Can Anyone Help me with the Glissando's in Zigeunerweisen?

September 2, 2004 at 12:58 AM · Hey! well i wanted some tips on the glissando's in Zigeunerweisen. I have been working on it for about a month and i almost have it down but it doesn't sound right. I heard the only way to get it is to practice over and over but it doesn't seem to help. I practice just those glissando's about 1 hr. per practice session.

Also the upbow veloce run starting on the e flat. I cant get it up to speed even though i practice with a metronome...please help!!!

Replies (8)

September 2, 2004 at 01:40 AM · I think there was a discussion about this before but since I'm in the same situation I'll tell you of some of the suggestions I've heard. I originally tried to slide down by doing a vibrato type of thing but it didn't sound "notey" enough usually. Then I found out that sliding down with my arm tense (just pretend you're the worst violinist you can think of) with a little bit of the vibrato feeling. This worked for a while but my arm kept on going dead beat after doing it for a while so I decided maybe that wasn't the best way to do it. Then I got to suggestion to squeeze (just lightly) my thumb and whatever finger I'm sliding down on for every note (doing it slowly and eventually working my way up). This didn't work at first but it helped when I tensed my arm up a bit and did this instead of the vibrato motion. And the final suggestion was to straighten out whatever finger I'm sliding on and then just glide it back but just giving a little (meaning not even lifting the finger off the string) finger articulation for each note. I still haven't decided which one works best for me yet. It's kind of like I can do it one day but not the next so I have to experiment with a different way of doing it. My teacher just tells me to experiment. As for the veloce up bow staccato, I'm still stuck on this too. My teacher just told me to do it seperate since I couldn't get it lol.

September 2, 2004 at 02:49 AM · Gasp! The Upbow Veloce is one of the showiest parts of the piece! LoL, it is really hard, and I never had it down perfectly, but just start with like... 10 notes, and grip each note with the bow, bite it, and then go a teeny bit, just enough so you can recognize the pitch. Then do more and more notes. I think there was like 28 total or something. You'll get it in time. Or just fake it. But don't do it seperate! As for the glissando, I'm not quite sure where you're talking about, but when I played it I just did sort of a hard vibrato, and did this catepillar effect where I just shifted my hand down everytime the vibrato swung towards the nut. Do you know what I'm saying? Like, during the vibrato, you swing towards the bridge and then nut, just do it more (like double more) towards the nut.

- Wenhao Sun

September 2, 2004 at 04:17 AM · Gliss - Try it without your thumb and straighten your gliss. finger.

Staccato - Work up the speed on easier finger patterns.

Ex, 0-1-2-3-4-3-2-1-0 on open string, then on scales in 1st position, then on 3 octave scales.

Son't try a new fingerpattern until you got the first one in tempo.

Speed exercise 1 - Metronome

60 bpm

1/note/beat - play the note as short as you can.

- Listen first to the start of every note, crystal clear and sharp.

- Listen to the pause. It should be a real silence, and you must be relaxeed in the silence.

Then.

2/notes/beat

3/notes/beat

4/notes/beat

6/notes/beat

8/notes/beat

When you play it satisfying - speed up the metronome one notch. (63 bpm on mechanical ones)

Try to play the same patterns with accelerando/ritardando - Crecendo/Decrecendo, and with terasse dynamics. FF on the way up and pp on the way down and vice versa.

Remember to always listen to your sound, that's the signal if you can do it or not!

September 4, 2004 at 02:51 PM · I wanted to know for ages-but at what level do you think Zigeunerweisen is? Is it advanced or intermediate? Sorry patrick I used your thread...

September 4, 2004 at 05:16 PM · Yes, Zigeurnerweisen is advanced. The gliss is easy, and It might sound not "notey" enough that's not what the audience hears; see it's all an effect. The hard part is the up-bow staccato (however, Wieniawski 1, has 60 note staccato up and down bow. Yikes.) and the harmonic section at the end.

September 5, 2004 at 02:04 PM · thanks! :)

September 5, 2004 at 02:04 PM · Matt!

September 6, 2004 at 06:14 PM · do you have truoble with the "jerk", i.e. the spasm that makes you do the chromatic part, or is it not chromatic, i.e. the control is not there so you're not playing the notes?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe