to their gender, despite occasional strong emotions.

I have no name for my bow - that would really be warped.

January 27, 2005 at 05:05 AM · Wow, I guess I'm warped. My bow has a name but I never use it [the name, that is]. Her name is Hannah and her Bible verse is 1 Samuel 2:1.

My violins have names too and Bible verses too. My Italian violin was named Jonah, but that never stuck. Instead we call him "Luca" after his maker. His Bible verse is Jonah 2:9.

My French violin is J.B. and his Bible verse is obviously John 1:29.

January 27, 2005 at 02:42 PM · 1. @Kelsey Z.: it actually is "das Maedchen", "die Maedchen" would be plural. So why is "Mädchen" neutral? Here are two theories I have: A girl is not mature yet, so "she" is not really feminine. Or: feminine nouns have the article "die" both for singular and plural. In order two distinguish between singular and plural, the noun has to be changed. Usually by changing the main vowel to an umlaut (a to ä/ae,...) or adding "(e)n" to the end. "Mädchen" already has both of these, so they had to make it a neutral noun. Neutral nouns have "das" for singular, "die" for plural. (doesn't really fit in this board and I hope I didn't bore any of you)

2. My violin is a 'she' and is called Johanna after Johann Sebastian Bach.

January 27, 2005 at 04:41 PM · Kimberlee,

I am definitely old enough to know of what you speak, having been a fan of the previous Newhart show as well and also being lucky enough to have seen him do standup live (San Antonion, 1968).

I am not, however, as old as the lion head or the lyon and healy.

January 27, 2005 at 04:52 PM · My first violin was a eunich and I usually called it "my violin" until I got my second violin, then it was called "the Strunal."

My second violin was certainly male and was called "the Antique."

Before I owned my third and current violin, I referred to her merely as "The Lady"; when I was sure that I would be able to buy her, I searched online for an appropriate name. I wanted to give her a female Italian name and considered "Donatella", and a few others before I saw the Kabalarian.com unpacking of the name "Nicola":

Although the name Nicola creates an interest in the deeper aspects of life, we emphasize that it causes an emotional intensity that is hard to control. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the heart, lungs, bronchial area, and nervous system.

Your first name of Nicola has given you inspirational, idealistic, and dramatic qualities. You have a clever, deep mind and the talent to excel in highly inspirational lines of endeavour as a dramatist, musician, writer, or artist. You can be lifted by beauty in all forms and are at the most creative when inspired. Your expressive, affectionate nature responds quickly through your feelings, but you must guard against being possessive and jealous.

I boldfaced the aspects of the name that were the deciding factors for me.

Of course, the name Nicolá is a little ambiguous in terms of gender. For a while my violin teacher and his father thought that my violin was a boy, perhaps because I'm a girl and by the conservative stance of the family, girls aren't supposed to feel for other girls the way I do about Nicolá.

I haven't named any of my bows although I often refer to them as "crap", "gypsy", and "straight." I suppose, however, that once I meet a bow which promises the same sort of lifelong relationship that Nicolá and I are beginning, I may name it as well. My violin has a last name as well, but that... that is a secret.

January 27, 2005 at 05:39 PM · Re Kelsey and Maedchen: I think the answer is simple. As I understand it, any noun in German with the diminutive suffix -chen is neuter, regardless of whether the referent has claims to gender or not. Modern Greek is exactly similar - if you don't know the gender of a noun, just stick the suffix -aki (little) on the end and it's automatically neuter.

January 27, 2005 at 06:49 PM · Molly, you're right.

And you got me on the right track, so here's the complete explanation:

"das Mädchen" derives from "das Mägdchen", which is the diminutive form of "die Magd" (bondmaid, female servant). And all "chen" words are neutral.

January 28, 2005 at 11:29 PM · When I first got my baby (my regular violin), my brother and sister kinda inspired his name: you see, they used to joke that it looked like I was carrying my "Tommy-gun" around (until I changed cases, of course!). So my fiddle's name is Tommy, and the bow is named Ed.

My spare fiddle is named T.J., for Tommy Jr. and his bow is Watson. Later on, I inherited a little fiddle that's cute, but I rarely play him; his name is Herman, 'cuz that's the name on the old label.

So that's my family! =) =)

January 29, 2005 at 05:54 AM · well, in German the violin (violine) is feminine... but I'm fairly sure my violin is male - simply because I see it that way. not sure why. but between male and female, male stands out as being closer :-D - my best friend has wanted me to name my violin, and I think I did once when I was younger with another violin, but I've never felt the desire to do so lately. however, my violin's temper is quite manageable - I think we've reached an understanding. I draw beautiful sound out, nourish it, take care of it, and in turn he brings the best out of my frantic performances.

January 30, 2005 at 09:09 PM · I've been looking for a name for my violin for a long time. I thought about "Grace", but it didn't really work. Then today in church, the choir sang a BIG medieval song to St. Cecilia, who happens to be the patron saint of music.... As they sang, it came to me. My daughter's name is Anna, which means "grace". So my violin is now christened "Anna-Cecilia".

January 31, 2005 at 12:24 AM · let's see how many of you are old enough to get this one...Do you know what Lawrence Welk named his first two daughters? Anna 1, Anna 2....

February 14, 2005 at 11:06 AM · My electric vioin is pink so definitely female!! her name is Cosmic. My acoustic is a Maggini so i called her Maggie. The viola i used to use was definitely male- called John (very un-imaginative I know!!!!)

February 14, 2005 at 04:06 PM · My friend Frankie says it's plain silly to personify inanimate objects with names. I told him that he's far too opinionated for a coffee table. Frankie and I are not currently on speaking terms.

February 19, 2005 at 06:47 PM · I have a female violin.

I haven't named her though...however, I had a rather strange friend who not only named his violin (freddie), but commenced to speak only to his violin.

February 19, 2005 at 09:07 PM · Hi,

My violin doesn't have a name, but it's definitely female. Way too moody to be anything else!

Cheers!

February 19, 2005 at 10:29 PM · Well my violin is "female" too (her name is Emily) and is not moody at all! ;) She is exceptionally well behaved. Come to think of it my two best friends are female and I wouldn't list moodiness as attributes of either of them. I'm actually far more moody than they are! Maybe you have just been unlucky Christian! ;)

February 20, 2005 at 08:49 AM · ...at least your Emily is not moody.

Actually, the name Emily means "diligent". It's an apt name for a violin.

February 26, 2005 at 01:09 PM · My violin is an old man, given that's he's 95 years old. But since violins last for hundreds of years, I guess he's still considered young.

I have a Bohemian violin made by Ladislav Prokop. I like to think of him as a male because of his tone quality. As for his name... still can't think of a suitable and special one.

April 6, 2005 at 09:22 PM · My violin is female and her name is Scarlett. I named her Scarlett because she is reddish in color and so is her bow.

May 7, 2005 at 02:44 AM · Oh, my violin has to be a female. Such a cruel mistress she is. And French, too. Her name is "Miette". One of my bows is English, unknown maker and his name is "Winslow". The other bow is American, and he's "Alexandris". Winslow has yet to be rosined up.

May 9, 2005 at 01:00 PM · Mine is simply "13" - not because I own 13 insruments (man would that be cool!) alas I have but 1! I have named it so, as the first time I broke it down, I discovered a small #13 pencilled under the tailpiece. It is a pressed wood chinese instrument - and I love it very very much!

February 25, 2009 at 09:13 AM ·

I called her Paris, because she's born in Paris, 1899, by Charles G. Brugere.

Although there are many scars on its surface but it has a mellow & bright sound.

Its double purfling proves that it was carefully handmade. Although it's not very easy to play on high positions, I love this elegant instrument so much. Will take good care of her as I can.

Paris is a nice name for a french violin, is'nt it?

February 25, 2009 at 01:41 PM ·

In general, I think that girls see it as a "he" and boys see it as a "she" which makes total sense and logic.  Maybe gays see it as the same sex who knows.  Yes maybe it has a link with orientation!  As for my violin, of course I've always seen it as a "he" + that the french word for violin is masculine.  Slava talked about this on an interview and said he missed the russian word for cello because it was feminine.  He also talked of his cello as a she and told it was like marriage.  He said that when you buy an instrument it is really evident with which instrument you bound immidiately.   In general people mary those of opposite sex!    Slava is so right about this.  Maybe the only ones who do not fall in love with their instrument are the very young ones who's parents or teacher buy the violin without advice of the kid...  Sad thing in my opinion! 

Anne-Marie

February 25, 2009 at 01:53 PM ·

"Baby."

But lately he's felt more like "Brat."

Eric

February 25, 2009 at 02:04 PM ·

February 25, 2009 at 02:30 PM ·

He's definately a gorgeous boy. His name is Dante Ivan.

February 25, 2009 at 05:22 PM ·

My violin is a boy, and his name is E.J.

February 25, 2009 at 05:52 PM ·

My violin was named "Ercole" (Hercules) by the maker.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe