Bruch 1st movement m. 24

September 3, 2004 at 09:27 PM · I am feverishly preparing the Bruch first movement for an orchestra audition tonight, and the fortissimo g minor chord in measure 24 still eludes me. While with the other chords/octaves the main challenge seems to be intonation/finger coordination, this 4-note chord gives me the most trouble. The slightest vibrato hurts my intonation--I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong type of vibrato (though mine seems to be a hybrid--I haven't significantly or consciously managed to differentiate my arm/wrist/finger vibratos). No vibrato sounds ugly too. I've considered letting go of the b flat on the uppper part of the chord a little early, but that may be cheating and not the right solution. And how to avoid making the tone too screamingly intense? For all its rapture, I'll be glad to put this movement aside for awhile after tonight.

Replies (3)

September 3, 2004 at 10:13 PM · i'd practice that the same way i practice all those beginning double stops. first use light bow and get the intervals absolutely where you want them, it should really tickle something inside of you when they're jsut right. once you have them, start messing around with weight, pressure and especially sounding point, when you're getting tons of volume, and a really good robust sound (should be next to bridge), start adding vibrato slowly. try every variation you can think of until you find exactly the sound you want. btw this practice is excellent for the third movement as well.

September 3, 2004 at 10:51 PM · Greetings,

in vibrato on double stops the attention hould be centered on the upper note. This is the opposite of shifting,

Cheers

Buri

September 4, 2004 at 02:58 AM · Thanks for the advice! As terrifying as the prospect of playing that Bruch chord was, it was not nearly as terrifying as the sightreading session that followed. Owen--this is Dorothy Barth, by the way. For some mysterious reason I'm being identified as Bert, who also joined the forum a few days ago in order to impart an audiophile opinion. I'm new to the discussion board, but will add my name to future postings to identify myself, in case it continues to call me Bert.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe