Help With Gliga Violin

August 30, 2004 at 05:52 PM · I would like to get a 4/4 violin for my daughter. I do not play

the instrument myself. But I know that I would really like a warm,

rich sweet tone from the violin. I have listened to several 4/4

violins and none has the warm tone. I have listened to an Eastman, a

German (Hofner). I liked the tone of a Chinese brand Rei-WeiShee (or

something like that? woodwinds and brasswinds sells these). I hear raves about Gliga Violins? Does anyone

have any experience with these violins. I am interested in the Gliga

Professional or Meastro not their student versions. Thank you for all

help!!

SCM

Replies (21)

August 30, 2004 at 07:57 PM · ...there's a bit of a discussion going on here...don't know if it's of use to you or not...

http://www.stringworks.com/discussion/messages/2/1277.html?1093892227

August 30, 2004 at 08:03 PM · SCM,

I don't know much about the Gliga line. However you may want to try a few other violins from shops in your area.

Your profile says you're based in Cupertino. If so, you may want to check out Scott Cao Violins in Campbell. Cao has some very nice violins that's within the price range of the Gliga. Or you may also try Kamimoto Strings. Another option will be the Jay Haide violins from Ifshin in Berkeley. Berkeley may be a bit further for you, but the Jay Haide line is also very good. The best thing about these 3 violin shops is they're local and can provide you service and upgrade option on your violin.

August 31, 2004 at 12:05 AM · I haven't had any experience with them but I am getting one. I'm getting one with a lion scroll on it, and as far as I know they're pretty good. If you want some selection, theree's a website, www.violinslover.com, that has a lot of them, but it would be better to go to a store and buy one.

It's always good to try new things, so I would suggest getting one (and if you get it in less than a year, let me know how it is, since it's going to take me a year to save up for one).

Best of luck!

-sara

August 31, 2004 at 03:35 AM · What about a Chinese violin from chineseviolins.com

August 31, 2004 at 07:50 PM · I am an amateur violinist and bought a Gliga Maestro I half a year ago. I must say I am very satisfied witht the instrument. The sound, as is widely reported by others on the internet, is warm and dark. The violin looks excellent. I play in two orchestras and had several people try it, and all were positive about the instrument. Of course, due realize that, like any completely new instrument, it takes some months to 'grow' to its real quality; don't expect a brilliant sound the first time you take it out of the box.

September 7, 2004 at 12:30 AM · I am a solo violinist and have just bought a gliga vasile maestro gunari violin.this violin is amazing,the quality is great.I have heard 2 real strads in concert that I would not trade this violin for/ in a blind fold test.yes my violin is that good !

September 25, 2004 at 08:31 AM · Ihave a ten year old daughter who is grade 5 level. She would love a coloured violin, a 3/4 size, Does anyone know of a really good quality violin with a rich tone?

September 25, 2004 at 12:37 PM · First, warm and dark usually means "disappear" in a performance situation. A good violin should be brilliant, intense, rich, resonant with fast response and easy playability.

Second, setup is exceptionally important. Setup can greatly impact the tone.

Third, violins break in.

OK, Gligas tend to be built to the Gliga style, which isn't really like the other traditions. Sort of a world to itself. The ones I've had were so dull sounding that I needed to change the cut on my bridge to get enough high-frequency response, and the necks were quite clubby. They may have improved. But once I'd trimmed the necks and figured out the setup they made good fiddles. I ended up using steel strings on them to get sufficient volume. I had GEMS, GAMA, and Maestro levels. Students like them because of the comfortable warm sound under the ear and the forgiving playing characteristics.

We've ended up using the Angels line reviewed and liked in Strings Magazine in 2001, and also parts of the Eastman line. In the Angels line I quite like the CA903, a good antiqued del Gesu pattern. In the Eastman line, the Frederick Wyss I tried was so nice I ordered one for the shop.

Setup and string choice can certainly make these (or any other) violins sound warmer and darker. But as I mentioned above, that isn't necessarily the ideal for a violin. I think many violinists are really viola players who never figured it out.

Steve

September 29, 2004 at 08:41 PM · I (or rather my parents) bought a Gliga maestro about five years ago. I've noticed that over the years, the tone has gotten much better and the projection is also better now. I just bought a smaller (7/8) violin and I must say, even though I love my Gliga one, the violin I just bought is much better and I love it. I would recommend a Gliga despite my new favorite though.

September 30, 2004 at 12:40 PM · I haven't had much experience with Gliga, but take a look at Snow Violins and Violins by Greggory Sapp. For the Snow violins, go to http://www.snowviolin.com/. To see the Greggory Sapp instruments, to go Sharmusic.com and do a search for Sapp.

A friend of mine owns a Snow Violin and it sounds beautiful! It's got a rich, clear and pure tone to it. I just purchased a Sapp instrument and I absolutely adore it! It's a 7/8th instrument with the tone of some of the great masterpiece instruments such as Amati or Strad.

November 28, 2011 at 01:42 AM · I'd like to contribute my 2 cents on the subject: I play many stringed instruments, but hadn't touched a violin in 30 years, until just a few yrs. ago: wound up buying a "Gems 2 advanced student" model Gliga: the violin itself was $250, with all the accesories (bow, case, rosin, shoulder rest) came up to $380.00 and I was quite comfortable with it, right away. Stays in tune very well, easy to play. After the 1st year, I changed the strings: had the Thomastik Dominants, but switched to Evah Pirazzi synthetic. I have since re-learned everything I knew as a child, plus now, I am learning advanced orchestral and chamber music. It's just getting easier and easier to play, and these strings are 2 yrs. old, and still staying very well in tune, and is still just as solid as the day I bought it. PS: even though I couldn't play it in person before the purchase, I felt very confident, since they give you a 7 day satifaction guaranty on it: if you're not happy, just return it for a full refund: that sold me on the quality.

August 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM · Gliga Violins Rock. They are great sounding and beautiful looking and very cheap for what they are. I own 2 (GAMMA and MAESTRO) and love them both. The sound was beautiful out of the box and has gotten more mature and darker as time goes by (3 years). Stay away from chinese violins in my humble opinion. It would be rare to find a good sounding chinese one, but it is rare to find a bad sounding Gliga.

August 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM · It would be rare to find a good sounding chinese one, but it is rare to find a bad sounding Gliga.

I don't know about the second part, as I have never played a Gliga, but the first part is absolutely untrue.

August 13, 2013 at 08:12 PM · I play violin and viola. Both are Gligas, and both sound good. When a friend and I play our Gliga violins together, they sound like siblings singing together. Of course, it helps that there's a Gliga shop nearby - we went there and tried instruments until we found the sound we wanted. Try as many as you can - you won't be disappointed.

August 13, 2013 at 08:52 PM · Gliga makes nice violins, as do many of the Chinese makers out there today like Snow. The most important thing you can do is NOT BUY IT ONLINE! Go to a store and have your child try it out. Let them feel comfortable with it. See how the tone sounds when they play it.

August 13, 2013 at 09:09 PM · I believe Gliga has a 7 day (or 14 day, I forget) money back guarantee. They ship from California, so it'd be easy to try one out for yourself without much risk involved.

I've had good luck with Chinese violins as well.

August 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM · I've had really good luck with antique violins, and at my prices find they almost invariably sound better than similarly priced new violins.......

August 19, 2013 at 09:11 PM · "I think many violinists are really viola players who never figured it out."

That explains why I like my warm, dark, oversized violin! (I started out on the viola...)

September 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM · Avoid them like the plague. I have a maestro violin and with all the setup I gave it it just loses it after a few months and returns to a dull, unresponsive sound. From all the Gligas I've played, the cheaper ones sound a lot better.

September 1, 2013 at 04:02 PM · Oliviu - I shared pretty much what you said. I tried the cheaper ones and they're actually pretty good for the money, so I bought their higher end model and end up with huge disappointment...

September 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM · They are pretty violins, and I went to chineseviolins.com and listening to the sound clip I as impressed, however drawing out the best of a violin depends a lot on the violinist. The Hondge family makes fantastic violins too. Check them out on eBay or their home page online.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe