Ysaye's 8 violin concertos

August 29, 2004 at 04:07 AM · Does anyone know where i can find recordings of the Ysaye's concertos?

Replies (14)

September 9, 2004 at 06:47 PM · ummmm....8 violin concertos by Eugene Ysaye, the Belgian dude. Im affraid he never composed any violin concertos...i wish he did

September 9, 2004 at 06:56 PM · No, he did write concertos. They were very early works, and so are likely very hard to find, if they are even in print. I know they exist, but have not found any current publications so far.

September 9, 2004 at 10:10 PM · Yes, he did write.

You may well try the Editions Schott Freres (actually they are published by Editions Ysaye in Belgium). I don't think even they publish the concerti, but that's where I got the Ysaye's String Trio and other stuff, in facsimile.

September 10, 2004 at 02:08 AM · he did, and i've been looking for them, also there's no recordings i'm pretty sure. Tell you what, let me try some tricks and see if i can't unearth them.

September 10, 2004 at 01:48 PM · Hmm, so how weird is this? On one thread we have people looking for recording by Victor Pikazien, on another thread we have people looking for recordings of Ysaye's violin concertos. I found an LP of Pikazien playing an Ysaye violin concerto (plus the Dvorak).... unfortunately there's only one!

http://www9.gemm.com/ddc/search.pl?&a_refno=GML608362601

September 12, 2004 at 06:17 PM · *BIG SIGH*

I can't believe even violinists do not know that he wrote voilin concertos. He was one of the greatest violinists of his time, wrote amazing literature even though he had no formal composition instruction. He even was taught by Wieniawski and Vieuxtemps, who seem to way over shadow him. I do not know on the number of Violin concertos he wrote, but it's comprable to Vieuxtemps.

October 18, 2004 at 06:30 AM · Hi everyone,

I got a recording of the 8th violin concerto by Ysaye. It is a recording of a broadcast performance of the Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie under Velisar Gentchev and Albrecht Breuninger playing the violin.

Perhaps some other concertos by Ysaye were performed and recorded (privately) this way.

Anyone outside there having these other recordings??

Tobias

February 22, 2005 at 10:06 PM · From http://www.sudbrackmusik.de/breuninger/breuninger_e.htm

'Breuninger has recorded the complete works for violin and orchestra by Eugène Ysaye for the WDR. Those will soon be released on CD. Among these were also works which were never recorded before. The music was partially difficult to find. It is a remarkable coincidence that Breuninger, whose prize in Brussels is called 'Prix Ysaye', has a special affinity to Ysayes music since his early youth'.

Can anyone find out how i can aquire the CD?

February 23, 2005 at 02:31 AM · Once it comes out, it might be available in Tower or Amazon.

February 24, 2005 at 01:16 PM · Hello Matt,

I asked the guys from the subbrack music, and they said that Breuninger has recorded all the violin concertos by Ysaye three years ago. The radio station WDR then had different negotiations with the cpo label from Germany. Mister Subbrack told me that it is now planned to release the recordings in April this year. But he was not sure, if cpo can keep the term. So you have to keep your eyes open.

Best,

Tobias

February 24, 2005 at 03:36 PM · Hi,

Tobias and Matt, thanks for the great info. I will keep an eye out for that one. Looks very interesting and promising indeed. Cheers!

February 25, 2005 at 12:25 AM · It's just like Wieniawski other two violin concertos...I want them terribly, but i will never find them.

February 25, 2005 at 05:57 PM · other two violin concertos?

February 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM · http://imslp.org/wiki/Violin_Concerto_in_E_major_(Ysa%C3%BFe,_Eug%C3%A8ne) This http: contains a page that proves there is a copy of a Ysaye violin concerto out there...but you can't legal obtain a free copy because of U.S. laws currently protecting it for up to a certain period of time. If you live outside the U.S. your a.o.k., unlike myself.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe