Playing with music CD

September 4, 2004 at 07:54 PM · Hi,

I've been playing the violin for 9 months, 6 months with an instructor. I had to take a break from lessons to save up for lessons that will begin again in Jan. My instructor suggested what to work on and I am working on my problems by playing along to Craig Dncan's First Lessons CD for half of my practice sessions. Is this a proper way to practice? It seems like a good way to work on intonation - when I miss a note, it sticks out right away.

Replies (3)

September 4, 2004 at 09:13 PM · Are you having to tune your violin to the CD? Might be best to just to go through the fingerings along with the CD instead of actually playing then play it on your own?

September 5, 2004 at 01:12 AM · Chuck, I'd personally recommend that you work on problem areas *without* the CD, then introduce the backing track when you've got the piece down pat. If you play along before you have mastered a piece, you are simply rushing through, trying to keep up with the CD, and papering over the cracks, thus ignoring problem areas. Consider treating the CD as a reward for good work:)

September 5, 2004 at 01:33 AM · I have memorized the first dozen songs; the later songs are played faster than I can manage, but the scales are played slowly so it is easy keep time with them. I originally started to play with the CD to see if timing for quarter and eighth notes was close. It was then I heard my intonation problems.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe