Gout and violin playing

September 9, 2004 at 12:05 AM · Today, after visiting my local ER for a very painful unexplained swelling of my left foot joint, I was told by the doctor I possible have Gout. The word alone scared the wits out of me and I am now faced with lots of questions and uncertainty! What does this mean for my violin playing and profession and also my health? Although I was told to follow up with my doctor for more tests, I am already thinking the worst, the end of my playing and a painfull life ahead. Does anyone know more about this, any information would be very much welcomed...

Regards,

Peter

(((Gout is a painful and potentially disabling form of arthritis that was described in the days of Hippocrates. Gout is caused by an excess of uric acid in the body. )))

Replies (6)

September 9, 2004 at 03:03 AM · I know 3 men with gout...two are managing very well with diet...

...the other isn't watching his diet...he'd rather hurt and complain...

...plus, you might not be bothered enough by it to affect your playing...don't worry overmuch ahead of time...

September 9, 2004 at 03:07 AM · Greetings,

Peter, there are a number of different kinds of athritis varying from mild symptoms to horribly painful destructiveness. Gout is way down the friendly end of the scale and is quite manageable with diet.

If you doctor isn`t giving you decent info then there are plenty of palces to research on the Internet. But there is no need to worry about your violin playing. Shame about the coffee though....

Cheers,

Buri

September 9, 2004 at 04:05 AM · A friend of mine was diagnosed in his early 30's (he's now in his 40's) and really only deals with flare ups sometimes after a night out at the pubs. Definitely attention to your diet is first and foremost. I know a drummer who was recently diagnosed with it as well and if he can keep playing so can you. :)

September 9, 2004 at 04:08 AM · If you're like many men, it may only affect your feet or toes. Good luck-- I'm sorry for your worries.

September 9, 2004 at 04:31 AM · Greetings,

try for a quick overview

http://www.rheumatology.org.nz/nz08003.htm

Cheers,

Buri

September 11, 2004 at 05:15 PM · Hello friends,

This week I had a few exams done to see if I have gout, this all done by my doctor, not the ER. My doctor doesn't think I have gout in contradiction to the PA at the ER. Finaly the results from the blood test i did at the ER and they used to say I probably had gout was all normal except the uric acid wich was 2 points above normal. According to my doctor that is by no means a reason to say a person has gout and give the patient the scare! So it seems I am fine, still need to get on a diet and be carefull with my diet like we all do! But the scare made me much more aware of how fragile our body can be, but how simple it is to keep it in good shape with a proper diet and exercise. Not that I didn't know that but it made me much more "aware" .

Thank you all for your help and good health to all!!!

Peter

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe